The Green Hornet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Green Hornet

The Green Hornet opens on January 14, 2011.

Re: The Green Hornet

If it's only half as bad as today's SA review, it shouldn't.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Did Seth Rogan get in shape for the role?

Comment

Saw the 3-D version of this movie with Albert at the Ward Theater this afternoon.

While I am biased towards the superhero genre I got some mixed feelings about this movie.

Comment

I enjoyed it much more than I expected, mainly thanks to Jay Chou.

Comment

i wasn't disappointed in the least! seth was his usual funny self and that jay has real charisma. don't know if they were honest about it but they claim that jay merely memorized his lines without really understanding them. anyway, i thought there was a fun chemistry between the two of them and had no regrets when the movie was over....
            525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

The Green Hornet
              Seth Rogen, Jay Chou, Cameron Diaz, Christoph Walz

This has to be one of the worst-reviewed films of 2011, but I like comic-book movies and I mostly like Seth Rogen and pickings have been slim at the multiplex for the first part of the year, so what the heck. I know almost nothing about the source material or any older adaptations; what I know comes from the O.J. Simpson trial, believe it or not, and small snippets of info I picked up in listening to others talk about Bruce Lee. Any shortcomings this film has in being compared to any of its other incarnations are lost on me, just so you know where I’m coming from.

I guess you can just add that stuff up and come up with my review. Very low expectations plus ignorance of the source material plus a mild fondness for Seth Rogen plus a liking of comic book movies equals mild enjoyment.

Rogen plays Britt Reid, the spoiled, immature heir of a fortune built on a big-city newspaper. Jay Chou is Kato, Rogen’s auto mechanic and coffee-preparer. They decide together that they can fight crime with their apparently limitless resources, and they’ll do it while appearing to be outlaws. Using the newspaper he now owns as his own publicity machine, The Green Hornet and his sidekick take on the city’s leading drug-dealing operation, headed by Christoph Walz.

In between silly action sequences is a lot of dialogue between Rogen and Chou, something a lot of haters seemed to dislike. This was the best part of the film for me, the interaction between hero and sidekick, especially since the sidekick in this case is the more capable hero. There are some cool gadgets, some cool cars, and a surprising amount of waiting around, it seems, but it all flows pretty well for me. Cameron Diaz is Rogen’s secretary at the newspaper, and because she’s done college research on criminal behavior, Rogen gets his cues from her predictions about what the Green Hornet is going to do next. This is kind of a neat plot device, and Diaz does a good job staying in her little corner of the movie. Others have said she exists mainly to be pretty, but I think she exists to create tension between Kato and Reid in addition to giving the ignorant wannabe heroes their cues.

The action sequences are kind of lame, except for one really fun fight scene between Reid and Kato, something that I would have enjoyed much more if that weren’t the clip Rogen took to all the late-night talk shows and I therefore hadn’t seen it five times before it showed up in the film. Still, it’s the Kato-Reid dynamic that I enjoyed most, and while even that wasn’t especially good, it was pleasant enough and fun enough for me to enjoy the ride. I should probably repeat something I’ve said in reviewing other actions flicks, though: I’m a lot more interested in what happens between the action than I am in the action. I realize this is atypical, but am I the only one? I’d pay to see a sequel.

7/10 (IMDb rating)
              69/100 (Criticker rating)
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
              X