Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What are you currently reading?

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Not sure what will be next - there are about eight books on the "pick me next!" pile, ... - but a likely contender is the new-to-paperback "In The Garden Of Beasts" by Eric Larson.
    We haz a winnah.

Comment

From 12/26/09:
      Next up, "Alphabet Juice" by Roy Blount, Jr.
      Next up, the sequel, "Alphabetter Juice." Really.

I need something light after the captivating visit to 1933/34 Germany in the Larson book (which I highly recommend to anyone interested in the era of and around World War II).

Comment

As far as I know, William L. Shirer wrote few fictional works.

Couple of years ago ,at goodwiil, I found a paperback called "The Traitor".

Shirers perspective on a nation sliding into fascism is almost unique.

Comment

Re-reading "America in Search of Itself..The making of the President 1956-1980"
          by Theodore H. White.

Comment

The Picture of Dorian Gray
            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Done and finish Lost Moon by Jim Lovell and Jeffrey Kluger. It's a great story on the flight of Apollo 13, a lunar mission that nearly turned into a disaster back in April of 1970.

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Moon-Peri.../dp/0395670292
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                Done and finish Lost Moon by Jim Lovell and Jeffrey Kluger. It's a great story on the flight of Apollo 13, a lunar mission that nearly turned into a disaster back in April of 1970.
                A favorite of mine, and the Apollo 13 film (with Tom Hanks) was based upon that book. For a great history of the lunar program in general, might I recommend "A Man On The Moon" by Andrew Chaikin. http://www.amazon.com/Man-Moon-Voyag...reader_auth_dp

Comment

I am currently reading Number 9 Dream by David Mitchell, a highly regarded young British writer who lived for quite a while in Japan. Many of his stories take place in Japan, as well as other areas in Asia and the Pacific, including Hawai‘i. This novel focuses on a young man from rural Japan who comes to Tokyo for the first time. He is searching for the father he has never met. Of course, this is not a straight forward search. Not by a long shot.

I really like the way Mitchell structures his novels and his use of language. If you like fiction that challenges you, give him a try. His best novel (IMHO) is Cloud Atlas.

Comment

The Best of Philip Jose Farmer.
                    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

"The Audacity of Hope"
                      May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Not sure what will be next - there are about eight books on the "pick me next!" pile, the only potential re-read being the complete "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" series - stay tuned...
                        Next in the picks. Pzarquon will be pleased.

Comment

Just finished the two-part techno-thriller series by Daniel Suarez (Daemon and Freedom). Very interesting read considering how "plugged in" the entire world is.

Also would recommend to anyone that was of school age and a gamer in the 80's Ready Player One by Erine Cline. Definitely a fun read!

Comment

Originally posted by Opihimonster View Post
                            Just finished the two-part techno-thriller series by Daniel Suarez (Daemon and Freedom). Very interesting read considering how "plugged in" the entire world is.
                            I looked him up on Amazon. Sounds intriguing. I'll have to put him on my list. As for my readings:

I recently finished An Episode in the Life of a Landscape Painter, and currently am reading Varamo. Both by César Aira, translated from the Spanish by Chris Andrews. Aira is an Argentinean writer, well-respected internationally, but not very well known in the U.S. He’s prolific (over 80 books; about two per year), but has only recently begun to be translated into English.

Comment

Just started on The Spies of Warsaw by Alan Furst, who is known for his series of historical spy novels. This is one of them.

Comment

The Furst book is top grade.
                                Thankyou Hon for bringing this book to attention.

Comment

Working...
                                X