The Great Pacific Garbage Patch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great Pacific Garbage Patch

I didn't know whether to start this in Around the Rim or in here, so I chose the scientific focus. I just read about the "Great Pacific Garbage Patch".

I wonder if there is any way to collect the plastic. It has been localized, somewhat; at least they can locate it enough to collect samples and study it. After their research about the impact is completed, and since they are stating the plastic particles are floating near the surface, I wonder if there is any way someone could scoop it out and maybe even recycle it? (maybe environmental groups, commercial plastics companies, etc, etc.)

Just a little brainstorming moment. Now back to our usual programming.

Re: The Great Pacific Garbage Patch

The story was in today's Advertiser too, at this link.
    This has been common knowledge in the maritime industry for a few years. And I don't know how they can "scoop it out" since the area of water that it covers is estimated to be twice the size of the state of Texas!!!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      The story was in today's Advertiser too, at this link.
      This has been common knowledge in the maritime industry for a few years. And I don't know how they can "scoop it out" since the area of water that it covers is estimated to be twice the size of the state of Texas!!!
      Plus, according to the original link:
      Large items readily visible from the deck of a boat are few and far between. Most of the debris consists of small plastic particles suspended at or just below the water surface, making it impossible to detect by aircraft or satellite images.
      Since most of debris consists of small plastic particles, seems it would also be a challenge to filter out the debris without harming plankton and other small marine organisms that are actual components in the ocean's food chain.
      To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

I seem to remember a scientist holding up a jar of the floating plastic particles not so long ago; with our current technologies, I would think there would be the ability to filter out the plastic without sterilizing the ocean water of marine life.

As to the size of the problem, I think this is smaller than health care reform and could be easier to fix than global warming.

Maybe a small step or two in the right direction.

Like DS said when we were walking on the beach, "Mama, why are you wasting your time with all that tiny plastic stuff?" "Some people say that every little bit helps, son." Blessings to the ships that are headed that way; I hope they can come up with some type of removal solution.

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
          I wonder if there is any way to collect the plastic. It has been localized, somewhat; at least they can locate it enough to collect samples and study it. After their research about the impact is completed, and since they are stating the plastic particles are floating near the surface, I wonder if there is any way someone could scoop it out and maybe even recycle it?
          I think they want to determine if it's trash or the substrate of a new ocean ecosystem or hatchery. Might be a lot of useful information about how the environment breaks down something that's bulking up a lot of landfills. I can only imagine what kind of extremophiles would find polycarbonates yummy.

As for scooping... I suspect all those trawler fleets could figure out a way to harvest anything that's worth money.

And if there's nothing biologically interesting or valuable as a commodity, then I'm not sure anyone would pay to mess with it. It's not pretty to look at, but then neither are a lot of marinas, harbors, or streams that could also use cleaning up.
          Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
          Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
          We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
          Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Working...
          X