Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Hui Aloha > Islands Ahoy
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old March 7th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Keiki

Default Cockroaches?

Hello all. My wife and I were all set to go ahead and make the decision to make the big move and live in Hawaii. Then I heard a story about the big, bad cockroaches of the islands. I started to think about it, and I remember the last time I was there, I found a cockroach sitting on my beachtowel on Waikiki beach in broad daylight! I was pretty surprised, but I dismissed it because I figured it was rare. Now, I'm not so sure.

Does anyone know just how bad the cockroach situation is over there? Are we going to have to share our breakfast with 2,000 little roaches? I'd appreaciate any light you might shed on this matter!

Triggerfish
Old March 7th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Cockroaches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggerfish
Are we going to have to share our breakfast with 2,000 little roaches?
Nah - none of 'em are little. There's a reason they are called "B-52 cock-a-roaches" - they are big, and they fly. One of the prices of living in a tropical climate.
Old March 7th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
I remember the last time I was there, I found a cockroach sitting on my beachtowel on Waikiki beach in broad daylight!
That was probably one of them brown, ground roaches. Those are the ones you can play with. I bury them with 3 or 4 inches of sand and pound on them for abit. Dig them up to see if they're still alive. Now, the B-52's, THEY play with you. <LOL>

Depends what area you're moving to and then if there's an access manhole cover to a sewer either on the property or right in front the house. Also if the neighbors have a trash pile for a backyard. We get neighbahs who get big avocado trees in da backyard. Dey nevah clean up da mess so we get B-52's and their mechanics (mice) coming through da fence. Sheesh, I even saw one mongoose come through one day. Dey get all kine critters living in da yard. Yeah, it's getting to the point where I'll be calling the Dept. of Health and ASPCA to come check them out.

Also what I noticed. B-52's love moss rock walls. They live in the holes and cracks. Same with hollow tile if it's in bad shape. Also what kind of house will you be living in?

New homes, the roaches will probably be coming through the front door or gaps in ill fitting screens or the "pockets" for hidden sliding doors they use for some bathrooms.

Older single wall homes need at least half a case of silicone caulking to plug all the holes along the roof line and flooring. You'll also need 1/8" thick adhesive back foam insulation for the screens. They usually never seat flat and have gaps big enough for them roaches to get through. Louvers, fugetaboutthem. Even closed they have gaps. Seal the screens. These older homes also have a double wall between the main and 2nd bath where all the plumbing is. Watch for these types of walls. The open beam ceilings of these homes have 1/4" x 3/4" decorative grooves that are basically access holes for roaches to that double walled space. You'll need to plug any of these holes along the common walls. Look good. Sometimes, they build walls along these grooves and only cover them over. The hole can exit several feet from the double wall. They will find a way through it. Deny them access to the rest of the house for food and such and they'll eventually all die or leave.

How do I know? I live in a house that was built in the early 60's. Single wall, tongue and groove construction with open beam ceiling. The foot of our bed is at the 2nd bathroom. One night I'm reading a book and I see movement at the ceiling line. A roach. Darned thang went back through, then I noticed, a hall closet is on the other side. So I get a flashlight and check it out. DANG! An army!. Well, 2 or 3 of them. I done kilt them and found where they were coming from. Holes along the ceiling leading into that double wall. I plugged only the holes I could see from the bathrooms and didn't think about the hall closet. Cleaned the closet up good and caulked all the holes. Haven't had any invaders from that part of the house since. We still get the few, but they come in because someone's wife and daughter never seem to close the screen door securely after letting the dogs out.

Okay, getting back. Spray the perimeter of the house on a regular basis, depending on what type of insecticide you use. Most are good for up to 3 months. For spot kills, I keep a can of brake cleaner on hand, with the plastic tube. Concentrates the spray and you can shoot farther. Das wai good fo cane spidahs. Just watch the backstop. You don't want to shoot the wife with this stuff. If you get the roach good, it'll die in a few seconds. Your wife will survive and you will be wearing your butt up around your ears for a few days.

If you have fruit trees in the yard, make sure to police up the fallen fruit as often as possible.

If you have open drains in the bathrooms, either get new drain plugs or get those screens that fit in the holes. They do occasionally come up through the sewer and can swim.

If you don't want to use pesticides because of children or pets, go down to your nearest Longs Drugstore and buy several pairs of the largest rubbah slippahs you can find. Also, find the most colorful. Harder to see all da guts aftah you squash one. Keep one slippah in easy reach in each room of da house. Btw, these are useless on centipedes. Another critter you gotta watch out for.

If you go outside the house and happen to see a roach, don't let it go just because it's outside. Kill da buggah. Don't matter if it's high on a wall. Get a broom, anything, but kill...dat...buggah! I hates cacaroaches.
Old March 7th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Luna

yea kill em all! My friend got one of those electrified tennis rackets and I tagged a b-52 with it. They SIZZLE!

Jewlipino
Old March 7th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Haumana

trust me once you get there and get settled in to your new surroundings, you won't think twice about them, they're everywhere so your bound to see a couple in your house every now and then, and some dead ones when you go to sweep the floor. Centipedes on the other hand......Those things are scary.
Old March 7th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiz4kooks
[...]Centipedes on the other hand......Those things are scary.
Well...I've had my share of encounters with both centipedes and scorpions but not nearly as often as roaches. I find the former tend to live in wetter, more foliage prolific areas. I got stung (bitten?) by a centipede in Manoa and also had a scorpion find it's way into my car thru a window that wasn't all the way closed...just slightly cracked. Again...in Manoa. I didn't discover it 'til I got home in Makaha! That car had broken a/c so I drove from Manoa to Makaha with the passenger side window down. As I was pulling into the condo's parking garage I closed the window. When I pulled into my parking stall and reached over to the passenger seat to get my purse, that's when I saw the scorpion dangling by it's tail from the closed window. AAAAAACK!! Then there was the huge scorpion that wrapped itself around the (clothed) leg of a crew member during a Beamer Bros. shoot on Tantalus. Double AAAAAACK! Not to mention the swimming centipede in the toilet in the middle of the night...in Manoa! Thank goodness that wasn't the one that got me!
Old March 8th, 2006, 02:38 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Rolling Eye
That was probably one of them brown, ground roaches. Those are the ones you can play with. I bury them with 3 or 4 inches of sand and pound on them for abit. Dig them up to see if they're still alive. Now, the B-52's, THEY play with you. <LOL>

Woo hoo! Who was it who was asking where to have a bachelorette party?
Old March 7th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Luna

little roaches!? Wait till you see the 1-2 inch long flying B-52 roaches... that attack! I've walked into rooms and one of them will be on the wall twiddling its antennae and it'll launch toward your face!

Jewlipino
Old March 7th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Ali`i

Depends on which island you will be living. Oahu seems to have the bulk of the roaches in the state, Hilo side on the Big Island you worry about fire ants, seen three of them haul a dead roach once and Kauai is centipedes.

Just don't leave food lying around and you should be okay.
Old March 8th, 2006, 02:33 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewlipino
little roaches!? Wait till you see the 1-2 inch long flying B-52 roaches... that attack! I've walked into rooms and one of them will be on the wall twiddling its antennae and it'll launch toward your face!
Gawd, Jewey, wipe the loco moco off before you walk in!
Old March 7th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggerfish
[...]Does anyone know just how bad the cockroach situation is over there? Are we going to have to share our breakfast with 2,000 little roaches? I'd appreaciate any light you might shed on this matter!

Triggerfish
Well, if you find 2000 little roaches in one place, breakfast or no breakfast, there's something very, very wrong!

Roaches are a part of life in a tropical climate and are definitely not rare. They're gross. They're dirty. They're ugly. If you're truly phobic about them then you might want to reconsider living in Hawaii. If you're just disgusted by them know that you can keep them under control in your own surroundings. I probably see only 2 roaches a year in my condo whereas, in my office, I'd guess I see 2 a week; probably 'cuz of all the construction in the neighborhood. In both places I'm on the 2nd floor so those buggers have to do some climbing and/or flying in order to share my space!
Old March 9th, 2006, 12:38 AM
Luna

Send a message via Yahoo to kaneohegirl
Wink Re: Cockroaches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Lakio
WHOOOO!!!!!! A little more WARNING next time, yeah?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Rolling Eye
I know, we really didn't need fo see dem dam tings, Kaneohegirl. Eeuuuuwwwww (shaking all ovah)....giving me da heebeegeebeez. <LMAO>
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeiKaina
Those pics should have come with a big warning sign waaaaaay above them!

..... oooo da chicken skin.

now if I gave warning then I would be doing Triggerfish a great disservice... you know if he cannot handle pictures den for real dey better not move ;P
Old March 10th, 2006, 12:39 AM
Keiki

Default Last Cockroach Question

First of all, I'd like to thank you all for all the information regarding those "little" cockroaches. B-52s huh? Yikes!

Here's my last question folks: If you live in a high building, say something seven floors up or more are there still roaches?

Mahalo everyone, I appreciate all of your help!

Triggerfish
Old March 10th, 2006, 12:44 AM
Kumu

Default Re: Last Cockroach Question

no matter where you go they will come
Old March 10th, 2006, 01:06 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Last Cockroach Question

I live higher than the 7th floor and I do see roaches from time to time.
Old March 10th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Luna

Send a message via Yahoo to kaneohegirl

if there is anyway for them to get into the ground floor at all then you will have them in the entire building doesnt matter they dont discriminate my mom used to clean house for the Dillinghams even they had roaches...
Old March 10th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Kia`aina

Try read my kakaroach horror story:

Da Kamikaze Kakaroach
Old April 19th, 2006, 01:05 AM
Keiki

If you want practice, spend a summer in Florida. If the roaches and the rest of the bugs don't chase you back to Ohio, you'll do alright in Hawai'i. When we lived in Hawaii, some friends and I were playing around base housing and turned over a rock. That centipede must have been about a foot long. It saw us, we saw it and nobody knows which ran away faster, us or the centpede. Then was the scouting trip to Bellows AFB at the beach. One kid started screaming at the top of his lungs and eventually knocked over his tent. A scorpion had crawled into his sleeping bag. Fond memories. It wasn't my sleeping bag! At least Hawai'i doesn't have the brown recluse spider. I got bit by one in Florida. There the B-52s are called Palmetto bugs and I've even seen them in Arizona. Large flying cockroaches, they're everywhere you want to be!
Old April 19th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Ali`i

Speaking of which....

Does anyone here in HT.com know how to get rid of them other than preventing from them than not leaving any food or crumbs for them to get at?

How do you get rid of the ugly bastids off of your home forever & to prevent them from coming in &/or coming back in??

No matter how any one here tries to keep clean,
they still try to sneak in one way or another!!.

I wish I could just shoot them down or bomb them to where they came from!!. UGH!!.

Does any one here have an answer to get rid of them at all??

Please help.

Aloha.
Old April 29th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Keiki

Oh wow,

I'd like to thank everybody who responded. Just the fact that I got 3 pages of replies is, well, kinda scary. Those of you who didn't respond....were probably busy killing cockroaches !
I live in Japan, and we get the odd roach here and there. I find that keeping the drain in the sink plugged helps, but they still get in other ways.
The other problem I have is that I have a cat, and if we move to Hawaii, I don't want my cat to eat roaches! He probably will too. The good news is that he'd probably enjoy hunting them down and playing with them....then killing the bastards.
I'm guessing the most roaches live where the most people are? Honolulu/Waikiki?
I wonder if the problem is as bad out by Makaha or Kaneohe etc...?
Thanks again everyone!
Old April 29th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity
Speaking of which....

Does anyone here in HT.com know how to get rid of them other than preventing from them than not leaving any food or crumbs for them to get at?

How do you get rid of the ugly bastids off of your home forever & to prevent them from coming in &/or coming back in??

No matter how any one here tries to keep clean,
they still try to sneak in one way or another!!.

I wish I could just shoot them down or bomb them to where they came from!!. UGH!!.

Does any one here have an answer to get rid of them at all??

Please help.

Aloha.
Can't really get rid of them forever, but you can control them by treating the perimeter of you house. There's a number of insecticides on the market that will keep the bugs away for up to 3 months. The down side is they're harmful to pets and kids. However, there is a citrus type product that you can use and does work, but doesn't last as long as the other stuff. It's also a bit more costly. Just check out any garden departement and you'll find a white spray bottle. It's a clear liquid and doesn't smell citrusy at all. Just have to keep the pets and kids away till it dries.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 02:12 AM
Haumana

Waded thru all 3 pages & I gotta ask, "Anybody have any cockaroach info for Hilo-side?"

Thanks
Old April 23rd, 2007, 02:25 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedkikr View Post
Waded thru all 3 pages & I gotta ask, "Anybody have any cockaroach info for Hilo-side?"

Thanks
Cockroaches like living in Hilo, too! They just plain ol' like Hawaii. Think about it...free food, no rent, great climate, beautiful scenery. Smart buggahs, those roaches!
Old April 23rd, 2007, 02:31 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
While living at the UH Hilo dorm in the mid 70's I noticed a kind of small cockaroach moving on it's back. Turned out it was 3 ants hauling this dead roach.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 11:17 AM
Ali`i

Quote:

Thanks
I can tell you from my experiences. Get plenty. They like living in the cracks and crevices of the lava rock and popular rock walls. It's the B52 variety and they get big over there. They will find a way into your home. FIL used to chase them down, grab them with his bare hands and squoosh them. He said the guts wasn't the problem. It's the oily residue it leaves behind from it's carapace. If I think anymore on it, I'm going to hurl.
Where's Craig?