Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Circuit Circus
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 26th, 2007, 05:10 AM
Ali`i

Default iPod or ?

Before long I'll probably buy myself a MP3 player. I'm debating what I should get. I'd like to put my whole collection on it. I've been using a 1MB player with changeable cards, so I've got a feel for my use of it.

The first big question: iPod or something else.

Pro: Good interface, no problems finding compatible accessories.

Con: Cost. Paying quite a bit for that partially eaten fruit logo. Minimal unit in that it lacks a built-in radio or transmitter.

Comments?
Old June 26th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: iPod or ?

I would also like to know. iPod doesn't appeal to me because I really don't want to install iTunes.

http://dapreview.net/zune_vs_ipod_vs_zvm.html

Here is a comparison of Zune, iPod, and Creative Zen.
Old June 26th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Luna

Send a message via AIM to DaFerret Send a message via MSN to DaFerret

A player from i-river served me well until I changed to iPod.

I held out getting an iPod for quite some time. I missed the first gen ui (I'm a sucker for touch sensitive glowy lights). However, the clickwheel is pretty good. For my i-river player, I had to flick the rotary wheel, bring my thumb up and flick it again and then again to scroll through my library. With the clickwheel, I just rub around in a circle; clockwise to scroll down and counter to scroll up. Speed sensitive too so the faster you spin, the library will then scroll through alphabetically instead of individual songs/albums/artists. That was a marked upgrade from what I had to do previously.

iTunes music syncing also was very easy. Just had to add my stuff to the Library and/or rip my CDs then connect my iPod to my computer. Back then, there weren't many super easy to use software. I haven't kept up with the latest because I'm happy with what I have, but if players, and their syncing software, have improved then go for which ever is most affordable.

The i-river player I had did include radio, but I never missed it. I may not have a huge library, but with over 1500+ songs, I rarely used the radio. It was novelty for me. I did however, really missed the graphical remote. I had to buy the remote for the iPod but it just had controls and no LCD. I found it pretty convenient to keep my i-river clipped to my belt or in my backpack and just use the remote when I wanted to switch albums or playlists, etc. No can with the iPod (unless they released a graphical remote?).
Old June 27th, 2007, 03:19 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFerret View Post
A player from i-river served me well until I changed to iPod.
Ah, someone who has owned both. Why the switch? Any regrets?
Old June 27th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Kia`aina

Send a message via AIM to sophielynette

I have a little iRiver right now, 512MB, and I really don't have many complaints about it. It's about the size of a D battery and runs off AAAs. I like that it came with a lanyard so I just sling it around my neck, easy access and I don't have to worry about losing it in a bag or a pocket. I love that it has a built in mic and recording feature. Unfortunately it only works with Windows Media Player, and I just switched over to Mac, so I plan on getting an iPod once I have the funds.
Old June 27th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Ali`i

I have two 1GB players, a Creative Zen Nano Plus, and a Sansa c140.

But my desires and uses for a player are not typical - I don't use them to store a lot, only to dump a few discs onto at a time, listen to them all the way through while on foot or on the bus, then dump 'em and load something else.
Old June 27th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
Ah, someone who has owned both. Why the switch? Any regrets?
Other than losing the graphical remote, no regrets in switching to iPod. Of course, I like to blame the switch for causing the halo effect. :P

The ease of use with the iPod, even when I did sync it with a Windows PC, was what really made me firmly entrenched with the iPod. But like I mentioned, I didn't use the radio on the i-river much so I didn't miss it. If that's an important feature, then I'd say an i-river or any other player that has radio is fine. Back when I had the other player, it was a slight hassle to get songs on it. I'm sure nowadays that's a different story but I'm happy with my iPod and don't see a need to switch again (besides possibly the iPhone).

The eventuality of me having to ship my iPod off to Apple to get the battery replaced is a negative. But I'm betting by the time the battery doesn't hold enough charge a better alternative will be out and about.
Old June 28th, 2007, 02:51 AM
Ali`i

I don't follow the in-crowd. No iPod for me.
Old June 28th, 2007, 05:06 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
The eventuality of me having to ship my iPod off to Apple to get the battery replaced is a negative.
Sure?

But why did you switch in the first place? Did it die?

Just as a note for the others, I'll looking at a hard drive based unit. 30GB at least. I may go for the 80GB.
Old June 28th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
Sure?

But why did you switch in the first place? Did it die?

Just as a note for the others, I'll looking at a hard drive based unit. 30GB at least. I may go for the 80GB.
Sorry, I've got a 60Gig Video iPod so no manual replacing the battery for me, unless I want to chance it blowing up. :P

I switched because I wanted to see for myself what the hype was. I didn't know how easy it was to use until I got one. My i-river was still going strong when I switched.
Old June 28th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
iPod doesn't appeal to me because I really don't want to install iTunes.
You don't have to use iTunes. Check out http://www.floola.com.
Old June 28th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Ali`i

There's also Songbird, an open-source iTunes replacement.
Old June 29th, 2007, 04:27 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Sorry, I've got a 60Gig Video iPod so no manual replacing the battery for me, unless I want to chance it blowing up. :P
CompUSA only goes upto 4th Gen. But you can find 5th Gen here.
Old July 9th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zff View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
There's also Songbird, an open-source iTunes replacement.
In fact here's a list of 10 Alternatives to iTunes for managing your iPod.
Old July 13th, 2007, 03:44 AM
Kumu

Practical concerns forced me to get a new phone to satisfy my appetite for tunes on the go. Honest. Well, the random bulges in my work khakis caused by carrying around a phone and pda got old real fast anyway.

The ability to listen to music, watch movies, take/make calls, check e-mails and post on Hawaii Threads all on one device made the purchase a no-brainer for me.

Although I love Macs, I don't much care for iPods/iTunes. My toys, er, tools need to be able to do more than a few things to keep me happy.
Old July 13th, 2007, 04:37 AM
Ali`i

Nothing to do with your question but it reminded me of this article warning about possible lightning strikes and ipod (and other personal electronic gadget) users.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/ptech/0....ap/index.html
Old July 13th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Luna

So what exactly is the aversion to using iTunes? It's a free MP3/MP4/video player for Mac or PC that can also sync your music and videos to iPods.

Yes, it has the store built in, but so what? You don't HAVE to buy music from them.

You can go buy the CD from the store and rip it into iTunes AAC (MP4) and that's the end of the story. If you really don't want MP4, you can change your prefs and tell it to rip MP3 instead. This is unprotected, unencumbered by DRM of any kind.

You can use iTunes to play music on your computer. You can use it to sync your music to your iPod. You can sync your contacts, calendars and notes to your iPod for a handy PDA. You can use the visualizer for psychedelic parties or personal tripping.

(Remember, this is for FREE, folks. What the heck you want for free?)

I have hundreds of CDs ripped into my 60g video, plus dozens of albums purchased from the store.

Not only that, I have many videos, a couple of movies purchased from iTunes. I also have DOZENS of my own video projects and YouTube videos on my iPod.

I have free podcasts synced daily, and I have video podcasts synced to the iPod, as well.

You can use all those features for free. You don't have to buy anything from the store. You don't even have to LOOK at the store if you don't want to.

So what's the aversion? Don't want to install APPLE SOFTWARE on your precious PeeCee? Get over it. In fact, install Safari while you're at it!
Old July 13th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyMan View Post
So what exactly is the aversion to using iTunes? ... So what's the aversion? Don't want to install APPLE SOFTWARE on your precious PeeCee? Get over it.
Settle down there, MMan.

I've used iTunes for years on a number of PCs, both work and home, primarily for downloading podcasts. At my ex-job, I used it to assemble CD compilations for client demos.

Isn't QuickTime an Apple product, too? Most PCs run it.
Old July 13th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Ali`i

iTunes has the potentially annoying tendency to want to take over your music library and reorganize it the iTunes way. (iPhoto does this, too, with photo files.) This can be off-putting if you already have your own organization scheme established for your files.
Old July 13th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
iTunes has the potentially annoying tendency to want to take over your music library and reorganize it the iTunes way.
I remember when I installed iTunes it took over being my MP3 player. Did it ask? NO!!
Old July 13th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Luna

Wasn't talking to you, LL. Read all the posts below. Many of them mention not wanting to install iTunes. Those guys sound like they're afraid that they'll get "hooked" on the Kool Aid. That was my reference.

Before it was iTunes, it was a commercial product called SoundJam. It was GREAT! I bought a license for it wayyyy back when. Then Apple bought them and turned SoundJam into iTunes.

At first, I was unhappy, but after trying iTunes, it became apparent that I wasn't missing anything, but gaining plenty from the change.
Old July 13th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Luna

The initial setup of iTunes has always asked if you wish it to manage your music library. Same with iPhoto.
Old July 14th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Wasn't talking to you, LL. Read all the posts below. Many of them mention not wanting to install iTunes. Those guys sound like they're afraid that they'll get "hooked" on the Kool Aid. That was my reference.
And you sound like a stark raving fanboy. So what if people don't want to install iTunes on their computer? As zff promptly pointed out;

Quote:
Originally Posted by zff View Post
Quote:
(Remember, this is for FREE, folks. What the heck you want for free?)
Yes, a FREE program meant to interface a piece of hardware that someone's already paid for. Huzzah!

I don't think Apple stock is going to go down because of the opinions of a couple of people on HT. Have no fear, MM
Old July 14th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Kumu

iTunes has some neat features as well as the negatives. I put all my songs on the PC but the Mac can access the PC's iTunes library wirelessly; sharing. I also have an Airport Express with iTunes so the music can stream to our remote speakers that are hooked up to the Airport Express.

I've seen a DJ using iTunes to choose his appropriate playlist for the event he was at. It makes more sense then lugging CDs around and having to change them out.
Old July 14th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Luna

Heh, "fanboy"? Stark raving, huh? I'm not the one afraid of the little freebie software. The software only does what you tell it to do, allow it to do.

I never said anyone had to use it, but I did wonder why such reversion to a useful tool. The only reasoning I see in play is that it's from Apple, and once upon a time, someone installed it on their PeeCee and clicked all the buttons without reading what they were signifying.

Here we go again. Stupid Mac/PC silly wars.

Believe it, people who use Apple are very secure in their choice of a working tool. The biggest argument that anyone has come up with against my choice of computing platform is that the PC has more, better games on it. I don't dispute that.

But, I don't use my computer to play games. I use it to work and make a living. For that, my computer serves me very, very well.

Does that sound like "stark, raving" to you?