This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 4

1) I photographed this huge rose in Amsterdam and doctored it up a little.

2) This is St. Chapelle in Paris. It's got kind of a gothic look to it anyway, so I adjusted it in that direction. One of the French Kings had this built to house what he believed was the crown of thorns worn by Christ. I believe it was later determined not to be authentic. Inside you're surrounded almost entirely by stained glass. It's standing room only. There was a woman whose job was to maintain an atmosphere of reverence, I guess, and every so often she would say "SHHHH" really loud. People would quiet right down. Gradually the voices would slowly begin to increase in volume and she would drop the hammer again.

3) This is one of the windows of the mask shop in Venice, Italy that made the masks used in Stanley Kubrick's last film, "Eyes Wide Shut". These are yet to be painted/decorated.

Comment

glass and body don;t mean anything
      As long as I'm not submitting my pics for print. Luckily for me, visual standards are lower online. But I shoot for fun, which I believe is your point, Tat

Originally posted by Jim75 View Post
      This a great abstract. It looks like some tree trunk and maybe a cage or a heavy wire fence in the background. The foreground looks maybe like some kind of nautical thing. What is it?
      Hmm, it does look like brass, doesn't it Jim?

The metal is gold-plated copper. It's a printed circuit board (PCB) made from a fiberglass material (FR4), the kind of stuff you find in electronic equipment. It's not the usual green, because it lacks a solder mask. You can scrape off the thin electrical traces (not shown) with your fingernail.

As with most of my shots, this one was pure luck.

I was holding the camera in one hand, which ended up tilted (hence the tree being at an angle). I was holding the board in the other hand, fighting a nasty gust of wind. I was also walking at the time. I took a wild shot.

Even though the picture isn't level, what you'll notice is the edge of board forms an angle with the the tree and metal grating (belonging to the radiator of a central A/C system). The imaginary line which bisects this angle is horizontal. That's my guess as to why this picture works.

Here's the real kicker: this picture is a 1/8th crop of the original JPEG. Most of the shot is meh, except for this little section which caught my eye. I cropped it until the board edge hit the upper right corner perfectly.

I admit I love cropping pictures more than taking them. I love the surprise of finding a picture within a picture. It feels like a treasure hunt.

(the downside of course is I lose a lot of resolution, making it unsuitable for print)
      "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
      "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
      "
      Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

1) I photographed this huge rose in Amsterdam and doctored it up a little.
        Heh, "a little". I think playing with an image in Photoshop is a great way to add another dimension of creativity. It's not very different from the tricks film photographers use in a dark room, I would imagine.

2) This is St. Chapelle in Paris. It's got kind of a gothic look to it anyway, so I adjusted it in that direction.
        The effect looks like a film negative

Thanks for the little stories behind your pics. I think one cool thing about your photography is all the traveling you do, to get the shots. Maybe you should get one of those new fancy schmancy GPS enabled cameras.
        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
        "

Comment

Here's some from today.

Everybody takes this surfboard shot in some form or other.

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
            here is some where I am at now, in Old town Fairfax

The old courthouse
            I love the sunset light on the brick building. The blue sky is rather vivid also. Nice contrasts and nice details in that wide angle shot.

3) Turtle - This guy was crossing the highway and I stopped and helped him on his way, but he had to agree to a photograph.
            Haha. I hope you got the turtle to sign a release form

I like the picture of the dwarf poinciana flower. The shape of the flower buds reminds me of microscopic plants. Nice translucent light on the two flower shots. I dig the satin sheen on the surf boards.

BTW, the only reason I know the name of the dwarf poinciana flower was because it was pictured in my mom's calendar. I visited my parents today, saw it, and thought, "Hey, Jim took a picture of that kind of flower!"
            "

Comment

Thanks MyopicJoe. One of my coworkers suggested I might like Waimea Valley so I went there today. How cool is that place! I'll post more tomorrow, but the net is dragging and I need to go to bed.

Comment

More Waimea Valley.

Comment

I like that tint of lavender. Any of you folk out there, trained in color, got a specific name for that one?

Nice abstract lines and shapes in the second pic, along with translucent sunlight.

Haha that last one looks like a gooey cinnamon roll. The angular lines of the insect's legs makes a nice contrast to the "doughiness" of the flower.

I need to get myself to Waimea Valley ASAP, Jim!
                  "

Comment

Does anybody else find this a bit odd? I saw this during my walk this morning:

Here's my take on this: "Now leasing at Discovery Bay: children! Get yours today! Errr...no thanks."

Or how about, "Snappers Bar/Grill is kid-friendly. Exclusive ledge play area for your kids while you drink. Complimentary beheadings included! (Bar not responsible for falls).

I am just joking about my captions, just for the record, but the pics are totally real and un-doctored.

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
                      "Now leasing at Discovery Bay: children! Get yours today! Errr...no thanks."
                      Haha. "I'm not happy with the 8-year old model. Can I exchange it for a toddler and a kindergartener?"

"Snappers Bar/Grill is kid-friendly. Exclusive ledge play area for your kids while you drink. Complimentary beheadings included! (Bar not responsible for falls).
                      xD

It is a rather goofy display. I guess they had some dolls on their hands and didn't know what to do with them?
                      "

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
                        Does anybody else find this a bit odd? I saw this during my walk this morning:

Here's my take on this: "Now leasing at Discovery Bay: children! Get yours today! Errr...no thanks."

Or how about, "Snappers Bar/Grill is kid-friendly. Exclusive ledge play area for your kids while you drink. Complimentary beheadings included! (Bar not responsible for falls).

I am just joking about my captions, just for the record, but the pics are totally real and un-doctored.

I was soooo bummed when Shanghai Bistro closed! I lived at Disco Bay for a while and when I left the island, Snappers had not even gotten the liquor license...and the owner was a bit gruff and, well, an ass, lol...I hope they do well though.
                        flickr

An email from God:
                        To: People of Earth
                        Date: 9/04/2007
                        Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                        God

Comment

These are not my pictures. They belong to Spanish photographer Chema Madoz. I love the creativity in his surreal pictures.

"

Comment

A few photos from the Big Island this weekend.

"Poof" is the name of my sister's cat.

Little baby gecko.

White flowers in Honokaa.

All photos taken with my Canon S5 iS EVF digital camera.

These photos and more are posted at my Flickr site.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Those are great. as always Mel!
                              flickr

An email from God:
                              To: People of Earth
                              Date: 9/04/2007
                              Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                              God

Comment

I love this thread. Thanks to all of you who post all these fantastic photos!!! You folks are amazingly talented.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X