Weird Hawaii Road Signs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Weird Hawaii Road Signs

I haven't taken a picture yet, but as I walk from the office at Dole/University down toward Puck's Alley, there are signs under the overpass that read 'Dead Birds Call xxx-xxxx'.

The state apparently will retrieve any little deceased bird bodies lying under the bridge if you call and tell them. However, the cartoonist side of my brain conjures up an image of zombie birds peeping and clucking into little cel phones.....

Comment

I love that "Whoa" sign. So do my kids:

I also love "sign" threads. I get to pull out these oldies but goodies:

They were an art installation in Chinatown. Apparently not authorized and shortlived.

Comment

Someone's a wiseguy. Maybe even an MC Hammer fan.

Comment

"Donkey Crossing" sign on Queen Kaahumanu Hwy north of Kona.
          The donkeys are now gone (relocated), but the sign is still there.

"Dead end" sign at end of a roadway in Honolulu, which happens to be the border of a cemetary. (I have an old picture, but no way to post it.)
          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
            "Donkey Crossing" sign on Queen Kaahumanu Hwy north of Kona.
            The donkeys are now gone (relocated), but the sign is still there.

"Dead end" sign at end of a roadway in Honolulu, which happens to be the border of a cemetary. (I have an old picture, but no way to post it.)
            I think the signs remain there for those jackasses who jaywalk the Queen Kaahumanu Highway...you know the two-legged kind searching for white rocks to make their statements?
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
              ...you know the two-legged kind searching for white rocks to make their statements?
              Well, there really isn't that much else to do between Kona and the turnoff to Hapuna.
              The white rocks do not bother me so much, but the jerks who paint on the black lava with white spraypaint deserve to have to do some public service, like warning tourists not to jaywalk across the busy highway. (And the spray painter are not usually tourists, but are mostly our own homegrown jerks.)
              Sorry to go off topic of "road signs".
              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

OK...so I know this isn't a ROAD sign, but it's a sign in Hawaii at least...

Wonder how long it will take them (if they ever bother) to replace this one instead of the hastily added "gl" permanent marker repair?

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
                  OK...so I know this isn't a ROAD sign, but it's a sign in Hawaii at least...

Wonder how long it will take them (if they ever bother) to replace this one instead of the hastily added "gl" permanent marker repair?
                  braille signs for many Hawaii public school classrooms now say "assroom"
                  Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by liberty View Post
                    Someone's a wiseguy. Maybe even an MC Hammer fan.
                    Someone in my Seattle neighborhood has done a similar one, with the same lettering, but saying CAN'T STOP DANCIN' .

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      Someone in my Seattle neighborhood has done a similar one, with the same lettering, but saying CAN'T STOP DANCIN' .
                      I saw a stop sign with the words underneath that read: The War

As a conservative I get a laugh everytime I drive along Makuu Drive here in Keaau that reads: Blind Hill Yield to the Right. My take on that is to yield to Conservatism because Capital Hill is Blind.

Comment

It always annoys me when I see signs that say Slow Children At Play.
                        Is there no consideration for fast children? Are we only supposed to be careful around children who are, um, developmentally short-changed?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                          It always annoys me when I see signs that say Slow Children At Play.
                          Is there no consideration for fast children? Are we only supposed to be careful around children who are, um, developmentally short-changed?
                          As taken from that old Andy Bumatai joke about Pohukaina School on 18th Avenue in Kaimuki.

Comment

Taking the #56 Bus back to Honolulu on Saturday night, there was a lighted sign around the enterance to the Pali Highway that said "Low Hovering Helicopter".

One has to wonder how low that helicopter is hoving such that cars driving on the Pali have to avoid from hitting it?

Comment

A dandy website is www.hawaiihighways.com .
                              There are lots of observations about roads and signs on the Islands.
                              Some signs are survivors from long ago.

Comment

I found this humorous considering the 5-0 behind me had obviously said nothing to the people already down in the valley or myself as I proceeded to climb over by Hanauma Bay where the famous "From Here to Eternity" kissing scene was filmed.

If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Working...
                                X