• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mufi's new cabinet

Traditional time to shuffle the senior admin staff. Here's the first:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...localnewsfront

Re: Mufi's new cabinet

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
    Traditional time to shuffle the senior admin staff.
    “Traditional,” huh? The timing of this shuffle is oh-so-curious as it comes on the heels of this. In a high-pitched Smurf voice: ♪ connect the dots, la-la-la. ♫♪ Connect the dots, la-la-la.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

Isn't this the start of a new term for the mayor?

Comment

Very interesting development. One that could prove quite siginificant in the future.

Remember that the Mufster has made no promises that he wouldn't try to run for higher office in 2010, whether it be for governor or possibly Congress. Should Mufi leave Honolulu Hale, that would mean the managing director would be his successor.

Certainly puts this story in a whole 'nother light, doesn't it, kiddies?

Kirk Caldwell certainly has the moxie to be our fair city's next mayor. But I would be surprised if other applicants with political aspirations and impressive resumes don't also throw their hats into the ring.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
          Remember that the Mufster has made no promises that he wouldn't try to run for higher office in 2010, whether it be for governor or possibly Congress.
          I don't know about the last round, but traditionally I think it's been the neighbor islands that have elected the governor. Given Mufi's strong support for rail, I don't know as he's going to go over well with the anti-development types. I think he's got a better shot at getting elected to Congress.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
            traditionally I think it's been the neighbor islands that have elected the governor. Given Mufi's strong support for rail, I don't know as he's going to go over well with the anti-development types. I think he's got a better shot at getting elected to Congress.
            Not if Neil decides to stay put. I haven’t heard an official declaration from the Abercrombie camp, so I’m assuming unless Democratic Party insiders force his hand, he’ll be running for re-election.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
              Not if Neil decides to stay put.
              I should have said - if there's an opening. As someone else pointed out, Abercrombie is 70. A two-term stint as governor may not be a bad deal for him before retirement. Or maybe Akaka will step down. He's 84.

I sure hope the Hawaii Democratic Party has a plan for transition of power. Right now 3 of our 4 Congress people are 70 or older. Now is the time to get younger blood in there and build some seniority while the elders are still around to defend our interests. Otherwise Inouye's lasting legacy might be his failure to pass the torch and leaving us at the bottom of the political food chain.

Of course, getting elected governor all depends on who else is running. If no one else shows up, Mufi may not have a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                Or maybe Akaka will step down. He's 84.
                I’m assuming you mean “step down” as in retire, as his term isn’t up until 2012, unlike Abercrombie. I see that as very unlikely, as Akaka has an agenda to push, and likely is being pressured by activists as well as himself, to stay put until the bill with his name on it gets passed.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

I just got this mental image of the two of them as fellow Congressmen... Mufi is around 6'8" and thin, and Abercrombie is around 4'8" and chunky.
                  It's not relevant to this discussion, it's just a funny mental image.
                  Carry on.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                    Very interesting development. One that could prove quite siginificant in the future.

Remember that the Mufster has made no promises that he wouldn't try to run for higher office in 2010, whether it be for governor or possibly Congress. Should Mufi leave Honolulu Hale, that would mean the managing director would be his successor.

Certainly puts this story in a whole 'nother light, doesn't it, kiddies?

Kirk Caldwell certainly has the moxie to be our fair city's next mayor.
                    And Mufi made it official today: Kirk Caldwell is now the acting managing director for the City & County of Honolulu. Look at that photo by Honolulu Advertiser photographer Jeff Widener. I smell “gubernatorial running mate.”

USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

hi this is sansei and i just heard that their is a coalition to impeach mayor mufi and im still happy that mufi is still our mayor for his second term and they want him out that the coaltion who want's mufi out think's he may have misled the voter's on the rail so i disagree with them,they are just unkind to put mufi out of a job and that's the whole truth.

well thank's for your time

Comment

Originally posted by sansei View Post
                        hi this is sansei and i just heard that their is a coalition to impeach mayor mufi
                        Yes, and their website is http://impeachmufi.com .

Comment

Originally posted by sansei View Post
                          hi this is sansei and i just heard that their is a coalition to impeach mayor mufi
                          Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                          Yes, and their website is http://impeachmufi.com .
                          It’s really sad that even after the election, they’re still recruiting “Mufi-haters.” Obviously they don’t really believe Mufi has committed any impeachable offense, or they would have included the reasons on the website. It’s just a one-page character assassination with a link button to join their crusade. Pathetic.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                            It’s just a one-page character assassination with a link button to join their crusade. Pathetic.
                            Yep, sounds pathetic. I hadn't even looked at the site; just saw the link on the TV news at the same time I was reading Sansei's post, so I gave the link. I still haven't looked at the site, but if it's that lame it will just generate a backlash on its creators.

Comment

It's lame. I wasn't able to cross-reference the phone number, the site registration just points to the hosting service and the mailing address seems to be a mailbox/mail-forwarding company.

So someone wants to bash Mufi while staying anonymous.

Comment

Working...
                              X