X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections

Originally posted by timkona View Post
    Will we ever escape the grip of Boomers?
    Sen. Obama, while technically falling within the period of the "baby boom," is not behaving as a Boomer candidate (certainly less so than Sen. Clinton), while Sen. McCain is from an even older generation.

Given your desire to move towards a younger generation's opportunity to take charge, it would seem that Sen. Obama would suit your wish more than Sens. McCain or Clinton. Would you be likely to support him if the general election ends up being Sens. Obama vs. McCain?

Comment

"Oh heck yeah, that's what this election is about on both sides, and some of us feel that way about all of them, the least of which is Obama. You nailed it about him not having baggage.

I have voted in every presidentia election for over 30yrs. as a GOP'er and this is the first time that I prefer the other party's candidate over our own. OBAMA over McCain....I feel he is more honest about what and who he is than McC. and that Obama sincerely believes what he says while I feel, yes, almost like a conspiracy nut I feel that McC. has sold his own soul to get this far.

Hoping Obama can stand up in all of the "backroom meetings" and remain in control of what he says and does, now, my only dilemma at this time as a GOP'er is...

Can I HAVE a President Obama and not VP, and can I have him without her ON the ticket?

As GeckoGeek notes, it turns the General Election into an "anyone but {x}" decision for plenty of people. Obviously people have very strong feelings about Clinton and McCain. I dare say that Clinton carries much more baggage than McCain.

Obama benefits, honestly, from being enough of an unknown factor that there isn't much there yet against which to build such a toxic, adverse reaction."
      Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Just a thought...

Can't we just have a Clinton/Obama ticket?!

Barak will have his time coming.

IMHO
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Ahem...Obama/Clinton ticket!

See how it'll never happen?
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Menehune Man, I dunno....but I hear from Democrats that feel MUCH more at peace with him as prez. Can't we just send Hillary home to bake cookies or sumpin?
            Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

don't you recall - Hillary doesn't DO cookies!
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                don't you recall - Hillary doesn't DO cookies!
                DAS RIGHT!!! Mrs. Fields does cookies, Hillary does the brownies.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  Ahem...Obama/Clinton ticket!

See how it'll never happen?
                  Well, there's plenty of time for the Dems to self-destruct. I suspect that Hillery won't take second place gracefully. But if it gets too ugly, that just may seal her fate.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                    McCain, Romney and Clinton, for all their ideological differences, are likely to run things in a manner we can readily predict.
                    It would be making it easier for Sen. Clinton or Obama to win ...
                    I simply cannot let my campaign be a part of aiding a surrender to terror.
                    -- Romney sharing his rationale for suspending his campaign.

Romney, in my mind at least, was the least predictable and trustworthy of the GOP hopefuls. The ridiculous fear-mongering he excreted in his exit speech only affirmed his aspiration to exceed GWB on the douche scale. Forgive my French.
                    "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      Sen. Obama, while technically falling within the period of the "baby boom," is not behaving as a Boomer candidate (certainly less so than Sen. Clinton), while Sen. McCain is from an even older generation.
                      There is an Obama rally here in Seattle this morning, and I just heard a radio interview with a woman who has taken her two sons (one of voting age, one who is 16), and is taking the older one to the WA caucuses tomorrow. She said that it was important to motivate her children to care about politics, because if they don't (in her words), "the Boomers will take over everything!"

The new motivation for younger voters: fear of Boomers. I kinda like that; TimKona would understand, I think.

Comment

Well Obama is on the cusp of being a boomer. He was alive when Kennedy was shot.

To me you're a boomer if you can remember where you were when JFK was assassinated.

Comment

Well Obama is on the cusp of being a boomer. He was alive when Kennedy was shot.
                          As I noted earlier, he fits the calendar definition of a Boomer, but doesn't politic like one.

Someone else quoted on the news story this morning said something along the lines of "Obama is NOT 'the Kennedy for the new generation,' he is the OBAMA of the new generation - Boomers are always trying to define everything within their own structures."

Rather perceptive, that.

Comment

Well we're always comparing our lives to the next generation. Speaking of which you can tell an old person from a young person.

Old people always talk about what they've done in their lives.

Young people always talk about what they're gonna do with their lives.

For example:

Location: McDonalds at 8am on any given weekday - Eh braddah duke rememba dakine place wea we went surf la dat? I no can rememba da name...wea waz?

Location: McDonalds at 3pm on any given weekday - Eh dat haupia pie was sick...eh try wait Chantelle text messaging me, she like go mall tonight.

One of my co-workers at Home Depot is this 19-year old who has absolutely no respect for old futs like me always has some wise ass remark to anything I say. So one day she's telling me, "Whateva" and does the wrist thing.

I tell her, "who cares, I have more money than you and part of what you make now will pay for my retirement, you work for me kid" My other co-workers high five me in front of a speechless kid.

Comment

To me you're a boomer if you can remember where you were when JFK was assassinated.
                              Geez. That's quite a differential. You're talking about an eighteen-year spread, and while I don't contest it, I definitely...need to think about it. Ever since Time's cover story on "twentysomethings," people my age have been called "Generation X," but yes, we are primarily the post-boom generation. My dad was actually born the year BEFORE the start of the boom, so while he just misses the cut from a calendar standpoint, he's right in there from a cultural standpoint.

When I think about people +/- eighteen years being in the same "generation" as me, I get uncomfortable; I don't think our values are anywhere near the same. I wonder what it looks like from far away. Maybe I do have a lot more in common with my own students than I realize.
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Well if your dad was old enough to have had a child during WWII then you as an offspring technically are a Baby Boomer. From a cultural standpoint successive generations seem to become more defined thus the age span becomes tighter and tighter.

It's funny that it was the Baby Boomers that invented MTV yet there is an entire generation that is called the MTV generation that seem to blast the very generation that came up with that acronym and on top of that seem to relate to the very musical artists or songs of our generation.

It's even more ironic that people like me can appreciate some of the modern stuff that's coming out ONLY because it's original stuff and not remakes of an older generation's songs and lyrics. I like Greenday. When one of my teenage boys found that out, they denounced Greenday as being too mainstream. Wow just because their dad likes it, it's no good anymore.

Obama may be too old for today's younger voting generation however he's the closest thing to the young voter they can relate to. Hillary Clinton represents the same old politics, represented by the same old politicians. Editorials say McCain and Huckabee represent the same direction as the Bush administration. Clinton represents the same old arguements. If she wins she has to ante up and come up with a winning solution or else she's just the same old politics that's been debated upon since JFK.

Obama is like a breath of fresh air, someone so different even the staunchest of Democrats are worried about his very existance.

What I did find intriguing was that Abercrombie is siding with Obama. Well at least Neil still has some rebelness in his blood.

I think the staunch Democratic backing of Clinton is to spite the Republicans. Bush won then his son won. So if Bill can win then to trump the Bush's, he can get his wife in. Yes I do believe that if it wasn't for Bill, Hillary wouldn't even be on the map and she'll always be remembered as the former president's wife. So she has to win to erase that monicker.

Plus if she's elected, will she turn the surge back? Hey the surge is working, good things are happening in Iraq. What will she do? She's been mighty quiet about the Iraq war lately.

Comment

Working...
                                X