Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cokie Roberts thinks we're all furriners here

Originally posted by Nords View Post
    I wonder what the population of Myrtle Beach is and how many electoral votes it contributes.

I've been to Myrtle Beach, and it's certainly not Hawaii...
    Yep, you right, Nordie; I'm from Myrtle Beach. Much nicer here.

Visiting MB again might bring more votes from the Southeast. There are 8 electoral votes in the very strong Republican state of SC. Sen. Obama visited the MB area and debated Senator Clinton in January of this year.

See http://www.electoral-vote.com/.

Comment

There are some people who simply don't "get" America as a place of change. McClain is America as it used to be, Obama is the America we are becoming. How you vote depends on whether you look forward or backward.
      Burl Burlingame
      "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
      honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
        Obama is the America we are becoming.
        And what exactly are we becoming?
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

We are becoming a mixed bag of races, wherein no single race or group deserves any more special treatment than any other race or group. This fact is really angering the racists and the bigots who would promote social policy designed to separate us.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
            We are becoming a mixed bag of races, wherein no single race or group deserves any more special treatment than any other race or group. This fact is really angering the racists and the bigots who would promote social policy designed to separate us.
            So, you're implying that John McCain is racist and he prefers that status quo.

Not that this is a thread one should discuss in, but John and his people have as much to be equal as Barack Obama. To say that you won't vote for him because he gets the votes of every white supremacists is a racist statement in itself.
            Last edited by Random; August 14, 2008, 08:46 AM.
            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

No, TimKona got it right. Obama is hapa. Racism has less power when the national demographic is becoming more mixed.

McClain is no racist, AFAIK. Some of the people who will vote AGAINST Obama instead of FOR McClain are.
              Burl Burlingame
              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                I like what Lawrence Downes at the New York Times had to say about it.
                Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                on top of his fine article, there are 28 comments (so far) on that page, all of which agree with Mr. Downes. Very interesting -- and satisfying -- to see what those New Yorkers say.
                I’d like to share one of those priceless comments that I hope someone in the national media has finally picked up on:
                I am a local haole (white). I was born and raised in Hawaii and have lived here for 63 years. When I was in college in California during the 1960’s I couldn’t wait to get home…especially from mainland “values” re race, religion, and life in general. I don’t blame Barack Obama for wanting to come home to see his grandmother and sister, and to have his daughters learn what is so special about Hawaii, and how it gave him a broader view of the world.

Cokie Robert’s depiction of Hawaii as somewhat less American is an insult to those of us that live here and understand what multi-culturalism really is about. Obama certainly understands how to treat people in a multi-cultural society like the US, and he learned it, in part, from living in Hawaii.

— Posted by Glenn

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                  On THIS WEEK Sunday, pundit Cokie Roberts declared of Barack Obama:

"[G]oing off this week to a vacation in Hawaii ... does not make any sense whatsoever. I know his grandmother lives in Hawaii and I know Hawaii is a state, but it has the look of him going off to some sort of foreign, exotic place. He should be in Myrtle Beach, and, you know, if he's going to take a vacation at this time."
                  So, how is Cokie going to report this example paying respects to family:
                  http://http://www.honoluluadvertiser...ING01/80814037
                  At Blowhole, he "walked down to the visit the spot where his mother's ashes were scattered. Obama pulled apart a white lei and dropped petals into the surf".

His mother died here, and hopefully it is not too foreign and exotic of a place for him to be able to come and pay his respects .... gee, it would have been so much easier for the Cokie's of the world if his mom had been "buried" like "normal Americans" in "Myrtle Beach".
                  Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Cokie is just typical of the Mainland privileged who view people who live in places like Hawaii as yokels. The farther you get from the Beltway, the less "real" you are.

Hey, Cokie's the "media putz" of the week!

http://www.buzzflash.com/articles/honors/070
                    Last edited by buzz1941; August 14, 2008, 02:05 PM.
                    Burl Burlingame
                    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

This is the correct URL!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        Nice of the Advertiser to credit Star-Bulletin reporters, even round-about-ly.
                        Burl Burlingame
                        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

About 20 people stood on the beach and gawked as the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee played in his home surf, although some sunbathers and swimmers seemed oblivious to his visit.

Remember the thread about how folks in Hawaii don't really give a hoot about how famous you are. Famous folk can come here and be normal. No paparazzi. No autograph seekers. And a whole beach full of nice locals to make damn certain it stays that way.
                          FutureNewsNetwork.com
                          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Those same sunbathers and swimmers would probably be just as oblivious if a great white was nibbling on their toes!
                            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                              Thanks for the link. And on top of his fine article, there are 28 comments (so far) on that page, all of which agree with Mr. Downes.
                              I wrote that only 20 hours ago, and there are now 89 comments! I'll read them later, but I'll bet they're mostly good.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Hey, now that we have a faux monarchy group invading the Palace and heading for the throne room (if they can find it!), does this give added cred to Cokie when she calls the islands "foreign, exotic...?"

Comment

Working...
                                X