Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Hawaii Media > Hawaii Print Media
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old April 29th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Luna

Default So now that the city worker is guilty....

...of letting private trucking companies pay half of their registration fees and thus, cheating the City and County of Honolulu and the taxpayers of Honolulu out of untold thousands of dollars in uncollected fees:

Will the newspapers/t.v. media go after the REAL story and see whether the city plans to prosecute the trucking companies that were "in" on this scam for the past 17 years?

Or, will this "hard" news story also fall by the wayside like so many others?

As the cliche goes: "Only time will tell...."

City worker pleads guilty
Brian Hamasaki cut vehicle registration fees for 17 years
By Nelson Daranciang
Quote:
Former city employee Brian Hamasaki updated vehicle registrations at discount rates and pocketed the money for 17 years, said Chris Van Marter, deputy city prosecutor.

Hamasaki, 51, pleaded guilty yesterday to first- and second-degree theft, two counts of bribery and tampering with a government record. He also pleaded guilty to drug charges in a separate case.

Last edited by admin; April 29th, 2008 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Do not cut and paste copyrighted articles. Excerpt and link only.
Old April 29th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: So now that the city worker is guilty....

Of course nobody will go after a story like this. As I've said before,

THERE ARE NO INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALISTS IN HAWAII.

In fact, there are better writers here at HT, than in most of the papers statewide.
Old April 29th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by timkona View Post
Of course nobody will go after a story like this. As I've said before,

In fact, there are better writers here at HT, than in most of the papers statewide.
aww, that's a bit extreme! It is a good angle for a story, and I wonder if anyone will pursue it. Ian Lind also comes up with some good ideas that our investigative journalists could pursue. Resources! Not enough reporters to cover all the stories. Not enough budget to hire more reporters. They do what they can! I think you'd find that a lot of the reporters are frustrated at the challenges of their workload. They'd like to pursue the what ifs and how abouts, but...
Old April 30th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Ali`i

Maybe at least there will be something printed about it at hawaiireporter.com? I was wondering about this also and yet glad that it was someone from one of the companies he illegally helped that finally turned him in.
Old April 30th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Luna

True Karen, and I've noticed that with the big scams they usually keep going until someone from the inside gets mad

This scam would have kept on going had the City worker not raised his fees.

And it begs the question, did anyone else at the City and County of Honolulu know about this? Any supervisors or co-workers perhaps?
Old April 30th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Luna

regarding my original post.... I rest my case.
Old May 1st, 2008, 01:16 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinboy View Post
Will the newspapers/t.v. media go after the REAL story and see whether the city plans to prosecute the trucking companies that were "in" on this scam for the past 17 years?
If no further action is taken, it does make you wonder if any of those companies happen to be on anyone's campaign donor list.
Old May 1st, 2008, 01:43 AM
Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
If no further action is taken, it does make you wonder if any of those companies happen to be on anyone's campaign donor list.
You have a point. I think this article also gives us a window into the underbelly of Hawaii politics and power.

Who are the true power players, the untouchables.

Anyone read "Land and Power?"
Old May 1st, 2008, 02:33 AM
Ali`i

For how many years did he get away with this? can't remember but the way everything's logged on computers and so easily accessed....hard to believe there was not some routine overview. I mean, c'monn, this was a city operation, and I've never heard of a govt. office that didn't have too many workers, and all of 'em always wondering if the "other guy's" really doing their job, etc.
Old May 1st, 2008, 09:12 AM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen View Post
For how many years did he get away with this? can't remember but the way everything's logged on computers and so easily accessed....hard to believe there was not some routine overview. I mean, c'monn, this was a city operation, and I've never heard of a govt. office that didn't have too many workers, and all of 'em always wondering if the "other guy's" really doing their job, etc.
ever hear of the ewa villages scandal? or the honolulu airport maintenance rip-off?

this kind of thing happens although eventually these people get noticed by some co-worker or manager like you said. the only problem is they may get away with their schemes for years in the meantime costing taxpayers millions.
Old May 1st, 2008, 08:59 PM
Luna

The real point I was getting at, is whether the City and County of Honolulu (Prosecutors Office) will actually go after the companies who now apparently owe the taxpayers untold amounts of money.
Old June 26th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TuNnL Send a message via Yahoo to TuNnL
Lightbulb Re: So now that the city worker is guilty....

Quote:
Originally Posted by timkona View Post
I would disagree that there are NO investigative journalists in Hawai‘i. Jim Dooley (Honolulu Advertiser), Keoki Kerr (KITV4) and Rob Perez (Honolulu Advertiser) come to mind. Then you have one-hit wonders like Malia Zimmerman (Hawai‘i Reporter) who some would say could be an investigative journalist, if not for her not-to-subtle bias and indy media credentials (or lack thereof) which significantly hamper such a title.

But certainly, there aren’t enough.

The real question is: why is this thread in the television section (particularly when the thread author cites an SB story)? Obviously, the best opportunity for investigative journalism is in the print media, where high-risk investigations don’t require a “hidden camera.”

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old June 26th, 2008, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuNnL View Post
The real question is: why is this thread in the television section (particularly when the thread author cites an SB story)?
And now the thread is in its new home!