Tsunami Warning Saturday Oct. 27, 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tsunami Warning Saturday Oct. 27, 2012

I am glad that this was basically a non-event for all my friends, and Ohana out there. Glad everyone is safe! Sure must be scary at the time though.

For those that evacuated, how was it? Was it gridlock, or pretty well organized? I couldn't imagine having to get out of say Honolulu, especially the main resort area, if it were a tsunami heading towards the south side. . . craziness.
    flickr

An email from God:
    To: People of Earth
    Date: 9/04/2007
    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

Comment

Gridlock, to the point where emergency vehicles had trouble getting through.
      Lots of people leaving the evacuation zones, but almost as many driving INTO them to watch the waves.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Tatt...I stayed put on the 19th floor. High rises evacuate up. The biggest problem, as I see it, is people who don't follow directions. I spoke with my buildings security this afternoon. Their eye witness stories of stupid behavior were amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
          Gridlock, to the point where emergency vehicles had trouble getting through.
          Lots of people leaving the evacuation zones, but almost as many driving INTO them to watch the waves.
          It didn't help that the tsunami warning was given a little more than two and a half hours before the first wave was expected to come. Attempting to evacuate from areas like Waikiki or Ewa Beach in that short a time frame is just crazy. Hopefully, the folks at the PTWC will use the lessons learned from this latest tsunami scare to get a better handle on future situations.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            It didn't help that the tsunami warning was given a little more than two and a half hours before the first wave was expected to come. Attempting to evacuate from areas like Waikiki or Ewa Beach in that short a time frame is just crazy. Hopefully, the folks at the PTWC will use the lessons learned from this latest tsunami scare to get a better handle on future situations.
            Yeah, they really ought to try to give a warning BEFORE the earthquake occurs, that would be most helpful!

The earthquake occurred at 5:04 pm Hawai`i Time, and PTWC issued their tsunami warning at 7:09 pm HT, with waves expected to arrive at 10:28 pm HT. Granted, even a nearly three-and-a-half hour window isn't going to make much of a difference in those areas, but how psychic do you expect them to be? They needed time to receive wave readings from sea buoys to make predictions as to anticipated directions and wave heights before issuing a warning.

Or should we be like the Italians who convicted seismologists for failing to predict an earthquake?

Comment

FM...there's also the matter of distance. BC to Hawaii is approx. 2700 miles. That made for less lead time than we got for the Japan tsunami which traveled approx. 3700 miles. IIRC, there are also fewer bouys to read between Canada and Hawaii with greater distances between them which equates to more time to receive info. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Another problem, as I see it, isn't the way PTWC handled this situation. Rather, there are just too many cars on this island! We have similar traffic jams without a tsunami warning! I'm not pro-rail but I did wonder that night if rail could've/would've helped with evacuation, either out or up.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                ... I did wonder that night if rail could've/would've helped with evacuation, ... up.
                Railway to Heaven
                Greg

Comment

IIRC, there are also fewer bouys to read between Canada and Hawaii with greater distances between them which equates to more time to receive info. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
                  You're 100% correct, Tutu.
                  And hey, they predicted the first waves would arrive at 10:28, and they were only 2 minutes off. Almost 3,000 miles and they were only 2 minutes off! Hot stuff!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    Yeah, they really ought to try to give a warning BEFORE the earthquake occurs, that would be most helpful!
                    You know, I wasn't blaming anyone in my post. Not the PTWC. Not Civil Defense. Not the governor. And not the people who were trying to evacuate their own families. I just said that it didn't help traffic matters when the time given to evacuate is so short. And as a result, things got crazy and erratic on the road. But it was one of those things that couldn't be helped, under the circumstances.

Your sarcastic tone and lecture are uncalled for.

FM...there's also the matter of distance. BC to Hawaii is approx. 2700 miles. That made for less lead time than we got for the Japan tsunami which traveled approx. 3700 miles.
                    Yes, Sue. I'm well aware of the difference in distance. Please read my comment above. Once again, I'm not blaming anyone for the short evacuation time.

IIRC, there are also fewer bouys to read between Canada and Hawaii with greater distances between them which equates to more time to receive info.
                    According to the director of the PTWC in a KHON interview,

There's no history of strong tsunamis coming from that part of the Pacific and therefore, no buoys were strategically placed between the quake's epicenter and the Hawaiian islands.

"That main beam of energy didn't cross one of the buoys, the buoys were way off to the side of that main beam," said McCreery.
                    Charles McCreery is saying no buoys were in the path of this particular tsunami.

And at the ending of that KHON news video, Tammy Mori noted that one of the lessons learned by the experts was the need to re-position buoys so as to better handle tsunami threats coming from Canada.

So yes, as I stated in my previous post, the PTWC (by their own admission) learned more than a few new things with this latest tsunami alert.
                    Last edited by Frankie's Market; October 29, 2012, 01:14 PM.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

You know, I wasn't blaming anyone in my post. Not the PTWC.
                      I suppose if you can claim that you didn't blame anyone, then I guess I can claim I didn't accuse you of blaming anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
                        Ha! Even 4 stories would suffice!
                        [...]
                        Yes, Sue. I'm well aware of the difference in distance. Please read my comment above. Once again, I'm not blaming anyone for the short evacuation time.[...]
                        It kinda sounded like it, FM.
                        Charles McCreery is saying no buoys were in the path of this particular tsunami.[...]
                        I heard words to the contrary on one of the newscasts Sat. nite. Sorry, can't remember which one. Regardless, the evening was a good disaster training exercise and we should be thankful we're not experiencing what the east coast is.
                        ETA: There are bouys off of Canada and bouys off of Hawaii but none in between, as I understand it. The delay had to do with the in between!
                        Last edited by tutusue; October 29, 2012, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Yes, Sue. I'm well aware of the difference in distance. Please read my comment above. Once again, I'm not blaming anyone for the short evacuation time.
                          It kinda sounded like it, FM.
                          If you read my statement as one that is scapegoating somebody, then whatever. I can honestly say that wasn't my intention.

Charles McCreery is saying no buoys were in the path of this particular tsunami.
                          I heard words to the contrary on one of the newscasts Sat. nite. Sorry, can't remember which one.
                          Things that are said in the heat of the moment are often not as accurate after the experts have had some time to sit down and carefully consider all the data that has been gathered. Hawaii News Now has also interviewed the PTWC's director, where he emphasized the total absence of buoys placed in the tsunami's path and the possibility of re-positioning the buoys.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/1...urdays-tsunami

The director of the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said NOAA has 32 DART buoys strategically placed in the Pacific Ocean, but none in the area of Saturday's earthquake.
                          He said the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, its counterpart in Alaska, NOAA headquarters and the National Data Buoy Center will talk about moving a dart buoy to the blind spot.

"That will definitely be high on the list of things to discuss," he said. "Can we reposition something off of that area given that now we know it's a tsunami-genic zone?"

But it's a balancing act. You don't want to move a buoy and leave yourself vulnerable in another area.
                          Last edited by Frankie's Market; October 30, 2012, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Big Island police are investigating 8 burglaries conducted during the evacuation in the Keaukaha area, its a felony with up to a 20 year sentence.

Comment

We wouldn't have to be considering moving buoys, if we had just had a large enough network of old buoys.
                              Greg

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
                                We wouldn't have to be considering moving buoys, if we had just had a large enough network of old buoys.
                                Leave it to another "Greg" to come up with a good pun - you get bonus points for floating that one, GL.

Comment

Working...
                                X