Charging for Trash Pick Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging for Trash Pick Up

So Honolulu is considering charging for picking up trash maybe up to $20 a month. I wonder if this will lead to a lot more dumping of trash by the roadsides or elsewhere. I saw an article that said that Maui already charges for trash pick up. Does anyone remember the transition between free trash pick up and paying for trash pick up on Maui? Were there problems or did everyone just get with the program because it was required?

Re: Charging for Trash Pick Up

That was my first take. There are already people dumping trash all over - in neighbors' yards, empty lots, roadsides, parks, forest areas, etc. Just cause it's easier than finding a legal place to dump.

If our 'Rocket Scientist' mayor imposes fees for trash pickup, then that will mean just so much more dumping of trash all over Oahu, and it will be more expensive to send out specially equipped teams to pick it up.

Check out http://www.honolulu.gov/Council/ccl.htm, page down and find the representative for your district, and tell them how you feel about this.

Councilman Djou is already on our side, but tell him thanks, at least.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
      So Honolulu is considering charging for picking up trash maybe up to $20 a month. I wonder if this will lead to a lot more dumping of trash by the roadsides or elsewhere. I saw an article that said that Maui already charges for trash pick up. Does anyone remember the transition between free trash pick up and paying for trash pick up on Maui? Were there problems or did everyone just get with the program because it was required?
      I guess the recycling & green waste programs aren't generating enough revenue.

Or the feeling is that the people who are dumping would do it whether or not they had to pay for collection.

Or maybe the state has finally started coming to grips with pension & healthcare obligations, and they can't afford not to "charge" for the service anymore. Does anyone know if the opala truckdrivers are state employees?
      Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
      Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
      We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
      Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
        I moved from Honolulu to Maui in the mid 80s, and yes, I was surprised when I found out that I had to pay for refuse pickup. I now pay $84.00 for six months (trash pickup twice a week). There are problems with illegal dumping, but I really don’t know if the problem is greater on Maui vs. Oahu.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
          Does anyone know if the opala truckdrivers are state employees?
          I believe they are city employees.

Comment

They are C&C, UPW.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
              I believe they are city employees.
              Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
              They are C&C, UPW.
              Thanks. I guess I should've figured that out from all the images of Mufi's smiling face plastered over the opala literature.
              Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
              Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
              We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
              Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

If they charge...

...there will certainly be a significant increase in illegal dumping, and it should all be done at Mufi's doorstep.
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                  I guess the recycling & green waste programs aren't generating enough revenue.

Or the feeling is that the people who are dumping would do it whether or not they had to pay for collection.
                  There is an illegal dumping problem now. But most of it consists of things that the regular refuse or bulky item pickup will not accept, like large car parts, batteries, hazardous chemicals, and construction material.

If the city starts charging for refuse pickup, people who don't want to pay will start dumping their household garbage on a regular basis. I live in a cluster of homes where the automated trash collection bins are not used, due to the narrow condition of the roads. My fear is that people living outside my neighborhood will start tossing their garbage bags into our collection area. Not only will that area accumulate more garbage, but those outsiders probably won't care about when they do their dumping. Instead of placing it the night before or the morning of the pickup like we do, the freeloaders may dump their opala where it will stand outside for 2-3 days. They won't care if the folks living nearby have to tolerate the flies and bad smell.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

We are charged for trash pickup already. It's called taxes.
                    So should they increase our taxes to pay for a bloated government under the guise of a trash pick up fee? Nope, they need to trim some fat off the obese bureaucracy.
                    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

http://khon2.com/2014/07/22/city-to-...ofits-in-2015/

Do you still have to seperate your trash?

Comment

Originally posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post
                        We are charged for trash pickup already. It's called taxes.
                        Not a tax, but a user fee.

Comment

I don't mind being charged a fee for trash pick-up, but Honolulu is cancelling trash pick-up for me (and other condominium owners) - and not even lowering my property taxes to compensate for the denial of city services. What's up with THAT!
                          Last edited by salmoned; July 28, 2014, 01:31 PM.
                          May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Working...
                          X