Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Na Mea Ho`ohau`oli > The Big Picture
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old March 26th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Ali`i

Default The various works of The Three Stooges

http://indiefilm.movies.yahoo.com/article-9-/
I can see Jim Carrey as Curly. But, Sean Penn and Benicio del Toro are too serious for these roles.
Old March 26th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: The Three Stooges

Moe was a serious guy, he never told jokes and he was always the one slapping the other two guys (mostly Curly) when they said or did something stupid.

Larry was a character who was mostly in the middle.
Old March 26th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Luna

You know what I'd like to see come from Hollywood? An original idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
I can see Jim Carrey as Curly. But, Sean Penn and Benicio del Toro are too serious for these roles.
Jeff Spicoli might not agree with you:
Old March 26th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Time for them to break out and give us some laffs. economic times call for hollywood escapism for all of us. it's the cycle. economic downturns generate hollywood hoot films. not really such a bad idea when the goal is to get people's minds off their troubles and into the darkened theatres. pretty soon the movie houses will start giving away dishes, t-shirts and iTunes gift cards.
Old March 26th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Ali`i

Default Can you say...

...FLOP!

Even the Stooges had a hard time maintaining the high level of creativity and humor.
Watched 5 hours of Stooges yesterday...
Old March 26th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Ali`i

From the website that was referenced in the base note:

Quote:
The film is not a biopic but a fictional treatment that maintains the Stooges' gleeful slap schtick updated for a modern milieu.
Let's see you can have the 3 Stooges working at a computer tech support place or have them as a fast food drive thru crew (I guess melted cheeseburgers can stick to the ceiling just as well as cream pies).
Old March 26th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Ali`i

THE THREE STOOGES shorts were a popular feature in our Saturday morning "Mickey Mouse Club" movies back in the old days. Along with the main feature (western or John Wayne war flick) and the cartoons.

A lot of stuff gets re-cycled these days: movies, tV programs, music. Is there a limit on original ideas?
Old March 27th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Kumu

Send a message via AIM to LocalMotion

Quote:
Sean Penn is an amazing actor. He becomes his character very well. I wouldn't bet against Penn pulling this off.
Old March 27th, 2009, 02:12 AM
Ali`i

I can't see Moe as a quiet assassin and Larry having a mental breakdown. But, I liked the Farrelly brothers' movies. So, it's going to have crude humor. What's going to be in the pies during a pie fight?

Last edited by Walkoff Balk; March 27th, 2009 at 02:13 AM. Reason: add
Old March 27th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Ali`i

Cup cakes, twinkes, and Ho Ho's could be used, but pies still exist.
Old March 27th, 2009, 04:10 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Can you say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
...FLOP!
We'll have to see.

I remember how so many folks were prepared to hate Robert Downey Jr.'s Chaplin before they even saw it. And yet, those skeptics came out of the theater as Downey converts.

It'll be interesting to see if Penn, Carrey, and del Toro can develop the same kind of chemistry that the Howard brothers and Larry Fine had, which is very critical in making slapstick style comedy something that will truly be funny to a mature audience instead of fodder for the kiddies who think that pie-throwing is hilarious, in and of itself.
Old March 28th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Ali`i

How about a remake of The Curly Shuffle?
Old March 31st, 2009, 02:56 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
...FLOP!

Even the Stooges had a hard time maintaining the high level of creativity and humor.
Watched 5 hours of Stooges yesterday...
Did they even show the ones with the effeminate Curly Joe with his limp-wristed slap back at Moe? The Three Stooges might have jumped the shark after Shemp died.
Old March 31st, 2009, 01:42 PM
Ali`i

Default No Joe allowed!

Everything is archived on home recorded vid, nothing but Curly and Shemp w/Moe and poor ol' Larry, that guy took gas!

In about '65, while driving down Santa Monica Bl. (in Hollywood...), we saw Larry pulled over and getting a ticket. He was not happy.
Old April 1st, 2009, 04:20 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Did they even show the ones with the effeminate Curly Joe with his limp-wristed slap back at Moe? The Three Stooges might have jumped the shark after Shemp died.
I second that. But in fairness to Curly Joe, the whole Stooge act was already starting to show unmistakeable signs of age and decay years before he joined the trio. Even Moe's and Larry's performances began to look forced as they got older. It really is too bad that the boys didn't call it a day after Shemp died instead of trying to carry on with pretenders like Joe Besser and Curly Joe.
Old April 1st, 2009, 12:29 PM
Ali`i

The 'forced' appearances were in full bloom even in the Curly days once they became a hit, got over the two dollar budget, and had use of the major studio lot. It had already become fomula-ized. But still funny!
Old April 2nd, 2009, 01:59 AM
Ali`i

Did Larry talk more when Curly wasn't there anymore?
Old April 2nd, 2009, 02:31 AM
Ali`i

No, it wasn't Larry's dialogue that was the problem.

I'm not sure if it was because the Stooges were getting on in age or because Joe and Curly Joe were being broken in, but by the mid-1950s, the timing of the physical comedy just didn't seem as sharp. Just as an example, Moe's eyepokes didn't look as quick and precise as it did during the days when Curly and Shemp were a part of the act. (Of course, those were supposed to be fake eyepokes. But with the "new" actors coming on board, perhaps Moe was exercising more caution.) And of course, the slapstick action (i.e. the boys "accidentally" swinging objects around and banging each other's heads) was sometimes out of sync, which made their pratfalls look forced.

The last few shorts that the Stooges did with Joe Besser were lackluster, but still good enough for a few laughs. The feature-length films with Curly Joe, OTOH, are garbage. There's a reason why the classic Columbia shorts have been played over-and-over again on TV, while the later movies are rarely seen.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 03:17 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
I'm not sure if it was because the Stooges were getting on in age or because Joe and Curly Joe were being broken in, but by the mid-1950s, the timing of the physical comedy just didn't seem as sharp. Just as an example, Moe's eyepokes didn't look as quick and precise as it did during the days when Curly and Shemp were a part of the act. (Of course, those were supposed to be fake eyepokes.
I guess this is going to happen in Jackie Chan movies.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 02:09 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
Moe's eyepokes didn't look as quick and precise as it did during the days when Curly and Shemp were a part of the act. (Of course, those were supposed to be fake eyepokes. But with the "new" actors coming on board, perhaps Moe was exercising more caution.) And of course, the slapstick action (i.e. the boys "accidentally" swinging objects around and banging each other's heads) was sometimes out of sync, which made their pratfalls look forced. The last few shorts that the Stooges did with Joe Besser were lackluster.
That's because Besser was as he seemed, a wimp that didn't at all enjoy the rough stuff.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 02:45 PM
Ali`i

Wonder if they'll sing too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_Y6UKMp8Qw
Old April 2nd, 2009, 04:45 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
That's because Besser was as he seemed, a wimp that didn't at all enjoy the rough stuff.
Maybe so, but Larry and Curly didn't enjoy it when gags went wrong and they ended up being badly hurt. Moe admitted in interviews that there were times when he accidentally did actual eyepokes, which is anything but funny when it did happen on the set. Of course, this was back in the days before studios insured their actors, so the Stooges were sometimes exposed to real hazards. They might have accepted the dangers as being a part of their jobs, but as I said, it didn't make it pleasant for anyone involved when someone really got hurt.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 08:07 PM
Ali`i

Default Oh, what's a little charred flesh? It's art!

There was the time Curly was secured on the rotisseri like a pig on a spit, and the crew let the fire get way too big and even MOE LARRY - MOE LARRY couldn't help him...
Old April 6th, 2011, 03:38 AM
Ali`i

http://blog.movies.yahoo.com/blog/10...ly-last-stooge

Will this be a bad or fab-u-lous casting of Sean Hayes as Larry? I never watched Will and Grace, so I don't know if his character had a catch phrase.
Old October 27th, 2011, 12:40 AM
Ali`i

While waiting to get in to the movie I went to last night there was a poster for The Three Stooges movie. It didn't give much details other than a URL, the year it was going to open which is 2012, a silhouette of the stooges with the words Just Say Moe.

According to IMDb this movie opens April 4, 2012, so far no trailer has been released.