External hard drive problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External hard drive problem

My external hard drive icon doesn't show up in the list when I want to 'send', and it's played coy before and then eventually presented itself.
    What's going on, and how can I access it without hassles?
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: outboard offload problem

Could you please add more information to this thread like:

1) What piece of software you are referring to?
    2) What do you mean by send? Send to a person, send to a place on your computer (like a folder on your hard drive)?
    3) Is the computer in question a Windows based computer or a Macintosh based computer?
    4) What does outboard offload mean anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
      Could you please add more information to this thread like:

1) What piece of software you are referring to?
      2) What do you mean by send? Send to a person, send to a place on your computer (like a folder on your hard drive)?
      3) Is the computer in question a Windows based computer or a Macintosh based computer?
      4) What does outboard offload mean anyway?
      Am I refering to a piece of software?

I'm dumping music/pix from my laptop to my external.

Windows

Comment

So what kind of external hard drive do you have? Is it a USB drive? Does it have a light on the hard drive such that when it is plugged in to the computer it lights up?

Is the cable between the laptop and hard drive fully secured?

Comment

So what kind of external hard drive do you have?

Is it a USB drive?
          Does it have a light on the hard drive such that when it is plugged in to the computer it lights up?
          Is the cable between the laptop and hard drive fully secured?
          Seagate GoFlex 1TB

yes
          yes
          yes

Comment

And the drive is not showing up in the "Computer" icon?

If you have access to another computer does the drive show up there too?

Are there other USB devices that are plugged to the laptop at the same time you use the external hard drive?

Is there a USB hub between the laptop and the external hard drive when you use it?

When you plug in the external hard drive to the laptop does it take a while before the computer can recongize it?

How long have you had the external hard drive?

What version of Windows are you using on your laptop?

Comment

And the drive is not showing up in the "Computer" icon?

If you have access to another computer does the drive show up there too?

Are there other USB devices that are plugged to the laptop at the same time you use the external hard drive?

Is there a USB hub between the laptop and the external hard drive when you use it?

When you plug in the external hard drive to the laptop does it take a while before the computer can recongize it?

How long have you had the external hard drive?

What version of Windows are you using on your laptop?
              I just had success in my efforts, I guess it takes a while to recognize it and get going, but I'll continue answering the questions hoping it'll help in figuring out why it acts up'

The drive shows up there, but it didn't show up in the window of 'destinations'.

Didn't try that.

No

What's a hub?

Yes, it's done that a few times now, but didn't when I first tried it after buying.

1/2 year

Vista

Thanx, helen!
              jeez this stuff is frustrating when clueless.

Comment

Re: External hard drive problem

A USB hub allows one to expand the number of USB ports. Some desktop computers got anywhere from 4 to 8 USB ports so more than likey people wouldn't need to expand the number of ports.

Laptops on the other tend to have anywhere from 2 to 4 USB ports and this may not be enough for some people so they would use a USB hub to expand the number of ports.

On my laptop (which is actually used as a desktop computer) has 3 USB ports to it. One port is the external mouse (since I hate to use the touch pad), a second port is for the printer and the third port has a USB hub attached to it. That hub gives me 4 more USB ports. From that I have the following:

1 - iPod recharger
                2 - connection to controller development boards
                3 - to a multi-use memory card reader (recently purchased)
                4 - free port

Thing is some hubs tend to be powered or unpowered and it may factor into USB connection issues. You might hear about USB 1.1, USB 2.0 and now USB 3.0 devices, that might factor into this discussion.

Comment

Re: External hard drive problem

your external hard drive is a USB 3.0 but is backwards compatible with USB 2.0 but not with 1.1

If your Vista laptop had a 2.0 USB port, then most likely it had to search for compatible drivers to recognize your drive. If your laptop has only 1.1 then your laptop had to dig deeper and find more driver support, if any.

on a USB connection there are four connections. The two outer are for power (5vdc) and the two inner are for data. Sometimes the inner contacts become dirty. When that happens, you'll get indication that the drive has power. If one of the two data connections are bad, you can get an indication that Windows has found new hardware but because it can't communicate with it, it won't run it.

In your case it could very well be the USB cable or the connections on either end. Because you indicated it works on another computer, chances are it could be the USB port on your laptop.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                  X