Zippy's Chili has Mayo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Zippy's Chili has Mayo?

I think most of you are right in the sense that Zippy's is in no way, shape or form the best chili out there...but it's comfort food...especially for those of us lolo enough to live in the mainland...everytime we come home, it's straight to Zip's for chili rice...makes us feel like we're home again...now, my wife makes an awesome chili for the meat lovers out there...it has bacon, portuguese sausage, ground beef...and a spicy kick to boot!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Ogata View Post
      I'd always heard that Zippy's chili had mayo in it, too.

No mayo listed, but perhaps it falls under "spices".
      Maybe that's it. Perhaps for a gallon of chili they might use 2 to 4 tablespoons worth of mayo to it.

Comment

I think I just can't get over the fact that it has mayo. I really just don't like the thought of eating it. :\

I do want to eat it again, but when it comes down to it, I always end up ordering something else now. Oh well, like cyn said, it's my loss.

Someone brought up Krispy Kreme. Does anyone know WHY there hasn't been one opened up here on Oahu? What's the deal with that?
        ---
        Gene

"A man can surely do what he wills to do, but cannot determine what he wills." - Schopenhauer

Comment

Actually, if you order Zippy's Chili Moco (not sure if they still offer this dish), you can get mayo' in it, in the form of their macaroni salad "sauce"....

The mayonnaise-based mac' salad "sauce" is spread on the rice, underneath the hamburger patty (see inset photo on the bottom right). Sounds and looks nasty, but it's quite tasty! Fo' realz!
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Not enough starch. Where's the garlic bread?

Comment

wb: you get the garlic bread with the chili spaghetti plate and their new combo of spaghetti and fried chicken um, i think it even comes with the required mac sal.
              "chaos reigns within.
              reflect, repent and reboot.
              order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                Actually, if you order Zippy's Chili Moco (not sure if they still offer this dish), you can get mayo' in it, in the form of their macaroni salad "sauce"....
                The chili-moco was only a special limited time offering. It will probably end up being one of those "seasonal" menu items, like the miso chicken.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

gene, iirc, krispy kreme is going to open in kapolei sometime in the next year or so. i find it kinda funny that manila has krispy kreme when honolulu does not.

i guess I figure that mayo is used in the chili in the same way that butter is sometimes used to finish sauces. i'd object to mayo in chili if there was, say, a cup of mayo per two pounds of meat. *shrug*
                  superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Hawaii Threads received a shout-out in the Honolulu Advertiser today:

http://tinyurl.com/crtdyq
                    Last edited by lihingmui; February 18, 2009, 02:03 PM.

Comment

I just noticed the August post re: Chili Moco at Zippy's being a temporary thing - actually, it's still being offered. . . apparently a popular-enough item.

Meanwhile, chili gets more than a once-over in today's Advertiser:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...2/902180363/-1

Comment

How come they don't print the expiration date on the boxed Zippy's chili that you buy at the market? How long does it last in the freezer?

Comment

I had heard years ago that mayo was the "secret" ingredient to Zippy's chili. It definitely makes sense since Zippy's chili is a lot thicker/creamier in consistency than most other versions I've had, esp vs most Texas style chili I've had.
                          Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

Originally posted by dyasu View Post
                            I had heard years ago that mayo was the "secret" ingredient to Zippy's chili. It definitely makes sense since Zippy's chili is a lot thicker/creamier in consistency than most other versions I've had, esp vs most Texas style chili I've had.
                            i herd the zippys chilli also has peanut butter in it.

the peanut butter is what gives it that light brown color..

Comment

Originally posted by DosNekos View Post
                              I think most of you are right in the sense that Zippy's is in no way, shape or form the best chili out there...but it's comfort food...especially for those of us lolo enough to live in the mainland...everytime we come home, it's straight to Zip's for chili rice...makes us feel like we're home again...now, my wife makes an awesome chili for the meat lovers out there...it has bacon, portuguese sausage, ground beef...and a spicy kick to boot!
                              This gotta be one killa chili!!! I hope she make ono mac salad too...
                              bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Mayo rocks! I like to add mayo to my zippys chili. And also to my beef stew. But when I make my own chili, I add a can of cream of mushroom. Kinda has the same color as zippy's, but I make mine more chunkier and spicier!

Comment

Working...
                                X