"Lost" - The Final Season (6): Episode & Storyline Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Lost" - The Final Season (6): Episode & Storyline Discussion

So the question left pondering is did anyone find the wreckage of Oceanic 815?

Comment

I hope Target sells a lot of smoke alarms.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I loved those commercials!
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I was kind of expecting the Man in Black to take over Locke's body in the alternate 2004 timeline right after the operation and do some kind of rampage in the hospital.
          Last edited by helen; May 24, 2010, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Smokie couldn't leave the island and when Locke was having the operation, he wasn't the Man in Black.
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
              I hope Target sells a lot of smoke alarms.
              Betchya Motorola® sells more Droids.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Excellent article in today's Star-Bulletin at this link by our own PZ/Ryan. Very nicely written, PZ!!!

Anyone else wonder why Ben didn't go inside the church? I'm trying to remember what he said -- something like "I can't" or "I'm not ready yet." That means he's the only one who didn't die? Or the rest of them were in heaven and Ben is The Devil? Hmmmm...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Good article and pretty much sums up the show as it is.

In the end it came down to the characters, and they mostly all got closure in the end, going to the next life in hopefully a better place. The ride and adventure is over for all of them.

The mystery of the island remains and rightfully so.

Come on, the writers and producers certainly did not want to shut the door completely by explaining every little detail about the island. Certainly the island could be on the bottom of the ocean at the series end, or maybe somewhere else on Earth... waiting for the next group of people to stumble upon it perhaps in another time or another dimension... sound very Twilight Zoney...heh.

The mystery remains so that another story can be told sometime in the future, perhaps through a theatrical movie or even another TV series.

It's all marketing. In Hollywood you don't keep a good thing down forever. You pick it up again at a later date, continue with the story or premise, or as of late like other series, re-invent the whole thing all over again.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

A few days ago someone asked Jorge Garcia if he knew everything about the ending. He said he did, except there was one critical scene where just two of the characters were involved, and nobody else was allowed to watch the filming.
                    I'm guessing that it was the conversation between Jack and his father, in the church.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Anybody else not like the ending? I thought the producers all along said that they were not dead or in pergatory?

Comment

I didn't like the ending when I saw it. After Jack's eye closed, they rolled the closing credits along with shots of the wreckage. I interpreted this to mean everyone died in the plane crash, and the last 6 years have been a collective purgatory. I went to sleep a little confused and mostly disappointed with the show.

It was shortly after I woke up the next morning when it hit me. I remember seeing Desmond, Penny and Juliet in the church. If everyone died in the crash and everything on the island was fantasy, these three people shouldn't be real. Anyway, it was from thinking about that that I figured out the island was real and flash-sideways weren't. Then when I recalled Hurley telling Ben he was a great #2, I realized my new understanding of the show is the one the writers intended.

Once I had that epiphany, the end of the show sat much better with me. I still didn't care for it and still think it could have been MUCH better. That said, it's not so much the destination as it was the journey. Lost has been a great 6 years, and that last episode -- despite my issues with it -- was one of the best episodes ever.

I was really hoping for an ending on par with a show like "Six Feet Under". That show had probably the best finale of any show I've ever seen. Lost missed an oppourtunity to close with a finale as epic, but I'm satisfied with what we got.

So what now? A half-hour sitcom of Hurley and Ben running the Island like "The Office"? The one-hour Miles and Sawyer police drama?
                        Last edited by zff; May 28, 2010, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Well for sure Jack is dead, I don't know about everyone else.

However if someone had said to me that the overall storyline of Lost that we have seen is about the last few seconds of life of one Doctor Jack Shepard as he lies in the middle of a bamboo forest following the breakup of Oceanic flight 815 of which he was a passenger and his mind is going through on events that have happened, might have happen if he survived the crash or could have happen if he did something else a long time ago. Then I would say it is a more believeable story line than about a group of people that survived a mid air break up of a plane that ended up on a strange island (with no name) that contains polar bears, buildings in the ground built by well finaniced gun-toting, bulldozer hippies (okay the hippies brought over the polar bears), who were opposed by Latin capable speaking survivors of various shipwrecks throught out time with access to a somewhat working but forgotten hydrogen bomb lead by an unseen leader who is opposed by his long dead twin brother who is sometimes putzing through the nonamed island as a black cloud of smoke terrorizing and killing some of the new comers but can not do anything itself to get off the island which somehow has bizzare things that defy normal laws of physics like pockets of magnetic forces that can shake loose gold fillings in someones mouth (gold is not effected by magnets), water that stops flowing if you uncork a drain, unstable dynamite that does not explode if you are special but blows you into pieces if you are not special. You can die if you bump your head on a rock or about to give birth but you can survive a plane crash or not get the bends from escaping a sinking submarine and somehow be able to find a sewing kit out of no where to patch up that bullet entry wound of your friend but not bother to patch up the exit wound.

Comment

Helen - that is, without a doubt, the BEST retelling of "Lost" that I have seen! Well done! If you don't mind - I'm going to share it on my facebook page.
                            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Was the ending better for a tv series than surprise endings to series such as St. Elsewhere, Newhart, or The Sopranos?

Comment

I liked the ending of LOST.
                                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X