X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Friends that move back to the mainland

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    What a lovely story of friendship.
    Yeah, that was a sweet story, Leashlaws. Thanks for sharing!
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

When I first moved here, I found it a little frustrating that it was so difficult to make friends. It seemed like people were friendly but not looking to make friends. Eventually I found people I bonded with, but it was more of a challenge than when I was living in various states on the Mainland.

What I've observed since then is that because of the large transient population here in comparison to the Mainland (whether it's people here thru military/contractors, people who just wanted to live paradise for just a little while, people who discovered paradise wasn't all they thought it would be, people who can't handle the high cost of living, etc), I've seen more of my friends come and go in Hawaii.

As a result, I've unfortunately started to take on some of that mentality I used to find so frustrating in others I met when I moved here--it's not fun to lose friends that are only here temporarily, so I'm more cautious about putting out those "let's hang out" vibes until I feel someone is planning to stay here a while so I don't have to go through as much disappointment of separation when people leave. I also tend to be polite but also try more to not get too close to people who I know are only here for a short time. I may be losing out on some great potential friendships/good times, but for me the trade-off of minimizing sadness when friends leave is worth that risk.

Comment

How many pple leave Hawaii for the mainland don`t they like hawaii or maybe there is`t enough work there.

Comment

Originally posted by Janette View Post
          How many pple leave Hawaii for the mainland don`t they like hawaii or maybe there is`t enough work there.
          Last count it was 658,457 since the 1960 census.
          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Janette View Post
            There are many reasons why people leave:

- A large segment of the population in Hawai'i is military personnel. They are stationed here for 2 or 3 years and then move on.

- Some people come here seeking "paradise". They become disillusioned when they find that living and working here is a much different experience than vacationing here.

- Some become homesick because they are so far away from their families and get "island fever" in this isolated place.

- The cost of living drives some away to lower cost areas where they can afford a house without working 2 or 3 jobs.

There are many other reasons, but these are some of the most common that I have heard.

Comment

Thanks for the information basically whereever u go its always going to be the cost of living it hard this we know. Even in the uk the cost of living is going up and some pple just cant manage and it stupid.

Comment

But- then you can make friends with us newcomers! I'll be moving out in mid-October and am a little nervous that I won't have any friends. See, all my friends now are people I've been friends with since high school or college (I'm 27 now). Moving out there, I'll know...my husband.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Welcome, Surlygirly! Be sure to watch HawaiiThreads for the announcement, later this year, of it's Christmas party! It's live and in living color...nuthin' cyber about it!

Comment

take a cue from turtlegirl, surlygirl. she's made a lot of new friends. some of them are part of our own ht ohana. good luck!
                    "chaos reigns within.
                    reflect, repent and reboot.
                    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Welcome Surly! HT truly is what it seems; a great bunch of people who talkstory and look out for each other. I'm lookin' forward to the get-together at Christmastime, too! Hope to meet you there!

Comment

Thanks, guys!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Working...
                        X