Rise of the Tablets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rise of the Tablets

A new form of computing is being promoted.
    Low powered devices that tempt one to store ones personal
    information in a so called cloud.
    When Moses came down from the Mountain he had consulted
    an Acacia bush.

Re: Rise of the Tablets

As I age, I find my ability to keep up with technology is diminished.

Also my paranoia increases!
    People have hacked into my PERSONAL COMPUTER while I was online, I'm certain anything I put into a 'cloud' will soon be in the public domain.
    Thanks, no. I'll stick with my USB tree.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

I empathise.
      But us old farts have seen many years and can make comparisons that young
      people of only twenty years on this planet can't do.
      After a few months a bunch of this stuff appears at value village and goodwill.
      The first adopters take the brunt and then the scavangers move in.

Comment

I've seen a few of my co-workers adopt to the iPads. Great tools but in the end I eventually saw them leaving their iPads on their desks while they do their jobs only using it when they returned. Um they got this big old desktop with more convenient keyboards sitting there as well.

As an entertainment device it's great and I suppose more people who use iPads use them primarily for entertainment purposes. For me I can't afford to be carrying around a TV set when I'm out an about. I spend 10-14 hours a day on the sales floor. Entertaining myself with an iPad is not conducive to earning a paycheck nor does it look good to my clients.

When I do entertain myself it's usually at home where I have computers galore, a great home entertainment system and both of them networked together to provide me more entertainment satisfaction than an iPad could.

So entertainment on the road? That's when I spend that time with friends and family. An iPad simply isolates us to our own individual viewing corners. It's sad when I go into a McDonalds and see people sitting next to each other gazing at their glass pads instead of talking to each other.

Now for certain business applications it can be a wonderful device. When I worked at the Gas Company, one of my jobs was calibration work of LPG metering systems. I carried an HP 18C Scientific Calculator loaded with programs to help me with my calibrations, a clipboard with up to 5-6 pages of calibration sheets/forms for data collection, a three ring binder with engineering standards, charts and tables highlighted in yellow for fast measurment correlation, tabulation and correction. Taped to the clipboard was an Excel spreadsheet with serial numbers of dispensing systems that needed to be entered on each calibration sheet.

If I had an iPad, all of that could have been condensed to that one tablet with specialized apps to pull temperature, GPM and correction factors. Using a laptop never worked as they are big and clumsier than a clipboard for data aquisition.

For restaurants an iPad would be great for menus not only listing menu items but also a video presentation of each plus specials of the day. With a wifi connectivity, you'd simply place your order by selecting the item on the screen.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
          For restaurants an iPad would be great for menus not only listing menu items but also a video presentation of each plus specials of the day. With a wifi connectivity, you'd simply place your order by selecting the item on the screen.
          It's starting to happen already:
          http://www.nbclosangeles.com/the-sce...116339004.html

There are even companies that offer iPad menus as a service:
          http://us.menupad.com/

As for me, I've had the original iPad for a long time and have used it mostly around the house and for mobile entertainment. In the last 6 months or so I've started using it a lot more (along with iCloud syncing and dropbox) for work. Now that I'm on the newest iPad with 4G connectivity, I've reconfigured my desk to permanently house my bulky company laptop. I have full integration via the web from my iPad to my office! I display presentations, share brochures, play testimonial videos, and sign contracts on my iPad!
          Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
            So entertainment on the road? That's when I spend that time with friends and family. An iPad simply isolates us to our own individual viewing corners. It's sad when I go into a McDonalds and see people sitting next to each other gazing at their glass pads instead of talking to each other..
            Craig, whether a device brings family and friends together or isolates them,... it all depends on the usage.

My former workmate stopped by in town for a quick visit. Shared some new family pics and videos with her iPad. It's a lot more convenient than carrying around a packet of photos or video tapes. If you have your iPad and an internet connection, you can access and share anything you have stored in the cloud, anytime and anywhere.

Originally posted by dyasu View Post
            As for me, I've had the original iPad for a long time and have used it mostly around the house and for mobile entertainment. In the last 6 months or so I've started using it a lot more (along with iCloud syncing and dropbox) for work. Now that I'm on the newest iPad with 4G connectivity, I've reconfigured my desk to permanently house my bulky company laptop.
            You have an iPad with a 4G connection? Lucky you. I've been holding off on buying an iPad until Verizon offered an unlimited data plan. Until then, I guess I'm a gonna have to be content with watching my sporting events on my iPhone 4 whenever I am on the road. I would probably blow through a 10 GB allowance within just a few days.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              You have an iPad with a 4G connection? Lucky you. I've been holding off on buying an iPad until Verizon offered an unlimited data plan. Until then, I guess I'm a gonna have to be content with watching my sporting events on my iPhone 4 whenever I am on the road. I would probably blow through a 10 GB allowance within just a few days.
              I see where you're coming from. I limit my data usage on Verizon to just work related functions like email, remote desktop access, and calendar/contact syncing with all my other devices.
              Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

Originally posted by dyasu View Post
                I limit my data usage on Verizon to just work related functions like email, remote desktop access, and calendar/contact syncing with all my other devices.
                With a limited allowance data plan, that sounds like the sensible thing to do, what with all the talk about the new iPad being a data hog when it comes to streaming video on 4G.

But then again, for stuff like looking up my e-mail and calendar, the iPhone would be more than adequate for me. I personally would not want to pay for yet another data plan, just to use those functions on the iPad. If the wireless companies want to hit me up for yet another monthly charge, they sure as hell have to offer enough data at a reasonable price for me to enjoy videos, movies, and TV shows on a daily basis. Otherwise, I don't see the point.

Guess I should have been an early adopter and got myself grandfathered into AT&T's unlimited plan for the iPad when it was available. But at the time, I had no reason to believe that Verizon wouldn't eventually offer their own unlimited iPad plan. Obviously, I guessed wrong.

I'm viewing the situation like Craig is, at the moment. I don't have much use for a wifi tablet at home, since I have a very good A/V system. And on the road, I'm often in places which doesn't have free wifi.

Maybe eventually, I'll cave in and buy myself a wifi iPad 3. That retina display sure looks nice.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  Heh... and when the restaurant wants to adjust prices, they can do it very easily and cheaply without having to print new menus or worse tape the new prices over the old ones when they stick to paper menus.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Eventually some of the tablet owners will grow annoyed.

Comment

I got an iPad 2 last year. Certainly it functions MUCH faster than any of my MS computers, but it also has some limitations:

It's too big to be carried around all day. When my Palm Pilot died I went back to a printed pocket calendar. The phones that carry the PDA functions are all too confusing and complicated for me. I want my PDA back. The calendar, to-do lists and alarms, the phone book, and it fit in my front pocket. I can't find anyone that makes them any more.
                      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                      ~ ~
                      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                      X