Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cokie Roberts thinks we're all furriners here

Noun, plural: furriers
    Persons who sell, make, repair, alter, clean, or otherwise deal in clothing made of fur.
    Seems a bit of a foolish occupation for folks in a tropical climate like Hawai`i; probably not that much business in fur clothing there ...

... Pardon? What's that? Oh.

Never mind.

Comment

OK, Cokie thinks we're aliens. Probably from outer space.

Another take
      Burl Burlingame
      "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
      honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Why is UH Journalism prof Gerald Kato bad-mouthing Neanderthals by comparing them to Cokie Roberts? That's what I want to know. What's he got against the first species we drove to extinction?
        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Considering how often I've read HT postings by residents of the Hawaiian Islands, claiming that they are not, or ought not be considered part of the United States - I believe Ms. Roberts is entitled to some wiggle room.

Remember, dear Island residents, that your state's travel promoters have been pushing the "exotic" and (nearly) "foreign" Hawai`i experience to the rest of the country, as well as the world, for decades. Don't be so haughty when someone actually buys into the image you've been selling.

And remember to get your shots and exchange your money before you come over to the Mainland.

Comment

Dittos Leo

I can't believe the flak she's getting for such a manini statement that was in fact true for most folks on the mainland.
            Hawaii is an exotic and foreign place for them. They have virtually no clue about Hawaii. I sure didn't, growing up in LA.
            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Personally, I think this is all making a mountain out of a molehill. What Cokie Roberts said is
              "I know his grandmother lives in Hawaii and I know Hawaii is a state, but it has the look of him going off to some sort of foreign, exotic place."
              Okay. "It has the look of." Not that it is foreign and exotic, just that it has the look of it.
              I haven't seen the clips, so I think the interpretations would depend on her inflection, or lack thereof, when she said "the look of."
              Maybe all the fuss is deserved, maybe not.
              Don't know. Don't really care. Oh, I would care if there was a flagrant attack, but I just don't see it here. Heck, calling us "exotic" may have benefits!
              Mountains. Molehills. [/yawn]

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Yes, I'll tell you, Akaka should have deftly dismissed the foreign element and thanked her for the exotic part and touted Hawaii instead of ranting against her. We would have had an immediate and belated tourist benefit from that kind of smart move to combat the current lull.
                DA, not always the brightest bulb in the marquee...
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                  Why is UH Journalism prof Gerald Kato bad-mouthing Neanderthals by comparing them to Cokie Roberts? That's what I want to know. What's he got against the first species we drove to extinction?

Geico Caveman: Hey. Did an exotic compared us to Cokie Roberts.

Geico Caveman #2: Damn Furriners.
                  Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

The Geico cavemen look kinda furry to me.

Hawaii is the most "foreign" place you can go to and still stay in the United States — but it's still part of the United States. The whole point of America is that we're all under one roof, even the "exotics."

Roberts' statement automatically grates on anyone who's experienced in-the-beltway snobbism. The cultural weight of the United States is tilted toward the East Coast, and the further west you go, the less they consider us. Consider the Smithsonian's refusal to open branch museums on the West Coast because it's too far from the cultural "center" of America.
                    Burl Burlingame
                    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                      The Geico cavemen look kinda furry to me.

Hawaii is the most "foreign" place you can go to and still stay in the United States — but it's still part of the United States. The whole point of America is that we're all under one roof, even the "exotics."

Roberts' statement automatically grates on anyone who's experienced in-the-beltway snobbism. The cultural weight of the United States is tilted toward the East Coast, and the further west you go, the less they consider us. Consider the Smithsonian's refusal to open branch museums on the West Coast because it's too far from the cultural "center" of America.
                      So, using Star Wars analogy, New York is Coruscant and Hawaii is Tattooine.

So, what's Cokie's email address and/or contact information?
                      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

For those inclined to let their keyboard voices be heard, you can email "This Week" via this web page.

ETA...It appears Kookie, I mean Cokie, I mean "This Week" was inundated with email and doesn't want any more. I got a delivery failure notification! Ha! And, yes, in spite of my untechiness, I know there are other reasons for such failures!
                        Last edited by tutusue; August 13, 2008, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                          So, using Star Wars analogy, New York is Coruscant and Hawaii is Tattooine.
                          Nope, Hawaii would be Naboo not Tattooine. Tattooine wasn't part of the republic. Naboo on the other hand was part of the republic and kind of far away.

Comment

I like what Lawrence Downes at the New York Times had to say about it. He is the brother of Stephen Downes, who works at The Honolulu Advertiser. The Downeses were raised in Kailua.
                            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

One of Adam Sandler's characters would say to Cokie Roberts by shouting, "YOU THINK YOU BETTER THAN ME!"

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                                I like what Lawrence Downes at the New York Times had to say about it. He is the brother of Stephen Downes, who works at The Honolulu Advertiser. The Downeses were raised in Kailua.
                                Thanks for the link. And on top of his fine article, there are 28 comments (so far) on that page, all of which agree with Mr. Downes. Very interesting -- and satisfying -- to see what those New Yorkers say.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X