Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Name That Food

Originally posted by LocoBoy

All great answers everyone, but I'm looking for a specific kind. Back wen we were keikis, used to get um from da "Manapua Man's" wagon/van. Think in terms of our ocean tides . G/L
    You talking about da half-moons? Ho, I like grine dem buggahs along with pepeiaos.

Comment

We have a winna!! Right On lurkah

Comment

This starch dish is commonly found at local Okazuya shops. It's Chinese in origin and the keywords are it's: "FUN" to "EAT".

Almost a giveaway.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Would that be Chow Fun??
          Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

Moto, that's it... and the king of Okazuya Chow Fun is St. Louis Deli, next to St. Louis Drive Inn on Waialae. The perfect, simple, no-frills Chow Fun.

Miulang, we're still waiting on whatever the name is of that Chinese Pigs Blood dish you had in question. I even asked an elderly aunt who's mother is FROM CHINA and she never heard of it.
            Last edited by Pomai; May 20, 2006, 02:17 PM.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
              Yeah, I have (and gotten all the powdered sugar all over my clothes, too). The dry dough mix they use is from Cafe du Monde, which is where the original beignets are fried up in the millions in NO, served with hot chicory coffee.

Miulang
              Hey, I've seen that brand Cafe du Monde Beignets at Poke Stop in Waipahu. Never tried them though, so what does it taste like....

Comment

Originally posted by wowlaulau
                Hey, I've seen that brand Cafe du Monde Beignets at Poke Stop in Waipahu. Never tried them though, so what does it taste like....
                They taste exactly like malasadas, except for beignets you traditionally dust them with lots of powdered sugar instead of the granulated sugar (and sometimes with a dash of cinnamon to go with the granulated sugar).

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                  Miulang, we're still waiting on whatever the name is of that Chinese Pigs Blood dish you had in question. I even asked an elderly aunt who's mother is FROM CHINA and she never heard of it.
                  Sorry, Moto, I was kinda incommunicado on Maui for a couple of weeks. Mr. Lau (the guy who used to run the neighborhood grocery where we bought it) called it "loko" as opposed to "loco moco" which it clearly wasn't. I think it was probably a derivative of dinaguan (the Filipino blood stew) without the vinegar and the chilipeppers.

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Sorry, Moto, I was kinda incommunicado on Maui for a couple of weeks. Mr. Lau (the guy who used to run the neighborhood grocery where we bought it) called it "loko" as opposed to "loco moco" which it clearly wasn't. I think it was probably a derivative of dinaguan (the Filipino blood stew) without the vinegar and the chilipeppers.

Miulang

Pomai asked for the answer, however, thanks for the answer. I was wondering too.
                    Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

Okay. Here's one that should answered in a relatively short period of time; these snacks are seen for sale everywhere in Oahu, especially at Long's in the crackseed aisle.

The snack: They are sold by a local Honolulu entity in predominately red cellophane hanging pegboard bags, and look similar to miniature Italian cannolis. They are a senbei based snack that are rather delicate. What is their brand name?

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
                        Okay. Here's one that should answered in a relatively short period of time; these snacks are seen for sale everywhere in Oahu, especially at Long's in the crackseed aisle.

The snack: They are sold by a local Honolulu entity in predominately red cellophane hanging pegboard bags, and look similar to miniature Italian cannolis. They are a senbei based snack that are rather delicate. What is their brand name?
                        Hawaii Candy "wafers"?

Miulang
                        Last edited by Miulang; June 3, 2006, 09:02 AM.

Comment

I'm with Miulang's answer on SurfingFarmBoy's question.

Next..

This ethnic delicacy is horrible to look at when cracked open, with ugly black veins and and an innocent eye that seems to stare at you. It was featured on the hit show, FEAR FACTOR.

Give it a dash of salt and eat it quick with a brave spirit, and it can taste as good as a hearty comfort soup.

Name that food.
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai

Name that food.
                            Is it balut?

Comment

Hawaii Candy "wafers"?

Miulang
                              E kala mai....I forgot I had a question posted on this thread. Your answer (along with Pomai's) is really close..the answer is "Waf-O-Rolls", made by the same company you mentioned, Hawaii Candy...the distributors of those pink and yellow coconut balls. Waf-O-Rolls and the little disk wafers (they look like little pancakes) are essentially identical in composition; I believe the little wafers though have black seseme baked into them, whereas the Waf-O-Rolls (I think) are pure, no seseme added senbei, rolled into a small cannoli-shaped snack.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                                I'm with Miulang's answer on SurfingFarmBoy's question.

Next..

This ethnic delicacy is horrible to look at when cracked open, with ugly black veins and and an innocent eye that seems to stare at you. It was featured on the hit show, FEAR FACTOR.

Give it a dash of salt and eat it quick with a brave spirit, and it can taste as good as a hearty comfort soup.

Name that food.
                                So is it balut?

Comment

Working...
                                X