Car window tinting advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car window tinting advice

I am planning on getting my car windows tinted.

The primary reason is to protect against UV since I recently had to remove some skin cancer.

Other aspects I am interested in are
    -reduce heat
    -anti theft

Some films protect the glass from shattering which acts as a anti theft deterrent. When someone attempts to break the glass it will shatter but remain together due to the film. These films are expensive so perhaps not worth it.

They seem to have several types of films.
    Any advice would be appreciated. Recommendations on where to get it done would be helpful also.
    The films I have seen are
    -classic around $250
    -metal around $325
    -ceramic around $400
    -security around$580

Also how dark should I go. Any tips. I know there are legal limits and I don't plan to exceed them.

Re: Car window tinting advice

Just to let you know, window tinting might be a theft deterrent in the sense that it makes it more difficult for a would-be crook to look into the interior of the vehicle and spot any "goodies." But once the crook has decided to get into your car by breaking a window, the tint itself won't really do anything to stop him. Tint or no-tint, regular auto glass will give way to a hard enough impact from Mr. Brick or Tire Iron.

Where tint will make a difference is after the break-in. The window will shatter in fewer pieces with tint. So the dubious consolation for the victimized owner is that the clean-up job will be easier.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I like how I accidently hit my window with my seat belt thing and it tore a little patch out of the window tinting Seriously though I had mine done in 1998
      at Honda when I bought it so it was "factory" and then when they said they weren't going to pass it for safety inspection because of the tint I said well then you need to figure that out since YOU DID IT!

My neighbor has a great tint and bullet-proof glass on his car........nothing is going to get in there! The bottom is also reinforced for bomb- proofing!
      I like being in his car!

Comment

do you have a regular passenger vehicle or a 'multi-purpose vehicle'?, as there IS a difference into what percentage can be used legally here in Hawaii...

35% transmitted light is maximum (0% being limo tint/darkest) -ALL AROUND. Front windshield max is 4" down from top or to the top of that marked official line that is indicated in many vehicles.

Is your radio antenna wiring encased in the glass? that plays an important part because if you choose metallic, you will experience RFI (radio frequency interference), so you would have to choose some other (in my vehicle, I went to ceramic tint).

If you have a 'MPV', legal here in Hawaii is 35% on both driver and front passenger window, and down to 0% (darkest) for windows to the rear and in back...

btw...T&T Tinting's website show that they have a 'new' 50 state legal tint (for UV and heat reduction) for the entire FRONT WINDSHIELD (yes, FRONT WINDSHIELD), though it is quite costly ($200-$300) that will pass the tint test during HI safety check inspections.

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
          Seriously though I had mine done in 1998
          at Honda when I bought it so it was "factory" and then when they said they weren't going to pass it for safety inspection because of the tint I said well then you need to figure that out since YOU DID IT!
          I had the same problem with my factory tinted windows on an older car, it barely passed the current safety inspection. My neighbor had tinting that had been put on a mainland car he bought, and he had to strip it off. It is definitely something the check out before installing tinting nowaday, and I'd not trust the installer's "word" about what is acceptible, I'd also find out the rules for myself before a purchase.
          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I tinted my Pickup with T&T in 1990. I love the 'titanium metallic' tint.

When I see the darker tints in SUVs and larger trucks on a two-lane hwy., I'm disturbed because my vision of oncoming traffic and traffic in front of them is obscured, and that impacts my safe driving.

I love a cool car with reflective tint, but I don't like the invisibility of the road ahead those tints impose.

(sigh)
            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
            ~ ~
            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

if you're looking for someone to do your tint, i highly suggest auto trim hawaii.

sean, the owner, called me personally within half an hour of my making an online inquiry about tint and clearbra for my MINI this year. the price was absolutely fabulous and for a great price, too. i decided upon him partially bcs of the product he offered (the only one who is a licensed vendor for the brand of clear bra i wanted) but what really sold me on going to him was sean's personal commitment to great customer service and sincere personality.

i went for a simple 35% smoke tint on my car and the difference is very noticeable in terms of how hot it would get w/tint versus when i didn't have tint. the look is nice--it doesn't scream, hey i'm tinted! but it adds nicely to my car's color scheme (cream white body w/black roof, sideviews and custom striping). it's been about five months since sean did the work (and he did it personally along with one staffer) and i'm still very happy with what he did.

some thing you'll want to consider: some shops have quite a large gap between where the tint ends and where the glass ends. the gap on mine is very small whereas i've heard a certain shop's gap is as much as 1/2 an inch.

if you're interested in more specific details, PM me. i did a lot of asking around with car enthusiasts before i picked my tint vendor and can share some insights as to commentary about some of the better known shops.
              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I had T&T do both of my cars. My older car is now 15 years old, with what was their then top-of-the-line Titanium tint. Not a single bubble has appeared.

There may be shops around that cut corners and do the job for less. I just want the guys who have proven they will do the job right the first time. If you think that paying top $$$$ for a quality, reliable tint job is too much, just wait to see how much more you will pay to remove shoddy tint from your window and then re-tint.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

When we had our Civic wagon (circa 1990) T&T did the windows and it lasted forever, they did a great job.

Comment

I've had my BMW tinted at Auto Trim as well. Good work. 20% is the darkest tint one can put on most vehicles. And that's 20% including factory tint.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                      the price was absolutely fabulous and for a great price, too.
                      meh! i meant "the end product was absolutely fabulous and for a great price, too"

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      I've had my BMW tinted at Auto Trim as well. Good work.
                      and i know how fastidious and knowledgeable you are about your vehicles, so that's high praise. if i were someone who was not me, i'd trust your view regarding any automotive-related vendor over mine, so it's nice to know we share the same opinion. *thumbs up*
                      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I had my Camry tinted at T&T about three years ago. It's still like brand new. Very good work.

Comment

35% is the darkest allowed per Hawaii Law for regular passenger vehicles...but if one has a multi-purpose vehicle(MPV), any windows back of the driver and front passenger is game...down to 0% !

Comment

Originally posted by hawaiiguy View Post
                            35% is the darkest allowed per Hawaii Law for regular passenger vehicles...but if one has a multi-purpose vehicle(MPV), any windows back of the driver and front passenger is game...down to 0% !
                            Wow it's 35%? I thought it was 20%. But I guess 35% is safer. My Astrovan goes down to virtually opaque because it's listed as a truck for some odd reason so the privacy glass option on it is extremely dark making it hard to maneuver in reverse at night. I hit a coconut tree at my then farm business one night while trying to exit the area.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by craigwatanabe; June 30, 2009, 03:05 AM.
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

i used ceramic tint when i had my subaru windows done... because the radio antenna is embedded into one of the rear windows.

i read that metallic tint would interfere with the radio reception.

unfortunately, ceramic is a bit more expensive and doesn't last as long - whatever that means

here's a pic

my niece has the car now.

joel
                              Last edited by JAvendan; June 30, 2009, 05:42 AM. Reason: added pic of subaru forester

Comment

Working...
                              X