Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I quit at Wal-Mart

(no, this isn't a friday the 13th joke)

Today, my shift started at 9am, and for the next 3 hours, it had me pushing in carts by myself. I tolerated it for the past 2 weeks since another coworker went home after his back was sore (he since been calling in sick). The managers knew I was the only person working outside, but they only called people when the inside bin had less than 5 carts. So, when my other coworker came in 30 minutes late, we filled the inside bin up, and I said good bye.

For the past few weeks, I've been going w/out my first breaks, and whenever we do have more than 3 people, we all go to our lunches an hour late, and some even come back 30 minutes later as scheduled, making other people's lunches later.

Where will I go? Who knows? I'm keeping the computer repair job, but I won't mind working at another computer place, or I might find another job all together.

Oh, and to my coworkers: good luck, and hope that management will get their asses out of their head and help you guys. Too bad we won't see each other again unless you get out of Mililani.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: I quit at walmart

Maybe work KMart at Waikele. I shopped there a few days ago for the first time in dunno how long, and the employees took the time to ask me if I needed help while I was still shopping the aisles. I know Walmart's busier but that just doesn't happen there.

I then started noticing the better selection of things at KMart! Wow....several times more fans than Walmart ever has, what a selection. I then saw the aisle where the food storage, that fake Tupperware stuff is sold, and again, I noticed more styles and more of it. Hmm....so I go to the tool section, hardware, sorry, LOL and yeppers, there's a ton of stuff we used to have to go to Sears Pearlridge for. No more! we can just go to KMart since Sears bought them out. (I have no conection to Kmart & am not trying to help their business here, just thrilled as a consumer)

I then got tired and realized it was my third? stop and needed a bite to eat, as I was hitting the outlets next. Guess what? that eatery in there has much better food than the McD at the Walmart. (except for the cheesecake! yech.....in the garbage and just embraced my coffee)
    Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

How fast can you learn to diagnose and repair Macs?

Comment

If you don't mind leaving the dark side and joining the Jedi force, there's a job awaiting you as a Mac Genius.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Take it as EXPERIENCE! No matter what ~ you've learned a lot from working there. Came into contact with so many people whom you may see in the future. Life is about learning. Appreciate what you've gain and be thankful you have skills which others only dream of.

The best is yet to come!!

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            How fast can you learn to diagnose and repair Macs?
            My thought exactly! You have a degree in comp.sci., no? Take it from someone who went from PC to Mac (although many years ago) - it's not that hard.

Comment

Who had eighteen weeks in the pool?

Seriously, Adrian. If you did what you had to do, nobody blames you. Sometimes you just have to walk. But consider that you collected nine paychecks. Four and a half months. I disagree with Lynn: Sure you have experience, but in the working world, four point five months isn't jack. I don't doubt that you learned something; I do doubt that you learned what perhaps you should have.

You know I respect you, and forgive me if I sound judgmental, but although I really (honestly) do want to hear about the negative work environment that led to your resignation, would you humor some of us by telling us, too, either what you've learned about yourself or what it is about you that didn't suit the work? I know I'm out of line in asking for some amount of reflection, but consider that it might do you some good to get it out.
              Last edited by scrivener; July 13, 2007, 04:57 PM. Reason: "Bicycle! Bicycle!"
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                Four and a half months. I disagree with Lynn: Sure you have experience, but in the working world, four point five months isn't jack. I don't doubt that you learned something; I do doubt that you learned what perhaps you should have.
                There are so many who would give anything to work just one day. Four point five months is a lot to be proud of. How I wish I could last that long serving others.

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                  There are so many who would give anything to work just one day. Four point five months is a lot to be proud of. How I wish I could last that long serving others.

Auntie Lynn
                  Scrivener was pointing out in the working world, 4.5 months really isn't anything. Not to say it's nothing to the individual but just from a company perspective, that's how they look at it, it's too short to determine if you were a good employee or not.

Adrian, what did you not like about this job that made you quit? The actual task, cart collecting? Or was it the paycheck? Or was it the team environment which based on your description, sounds like a lack of? If it's the last one, I would suggest applying at Costco then. They are known for a really good team and work environment, not to mention way better benefits. Just my $0.02.

Comment

Who had eighteen weeks in the pool?
                    Whoever was in the pool that long must be shriveled up like a prune.
                    [/slapping self for the bad joke]

in the working world, four point five months isn't jack.
                    So true. One of my staff just hit their 14 year anniversary on the job.
                    And Adrian, 4-1/2 months on a job doesn't look good on your resume. Probably better not to even mention it.
                    Good luck to you, whatever you do.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

in the working world, four point five months isn't jack.
                      Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                      Scrivener was pointing out in the working world, 4.5 months really isn't anything.
                      Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                      And Adrian, 4-1/2 months on a job doesn't look good on your resume. Probably better not to even mention it.
                      I agree with these assessments. Not every job deserves a place on the resume. Some jobs are just for a paycheck - they are not part of a "career."
                      I know I'm out of line in asking for some amount of reflection, but consider that it might do you some good to get it out.
                      And consider that what you are thinking about it today may differ from what you think about it two weeks from now. Getting it out at both points can be valuable to you. Good luck, and I'm sure you can do better.

Comment

In defense of Adrian here, 4.5 months as a cart pusher won't be a damnation on his resume. Now 4.5 months as an IT worker may.

It's not like anyone strives to be a cart pusher for a career so his short tenure there can actually be looked upon as something an employer will think as building character on a young upcoming professional.

Adrian find a job soon though, the gap between employers will get wider and more suspect as time goes by. Most graduates who take on menial jobs like pushing carts do so only until something better comes along, like a real job pertaining to your degree.

When you quit with no plan of action or job in the hand, HR will look at that as one who quit when things got tough (as it did) and may not consider you for hire as they want someone that can go the distance.

I know it's tough as a cart pusher but hey that's what they hired you for right? You can only push so many carts at a time and nobody could have blamed you if you didn't push enough carts in a given time. My mantra has always been, "I got my 8-hours" that's all they pay me for...that's all they get. One man, one job.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

The advertising artist job I had that I discussed elsewhere only lasted a couple of months (back in the '70s) before I walked, and I feel like I was there forever and too long. On the other hand, I've been at the newspaper 28 years and it feels like I started yesterday.
                          Burl Burlingame
                          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                            Adrian, what did you not like about this job that made you quit? The actual task, cart collecting? Or was it the paycheck? Or was it the team environment which based on your description, sounds like a lack of? If it's the last one, I would suggest applying at Costco then.
                            The paycheck is the good thing. Actually, with the amount of physical work we had to do, a raise would have kept me there, but alas, it didn't.

When I do have my fellow coworkers working (there was a total of 5 of us), I opened up like a flower and we joked around like real men would. The scheduling itself was a bit whack, and that was part of the block that let me quit.

Now a major part of why I quit was management. Everyone (management and non-cart crew coworkers) looked down at us. Yes, its the bottom of the barrel, but we deserve respect for what we do - we bring in the carts that they grab and don't even go outside a few feet to grab from there. The management would sometimes help guide the carts into the store, but lately, they've been riding our behinds to bring in carts like we were 6ft 300lbs men who can lift 500lbs.

I would suggest applying at Costco then.
                            I'll stop by there to see how they operate. If its like the stories (atleast 10 people out there), then I might join them. Plus, they close so atleast they're not busting their behinds until 11pm.

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            I agree with these assessments. Not every job deserves a place on the resume. Some jobs are just for a paycheck - they are not part of a "career."
                            Well, after I mope around for a while (hopefully not for long) I'll be on the pavement again - then I'll ask how to handle this on my resume.

And if I may add this: Probably the only thing that was truly good that came out of this job, was that I lost visible weight. My stomach became a bit smaller and I feel a bit lighter. Too bad my body couldn't take much more of it - sometimes I felt like just collapsing on the road infront of cars.

And guys, thanks for not putting me down like the other local forum I visit. Compared to them, HT is like a small town where everyone knows each other's first name; while the other forum is like a big city.
                            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              Since you still have that other computer repair job, there's no gap that you need to cover. Yeah, I'd leave it off.

Comment

Working...
                              X