French Dip Sandwich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French Dip Sandwich

Can anyone tell me where I can find a really good French Dip Sandwich in the Honolulu area? I tried doing a search with no success.

Re: French Dip Sandwich

I've heard that the French dip at Giovanni Pastrami in Waikiki is really good, but I haven't had it.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Wow. Great question. I love french dip sandwiches, but now that I think about it, it's been a while since I've had one. At least, a memorable one.

Nick's in Mapunapuna was one spot, but it's gone now. (Nick's was also my favorite place for another menu item that deserves its own thread -- french onion soup!) Palomino in Harbor Court, also gone. Long-gone local landmarks Columbia Inn, Flamingo on Kapiolani... I'm pretty sure they served it, too.

Today? Off the top of my head, I know you can find a french dip on the menu at Ryan's at Ward Center and Kincaid's at Ward Warehouse, and they're pretty good. The last french dip I ate was at New Eagle Cafe on Nimitz... but there, my favorite sandwich is the oyster sandwich.

Google finds a Yelp review claiming the french dip at Henry Loui's on Paa St. is the best. I'll have to check that out.

Comment

Okay, I have to backtrack a little. When Ryan said Henry Loui's, I realized I messed up: it's Henry Loui's that I have heard has a great French dip, not Giovanni's. Anyone who listens regularly to the Sports Animals on ESPN 1420 AM will know why I made this mistake.

The Hungry Lion (believe it or not!) had a decent French dip at a decent price, too. So many of these long-gone places.

After years of just driving past Henry Loui, I've found myself having a drink there with increasing frequency lately. My friends seem to like it.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

The best French Dip Sand I ever had was at the Rusty Harpoon in Lahaina. Not sure if there still there but it was so good. Tender, juicy, full of flavor and the au ju(sp?) was not to salty. This was back in the 80's. I just want to find a "go to" place in Honolulu. I really appreciate everyones suggestions.

Comment

Working...
          X