X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    Well if your dad was old enough to have had a child during WWII then you as an offspring technically are a Baby Boomer. From a cultural standpoint successive generations seem to become more defined thus the age span becomes tighter and tighter.
    What? I said my dad was born one year before the Boomer generation is said to begin. 1944. He'd have had to father me within the first 18 months of his life in order for me to have been born during the war. I was born in the sixties.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Well I may be wrong but I was under the impression that baby boomers were those children that were conceived or born when all them service men and women came back from the war effort in WWII. There was such a boom in children as a result of this homecoming the name stuck, Baby Boomers.

Okay a Wikipedia search finds this which tells me I'm a Generation Jones. So I'm a Joneser?

If I had to take a name, I'd rather be the MTV Generation because it was my generation that invented it along with VH1.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        Well I may be wrong but I was under the impression that baby boomers were those children that were conceived or born when all them service men and women came back from the war effort in WWII. There was such a boom in children as a result of this homecoming the name stuck, Baby Boomers.
        You're not wrong. That's what it is. So the war ended in 1945, and the boom happened in the years that followed. My dad was born in 1944, a year before the end of the war, and therefore is chronologically not a Boomer, but he is really in all other ways a Boomer. I'm trying to understand how you thought I meant he was old enough to have had a child during the war.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          You're not wrong. That's what it is. So the war ended in 1945, and the boom happened in the years that followed. My dad was born in 1944, a year before the end of the war, and therefore is chronologically not a Boomer, but he is really in all other ways a Boomer. I'm trying to understand how you thought I meant he was old enough to have had a child during the war.
          Sorry I didn't read it too well. I guess your dad is one of those cross-over boomers? Old enough to relate one year too old to be considered one. That sucks, kinda like being in your 30's. Too young to be respected by the senior crowd, and too old to be hip enough for the 20-something year old generation. In the 30's you're kinda like a nomad drifting from one generation to another, too old to make stupid mistakes, too young to make worldly advice cuz you're still going around the block.

So what would be the generation that prefaces the Baby Boomers?

Comment

Baby boomers = those born between 1946-1964.

BTW, Craig, good one on that young "whippersnapper." She deserved it! She has a LOT to learn!

Comment

Obama Wins Nebraska and Washington
              Senator Barack Obama won the caucuses in Nebraska and Washington on Saturday, defeating his rival, Hillary Rodham Clinton as the two scrambled for delegates in their fiercely contested battle for the Democratic nomination. Mr. Obama received nearly 70 percent support in Nebraska, compared with 31 percent for Mrs. Clinton. He also had 67 percent support in Washington state caucuses, compared with 32 percent for Mrs. Clinton with returns tallied from about one-half of the state’s precincts. There were 78 delegates at stake, the largest single prize of the night.

Comment

The Obama caravan rolls on. I believe it is due in no small part to how disgusted and fed up Americans are with the status quo and that includes the president, the congress and anyone else who is perceived as a Washington "insider". I wonder if the Obama fever sweeping through the land will cool off or if we're destined to end up with a president of limited experience and heart warming slogans. Perhaps that is the road we need to go down at this conjecture in history. What an interesting time!

Comment

Limited experience? Opposed to....Senator Clinton's?

I think people are waking up and are damn mad. I hope so! I think this caravan, more like a tide that's moving across thirsty land.....I think it proves that a lot of people prefer Honesty and sincerity above "experience."

I mean, c'monnn....an experienced con is still a con, etc.
                  Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

We recently discussed the "Yes We Can" music video tribute to Obama from will.i.am. Worth a watch, if you haven't seen it yet... especially because you need to be familiar with it to understand this hilarious send up, by "john.he.is" for John McCain.

Comment

I use CNN.com as my home page, and they always have some kind of poll going. Today, with almost half a million people voting in their poll:

Who do you like best for president?

John McCain 21% 99,167
                      Mike Huckabee 11% 50,223
                      Hillary Clinton 23% 107,346
                      Barack Obama 46% 214,553

Total Votes: 471,289

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                        Limited experience? Opposed to....Senator Clinton's?

I think people are waking up and are damn mad. I hope so! I think this caravan, more like a tide that's moving across thirsty land.....I think it proves that a lot of people prefer Honesty and sincerity above "experience."

I mean, c'monnn....an experienced con is still a con, etc.

I read somewhere online that Hillary has 35-years of experience? Really? In what? I think it was on MSN.com somewhere after losing big time yesterday.

Maybe she has 35-years of being Bill's wife, but then that doesn't make you presidential material.

Message to the DNC and Daniel Inouye. This is one frustrated Republican. But if Hillary is nominated for the General, I'm voting as a Republican. BUT if Obama is nominated, then the DNC stands a really good chance of getting a crapload of Republican crossover votes.

BTW Mr. Inouye...thank you for that beautiful letter you wrote to my late Auntie Asai Watanabe. It was read at her service this past Saturday. Very impressive.

Obama is real...Clinton has an agenda. Who would you trust having their finger over that launch button?

Comment

Penn Jillette predicts the outcome of the election based on audience reaction to a joke done during their show. It's the segment posted on 2/11 under the "Penn Says" link. Warning: it's harsh and has some adult language. I almost feel sorry for HRC. Almost.

Penn on the election.

Comment

Hey I went to pick up my 10-year old at Waiakea Elementary school and I heard more "Adult Language" coming from the mouths of fifth graders than that last Penn video.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
                              I almost feel sorry for HRC. Almost.
                              I felt sorry for HRC right after Iowa. Then she won New Hampshire. Now I don't feel sorry for anyone anymore.

And in other news, the guy who waited a long time to get a rent payment from the Hillary campaign is going to use the money to donate to the Obama campaign.

Comment

I don't feel sorry for Hillary. She reminds me of my former girlfriend the bitch that ate the candy and left an empty wrapper on the streets to be trampled, like my heart.

If Hillary becomes president, I'm sure she won't need Bill anymore. She would have attained everything she needed and used Bill to get there. It's so friggin obvious.

Comment

Working...
                                X