Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 'new' Star Bulletin

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    I picked up an SB today and thumbed thru it. My first thoughts, understanding it's only the 2nd day...
    3. I like MidWeek for the fluff!
    Great vermiposting material too, not so much for composting.
    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

3. I like MidWeek for the fluff!
      Is there a fluffer at Midweek?

Comment

Just picked up my second copy of the new Star-Bulletin.

I think it looks fantastic! A marked improvement over the first day. As expected, there's a good amount of content. The designs are not only more fleshed out and strict, but much more confident in its ability to breathe in the tighter space.

I enjoyed writing for broadsheets, but honestly most of my experience has been with tabloids, from putting together a new entertainment tabloid for my college daily in California to designing the Guam Pacific Daily News, which has operated as a tabloid since its inception, and as far as I know is tops among the most profitable newspapers in the Gannett chain. It's also where Advertiser publisher Lee Webber worked for more than a third of his life.

Tabloid designs can be quite pretty AND bold, and I think the S-B is well equipped to meet that challenge, despite the diminished manpower.

Full disclosure for anyone not in the know, I worked there as a reporter since 2006 until March 1.
        ---
        Gene

"A man can surely do what he wills to do, but cannot determine what he wills." - Schopenhauer

Comment

Thank you, Gene. And yes, we miss you.

I just hope people realize this is an almost entirely new product.

We went from a broadsheet to a tabloid in one news cycle. Very difficult to do. Perhaps something to which the armchair quarterbacks can't relate. (I'm in opinion now, so I feel a strange need to stir up the hornets. Ha!)

But seriously...

Everything from styles to content was completely overhauled, and we're working hard to produce a good product.

Everyone in the newsroom is trying as hard as possible to make it all work, and we appreciate those who have taken the time to check us out.

We're still soliciting comments at: newstarbulletin@starbulletin.com

So please, let us know what you think. Positive or negative.

We really do appreciate your comments.

Comment

From my armchair...

...on The Bus, it looks like today's edition has the SB hitting it's stride, much better than yesterday's for sure. But the Friday events insert was missing. And I think it was last week as well. Is this a permanent displacement, or did I get shorted?
            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

The short answer...

Originally posted by 808golfer View Post
              Ok...So, name 3 or 4 REAL news items not in today's SB that Editor Ron would have made sure got reported??
              Go down the list at www.truthout.org and tell me how many of them you've not read in our dailies, or easier, how many you have.

Comment

weekend events section appeared in the thursday SB that I saw

Comment

(Mel, please move this if it's inappropriate for this thread.)

I heard this evening that a photo of the old Our Gang members appeared in the SB since it's new format...which means sometime this past week. I searched SB (on Our Gang and Little Rascals) to no avail. I have no idea how else to search for it. Does this ring a familiar bell with any of you? If so, I'd really appreciate a url. Big mahaloz...

Comment

I remember seeing the photo as well, but I just leafed through the Sunday paper and don't find it - wonder if it was in HiLife entertainment section (which I have already recycled)...or maybe in The Other Paper?

Comment

Thanks, Kimo. My friend reads the SB but, just in case, I did check the HA and didn't find it. It sounds like she saw it earlier last week. Hopefully one of the SB employees on HT will have the info.

Comment

I've finally spent some quality time with the new format. And I like it. After shaking out the Midweek aura, it definitely felt good in the hand. Especially over lunch (when I read it), or on the bus, or while [redacted]. As a reader, I still find it hard to get to where I want to go, but as an advertiser, I'd be thrilled with all the browsing (or frantic flipping) that situation encourages.

I mostly just lament the loss of some of the columnists and other content over the past few months. I'm sure it's more imaginary than anything, but I fear the loss of the "truly local" crown the Star-Bulletin held with gusto.

Comment

(Mel, please move this if it's inappropriate for this thread.)

I heard this evening that a photo of the old Our Gang members appeared in the SB since it's new format...which means sometime this past week. I searched SB (on Our Gang and Little Rascals) to no avail. I have no idea how else to search for it. Does this ring a familiar bell with any of you? If so, I'd really appreciate a url. Big mahaloz...
                          Possible that the story and photo were syndicated materials the SB didn't have the rights to put online.
                          Burl Burlingame
                          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

And...

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                            weekend events section appeared in the thursday SB that I saw
                            ...is the insert mag (USA Today (?) in Sunday's SB paper discontinued?

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                              Possible that the story and photo were syndicated materials the SB didn't have the rights to put online.
                              Thanks, Burl. I wouldn't have thought of that. I thought it a bit odd that the photo was in the SB to begin with. As far as I can tell, I'm the only one locally with a tie to Our Gang. But, sure, a syndicated story/photo makes sense. Shoots, sorry I missed it.

Comment

Not that I know of...while USA Weekend and Parade kind of blur in my mind, I'm pretty sure I skimmed through two such pubs this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X