Wal-Mart: Chapter 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wal-Mart: Chapter 3

This was the Associated Press report on the WM opening at Keeaumoku as published in the San Jose Mercury. The highlighting is my emphasis. Now I know where the bones are. But why did the spokeswoman for WM say the State had to approve the burial? I thought it was between the state and the Hawaiian groups?

Miulang

Customer Surge at Hawaii Wal-Mart Opening

Associated Press

HONOLULU - Wal-Mart Stores Inc. opened a store in Hawaii on Wednesday with hundreds of eager shoppers rushing past a handful of protesters who accuse the giant retailer of desecrating ancient gravesites.

Customers lined up hours ahead and then poured into the discount store after a traditional Hawaiian blessing and the untying of a lei at the main doors.

Native Hawaiian groups had tried to stop the opening until 44 remains of Hawaiians unearthed during construction could be reburied at the Wal-Mart site.

"Wal-Mart's pitch is that it's slashing prices for you. In this instance, it's slashing graves," said Moses Haia, a Native Hawaiian Legal Corp. lawyer who has filed a suit against the store.

Wal-Mart spokeswoman Cynthia Lin said the retailer is treating the Hawaiian remains with respect, placing them "in an air-conditioned, darkened trailer in a secure location on the site." State approval is needed to rebury them on the site, she said.

Wal-Mart's seventh - and largest - store on the islands employs 800 people, bringing the total to 4,400 in Hawaii. The site also has a Sam's Club members-only outlet scheduled to open next week.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
      I'm glad they have an L&L Drive Inn in the store and not something whitebread generic like McD or PizzaHut!
      Well there is a McDonalds just down the road from this Wal-Mart.

Comment

I went to the new Wal-Mart after work today. Look around for about 20 minutes or so and then got dinner from Golden Coin.

Inside had lot of people but I managed to move around with little problem. Didn't buy anything this time around.

Comment

I can't imagine anything very much different from the WalMarts anywhere, so I wouldn't be impressed by the hoopla at all.

The differences in news reporting from one daily rag to another is the reason why you cannot rely on one newspaper for your information gathering. In my Political Science class at the UH our professor said, "The government that controls the media, controls the people". In our case, our news media biases the facts that we must base our opinions on so it's best to get your information from more than one source.

To some Hawaiians it seems this particular WalMart is a good thing. To others, well we know about that. As for the blessing, I don't think that'll work because I've been to workplace blessings in Kakaako and the hauntings continued. That was at the Gas Company's Kakaako location. I got some ghost stories and have witnessed some of them first hand.

We've had several blessings over the 22 years I worked there and none have worked. We even had one worker die after chopping down a kukui nut tree on the corner without asking permission from the tree! Two kahuna's tried to rid him of the spirits that had made him sick enough to be admitted to Queen's Hospital, both of them ran out of his room in a panic, real spooky stuff. He eventually died with no apparent cause of death.

The stories go on and I've been there to witness them too.

I wonder what stories will come up with this new WalMart store.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Contrary to what some people think, I was not at the morning opening of WalMart today. I had to work just like most people.

Fact is I went to the new store at 8:30 tonight for the first time. Spent about 35 minutes looking around, bought 1 item that cost under $20, waited in the checkout line for several minutes (all the checkout lines were extremely busy) and walked out of there around 9:15.

Observations:

1. The store was packed, even at 8:30 pm. Thousands of people there it seemed. But it was not crowded so that you could not comfortably walk around and browse.

2. I did notice ILO brand big screen TVs for sale. Someone made a post about this store brand earlier. Store brand electronics remind me of those second tier gear that had brand names such as Emerson, Lloyds and Superscope (names from the 70s I believe). Still, they represent an alternative for consumers who want stuff at a lower price point.

3. The store looks like any other new WalMart that you see in your neighborhood. Lots of checkout stands, the usual and expected departments such as clothes, food, housewares, electronics, cameras, etc.

4. If you are a smoker there is only one checkout line where you can purchase cigarettes. That is checkout #11 which I mistakenly got stuck in to buy my item. Trouble is the clerk has to grab the cigarettes for the customers at the same time she is checking out your items. The place seemingly is one of 2 "6 items or less" check out line. Perhaps an adjustment needs to be made here. (BTW, I don't smoke... wastes money).

5. Senior citizens and nearby condo residents won't like the shopping carts at WalMart. They work fine in the store but if you push them out of a designated zone, the cart wheels will lock. Residents in the area are used to taking the shopping carts from Daiei home.

6. There seems to be a lot of parking, but I did not go to the parking lot. I live so close by, I can walk there which is what I did.

7. Traffic along Keeaumoku Street was not as bad as I thought it would be.

8. The new traffic light at Keeaumoku and Kanunu is a godsend since it has designated left turn arrows to go into WalMart or Kanunu St. from Keeaumoku.

9. There were no protestors when I arrived. I guess they were overwhelmed by the constant flow of people who ignored them and simply went to shop. More than likely they just went home.

10. I think if any of the major stores in the area that will suffer, it will more than likely be K-Mart (yes they are not in the area, but are somewhat similar to WalMart. The one in Iwilei is just totally icky, but that is a subject for another thread) and Daiei. That store while it may hold its own could be a victim of its own financial problems with the chain itself overall. Longs Ala Moana, I think will survive. I like Longs.

And that's my first day observations of WalMart. I am sure I'll shop there again, mainly for clothes, cheap DVDs and CDs and possibly digital photo printing. Groceries I more than likely will stick with Daiei since it is closer to where I am.
            Last edited by mel; October 13, 2004, 10:47 PM. Reason: added a few more words
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I've heard that traffic wasn't that bad, especially given the grand opening. I remember what a disaster K-Mart's arrival in Iwilei was, causing gridlock for blocks. This apparently wasn't the case on Keeaumoku. (KITV noted that jaywalking pedestrians were the most notable traffic problem.) And from what I saw on TV, it wasn't noticably more crowded inside than the Mililani Wal-Mart is on a busy day.

I agree that Longs, and Longs Ala Moana, will do fine. Longs overall, because of the local affection folks have for the store (despite some iffy pricing). Their Ala Moana location specifically because... well, they do great business on tourist traffic alone. Even if that spot lost the locals to Wal-Mart, they sell enough macadamia nuts and toiletries to keep the cash registers ringing. And never underestimate the laziness of the American shopper. Sure, you could save almost 50 percent buying the same toothpaste at Wal-Mart, but if you're at Ala Moana, that's such a long walk!

Daiei, I'm hopeful for as well. In addition to the strong Asian inventory, they have a decent grocery, and a nearby residential market to serve.

Sam Sung Electronics across the street, I'm not so sure about.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                I agree that Longs, and Longs Ala Moana, will do fine. Longs overall, because of the local affection folks have for the store (despite some iffy pricing). Their Ala Moana location specifically because... well, they do great business on tourist traffic alone. Even if that spot lost the locals to Wal-Mart, they sell enough macadamia nuts and toiletries to keep the cash registers ringing. And never underestimate the laziness of the American shopper. Sure, you could save almost 50 percent buying the same toothpaste at Wal-Mart, but if you're at Ala Moana, that's such a long walk!
                You know, the Longs in Hilo does fine... they have 2 locations despite the WalMart being close by to one of the locations. So yes, I think Longs Ala Moana will hold their own. If I am at Ala Moana I would shop Longs for the small items I need and not take another trip to WalMart.

However tourists will walk from Ala Moana to nearby businesses. I see a lot of them going to Tower Records. Last night there were some tourists at WalMart. I was in the shoe department there and two guys were obviously tourists.

Daiei, I'm hopeful for as well. In addition to the strong Asian inventory, they have a decent grocery, and a nearby residential market to serve.

Sam Sung Electronics across the street, I'm not so sure about.
                I'm at Daiei almost every other day it seems, mainly to buy grocery items. I've also bought a TV and DVD player from them over the last 2 years. The fact that Daiei puts up with all of their shopping carts being "stolen" to condos off the store premises remain a plus for many of their senior citizen customers who live in close by condos. Daiei has someone in a truck patrolling the neighborhood to retreive their carts. I know it is expensive for them, but Daiei will never prosecute their senior citizen customers because if they did, they'd lose business in a major way.

As for Daiei's survivability, I am sure WalMart will take away some of their customers but more so if anything, their financial problems overall could be their undoing in all markets.

As for Sam Sung, it has been several years that I last went there. However the last time I was there, the store had shrunk considerably to a point where I think they only sell high end electronics. They had to make adjustments as the big boxes such as Comp USA and Circuit City had already eroded their market. Plus they rent out most of their building to other businesses now.
                Last edited by mel; October 14, 2004, 09:26 AM. Reason: fix typo
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I agree that Longs, and Longs Ala Moana, will do fine. Longs overall, because of the local affection folks have for the store (despite some iffy pricing). Their Ala Moana location specifically because... well, they do great business on tourist traffic alone. Even if that spot lost the locals to Wal-Mart, they sell enough macadamia nuts and toiletries to keep the cash registers ringing.
                  I have heard that the Ala Moana Longs leads the entire Longs Drugs chain in sales. It must be all those Japanese tourists buying cosmetics.

Comment

This morning's Advertiser says the iwi kupuna uncovered at the WM Keeaumoku site probably can't be buried until the spring. Jeez. I hope the spirits of those ancestors are benevolent and leave shoppers alone. Like Craig said in a previous post, all kinds of "strange" things can happen if the ancestors are displeased.

Here: http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../ln/ln30p.html

Miulang
                    Last edited by Miulang; October 14, 2004, 08:33 AM.
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Daie actually has a lease program with their shopping carts for senior citizens in the area.

Now if WM had a Senior's day where you get special discounts for being a senior citizen that would be good for them as it is for Daie.

What I meant about Longs Ala Moana is the fact that they've lost the local crowd there. The aisles are tight and selection is mostly for the tourists. Over in Hilo LD does good because the customers are loyal there.

Sam Sung's gonna suck wind period hmmm maybe they should drop the Sung and just call themselves: Sam's Electronics and take advantage of their neighbor.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

http://pacific.bizjournals.com/pacif...1/daily47.html

An entirely separate battle against the store comes from residents of the immediate neighborhood, who think the store will clog their streets with traffic. They have a suit pending which asserts that the zoning for the site does not permit high volume sales to wholesalers, which they say Sam's Club will do.
                        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

Went in tonight to buy a DVD, pens and a box of envelopes. I can't believe there is only one express checkout stand.

Comment

They don't have self checkout counters ? the Hilo Wal-Mart has a bunch of them.
                            Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
                              They don't have self checkout counters ? the Hilo Wal-Mart has a bunch of them.
                              Maybe more will get installed once management figures out their overhead (especially in the salary and wage dept) is waaaay too high to support those low low prices everyone is looking for!

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
                                http://pacific.bizjournals.com/pacif...1/daily47.html

An entirely separate battle against the store comes from residents of the immediate neighborhood, who think the store will clog their streets with traffic. They have a suit pending which asserts that the zoning for the site does not permit high volume sales to wholesalers, which they say Sam's Club will do.
                                Actually, all that fluorescent lighting in the parking lot will probably help keep the crime rate way down (crooks don't like working under bright lights). All the bad people will just go move to some other darker area. That's how they got rid of the prostitutes up here...just kept "encouraging" them to move someplace else!

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                                X