Hawaii traffic being a misconception

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii traffic being a misconception

I imagine that few first time visitors planning their visits are thinking about getting around on the island other than who they are going to rent a car from.

I think that was the case for me. My first few hours on Oahu were going directly from the airport to Pearl Harbor Memorial and then via the H3 over to Kialua. I didn't have any trouble with freeway traffic until I was back on route to airport to depart for Kaua'i. I recall I didn't have much trouble being allowed to change lanes for which I was thankful. But the phenomenon continues on to the island of Kaua'i where there is only one main road and the road from Kapaa to Lihue is notable for its bottlenecks. I didn't have much bad luck but I think scariest thing I did was drive one of the "bypass" routes derived from old cane haul roads which have some devilishly sharp corners! (Oh and those one lane bridges!)

Just noticed that Google Street-view has expanded coverage on islands which sometimes reveals amount of traffic to users. It is surprising where the Google vehicles went up narrow lanes and to the ends of many roads I did not take time to explore...people are living everywhere!

Re: Hawaii traffic being a misconception

I have to agree. When I knew that the move out to O'ahu was eminent, I did a LOT of research. Traffic was reported to be horrible, all day, every day. Well, gotta say, it wasn't. Sure, there was traffic, and getting my now ex to work was a commute, it really was NO where near as bad as people made it out to be.

When I miss the cut off here, in NOVA/DC, and can't get on 66, my typically 18min commute takes an hour, sometimes an hour and a half. I feel like that is worse than any "issues" I had on the island. Granted, the roads are smaller there, and there are certainly a LOT of people, but it was never nightmarish.

Worst traffic for me: Heading to the North Shore when it was firing off. That was a creeping crawl, but, it's 2 lanes, so that's to be expected, imo.
    flickr

An email from God:
    To: People of Earth
    Date: 9/04/2007
    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

Comment

Traffic? WHAT traffic? I just hop the subway!
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

This past March, we went straight to the rental place I had selected online at home before the trip, ended up upgrading because Sheldon thought it was a better deal, LOL, not....didn't care much for it but did a couple of personalizations to it so it didn't seem like a tourist vehicle and hit the road which was no trouble since I had lived there as a preteen and been back in 04.
        My son's were funny saying to me "Wow! Mom really know's where she is going on this island!"
        If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...l?id=201473771

Honolulu's traffic got the bronze.

Comment

http://khon2.com/2014/11/21/why-frid...se-than-usual/

Typical Friday traffic!

Comment

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2...traffic-delays

Thank you, DOT!

Comment

I think the issue of how bad it is on Oahu is relative to the distance traveled. In NOVA/DC it takes me 60-90 minutes but I am traveling 45-50 miles. It can take that long Ewa to K-Bay and it's only half the distance. And you usually can fly on H-3, so that just magnifies the H-1 stretch that can be brutal.

Comment

http://khon2.com/2016/02/16/bill-wan...ar-left-lanes/

Life in the slow lane.

Comment

http://khon2.com/2016/03/15/honolulu...raffic-in-u-s/

Made the top 10.

Comment

I live in the #2 location.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                        Sure hope this one passes; I'm fed up with "Left-lane Zombies" that move to the far left, stay there, and impede traffic.
                        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                        ~ ~
                        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

I hear the traffic report on the radio, and we're still having car accidents when most people are Stay at Home. I heard someone say that we wouldn't have traffic deaths if drivers don't drive over 10 miles an hour.

Comment

More "No turn on red" signs coming to Oahu | Business | kitv.com

What happened to Right of Way?

Comment

Working...
                            X