X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tropical Cyclone Gene leaves 6 dead in Fiji

http://www.livenews.com.au/Articles/..._with_six_dead

From a different article:
    Spokesman Pajiliai Dobui says Cyclone Gene caught many by surprise.

"We were not really ready for it since the hurricane just developed all of a sudden and then we were caught off balance when it struck," he said.

"I'm not sure what our Met office in Nadi would say, this one really followed a pattern which is quite different from the pattern we normally follow.
    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Re: Tropical Cyclone Gene leaves 6 dead in Fiji

I saw this on the news this morning and immediately thought of Menehune Man. His lovely wife, Mrs. Menehune, is from Fiji. I hope all's well with her family, MM.

Comment

It made a mess in Naimasimasi Village, which is between Korovou and Suva.
      Although her village is near the sea there's a large mangrove along the shoreline there. Don't believe anyone of my wife's family hurt, though some houses were damaged.

Thanks TutuSue for thinking of us!
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Glad you checked in, MM, and I hope your Fiji ohana hasn't suffered too much damage.

Comment

Luckily Mrs. Menehune got through because now no phone numbers she's called will connect in Fiji. Last time that happened was "Coup time".

Comment

Isa MM - I didn't realize your wife was kaiviti!

I also am of Fijian descent. Our family is from the island of Gau, which seems to have been spared during this cyclone. Although we do have a lot of family in Suva - Laucala Bay (where I lived with my grandparents as a child) & Delainamasi - the family in Australia have confirmed that all our family in Fiji have made it through OK.

Does your wife make roti? It is my favorite dish from Fiji though I never learned to prepare it.

Silly question but is she a rugby fan? I am off to the USA Sevens Rugby tournament in San Diego next week - to support my beloved Manu Samoa, the All Blacks, Team USA and of course, FIJI! I hear there will be a lot of kaiviti in attendance so I look forward to running into some family!! Fiji of course won the tournament last year and they will be hard to beat this year too!!!
            My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
              1) Isa MM - I didn't realize your wife was kaiviti!

2) I also am of Fijian descent.

3) Does your wife make roti? It is my favorite dish from Fiji though I never learned to prepare it.

4) Silly question but is she a rugby fan?
              Bula Mulaka Kiwidiva!
              Here's my Fijian nickname... for a laugh!
              Ratu Veli Levu (King of the Menehune)
              I got that because I always do things backwards to them.
              Like one day I cleaned up our front yard and the very next morning was village clean up day. Kaivalagi miss timing. HaHa!

1) Yes, full on. Adi even.
              2) Cool, I'll PM you with our phone number so you two can talk.
              3) Funny you should ask. Truly, just this morning she said it's time for roti curry. So call her! She's an incredible cook.
              4) It's illegal to not be. Right?

Moce mada

Comment

Most of the crops from "subsistence" gardens were wiped out in the area.
                They're hoping for government assistance and of course we'll help too!

Always remember how lucky we are to live in Hawai'i!

Comment

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...652890341.html

And they had an earthquake this morning but luckily, it wasn't a strong one and doesn't seem to have caused any damage.

Comment

Working...
                  X