Uhhhmmmm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uhhhmmmm?

Is it just me, uhhhmmmm, or is it every politician and Whitehouse speaker out there, that can't refrain from repeating, "uhhhmmmm??????", every ten words or so???????????? Uhhhmmmm, is this a problem???????? or, uhhhmmmm, is it just me????????? If you can't organize your thoughts into a relatively cohesive sentence, then maybe you should just, uhhhmmmm, keep your mouth shut and wait until you can, uhhhmmmm, organize your thoughts, let your Po'o, as in head, catch up with your waha, as in mouth, before saying, uhhhmmmm, anything!!! Pretty embarassing, if you ask, uhhhmmmm, me,,,,,,,,,,,,,And check out the Laugh Shack over on Mauiniuolelo.com if you have the, uhhhmmmm, time, for you old timers here in Hawaii, it will bring a, uhhhmmmm, smile to your helehele'na, as in face!!!

Aloha, and uhhhmmmm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Re: Uhhhmmmm????????

Talking slowly and deliberately, with lots of pauses, and uhhmmms, makes some people feel smarter. Just check any Ivy League educated nitwit who tries to communicate verbally. Others who are listening sometimes interpret this slow communication as intellectual.

It's a all a giant ruse.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Well, I just counted the number of uhhhmmmm's uttered by the Whitehouse spokesperson,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 17 UPM, that's right!!!!!!!!!!!! 17 uhhhmmms per minute!!!!!!!!! I mean, he was like burnin "uhhhmmmms" like there was no tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If we could just harness all the wasted vocal energy from those wasted "uhhhmmms", we'ld be able to power all of the northeast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well, maybe part anyways,,,,,,,,,,,,,, okay, maybe just a bit,,,,,,,,,,, maybe just part of Vermont and New Hampshire, Vermont probably wouldn't want to have anything to do with it, you know how they can, uhhhmmmm, be, so maybe just, uhhhmmmm, New Hampshire???????? What makes them so, uhhhmmmm, New, anyways?????????? Haven't they been there for a while????????????? Oh well, we're in Hawaii, what would we, uhhmmmm, know anyways???????????? Do check out the Laugh Shack on Mauiniuolelo.com, the impending SPAM shortage is becoming quite the, uhhhmmmm, crisis, sure everyone here would like it, gaurens going put one minoa'ka,as in smile, on your, uhhhmmmm, face!!!!

Aloha

Comment

George Bush 43 never uhhhmmmmed.
        Burl Burlingame
        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

No, he was strictly a "duuuhhhh" man,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,to each his, uhhhmmmm, own!! Meanwhile, the impending SPAMADEMIC looms, unabaited,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,can you really "bait" SPAM?????????????????

Aloha

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
            Just check any Ivy League educated nitwit who tries to communicate verbally. Others who are listening sometimes interpret this slow communication as intellectual.
            What's wrong with an Ivy League education? My daughter has one and she is very nice, hardly a nitwit. She has very good oral and written communication skills and uses them to help people. You would probably like her. She is a very gentle person and non-threatening to everyone. You have to be careful about name calling because people might think you a nitwit.

What's.............wrong............with.......... ..being..........intellectual? Ooooooor.......dooooooo........weeeeee...........h aaaaaaaave..........
            tooooooo.........duuuuuuuumb..........everrrrrrrrr rrrrrry........thiiiiiiiiiing....... dooooooown........tooooooo...........theeeeeee.... .....loooooooowest.........
            coooooooooommon.........denominatoooooooooooor?
            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

If we can at least tolerate the abominable typical/common speech that is heard by so-called professionals, on air no less, not to mention the pathetic talk by the average shmuck on the street, then we can survive the manini speech pitfalls by our newly elected personel. We put up with endless and major lies from the former bunch for 8 years, so give the new guys a break, they are just getting their feet wet.
              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

If I were speaking off the cuff to a roomful of reporters who will seize upon my every nuance and parsed phrase and who will instantly transmit it around the world as permanent record … I'd think before I spoke too.
                After eight years of an administration who didn't consider the consequences of words and actions, it's a nice change.
                Burl Burlingame
                "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

I sometimes pause when I am speaking, as my thoughts form. I'd rather put in a quiet pause, than fill it in with an "uhhhhhmmmm". Some people are bothered by their own silence, thus the "uuuuummmmm".

I did court testimony once where what I said was transcribed, "ummms" and all. I tell you, if you ever read back what you've said and SEE the "uhummm"s inserted into your speech, you'll learn to quietly pause, too.
                  Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Uhhhmmmm, it's no different from all the like, and you know that a lot of people use when they speak. I doubt that it reflects on their education or intellect.

Comment

Do people speaking in a foreign language say Uhhhmmmm during pauses too?

Comment

Re: Uhhhmmmm?

Verbal tics are not a measure of intelligence.

In the course of standard conversation, it is typical to pause in some fashion during speech, to shift our constant flow of thoughts, in order to construct the best verbal expressions of which we are capable. Many people say something, such as "ummmm" or "ahhhhh" or "errrrrr" or "ya know" or "like," because we commonly don't like to leave silences in our speech patterns. A number of speakers from around the world have these types of sounds, too, they are not just part of English speech patterns.

In the contemporary cultures with which the majority of us here are familiar, if someone leaves a pause of silence, it is viewed as a cue for someone else to speak, so these verbal fillers are space-holders --- a way of saying "I'm not done, it's not your turn yet, don't begin to speak." This is because listening is not one of our better skills; rather than actually listening to what another person is saying, we are instead already formulating our next response.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                          In Japanese the "uhh..." takes the form of a vowel at the end of a phrase. For example: Ano, oooo, henna, aaaa, gaijin ga sa, anooooo, kekko, oooo, jouzu na nihongo, ooooo, dekiru yo ne. (That, uh, weird, uh, foreigner can, uh, speak, uh, pretty good, uh, Japanese.)

A little melodramatic, but you get the point.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                            Io uhhhmmmm, ae kakai uhhhmmmm i Tonga lea uhhhmmmm 'he lea uhhhmmmm fakaTonga, ka uhhhmmmm ikai 'ako uhhhmmmm 'he 'ako fakaIvy League.
                            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by dick View Post
                              In Japanese the "uhh..." takes the form of a vowel at the end of a phrase. For example: Ano, oooo, henna, aaaa, gaijin ga sa, anooooo, kekko, oooo, jouzu na nihongo, ooooo, dekiru yo ne. (That, uh, weird, uh, foreigner can, uh, speak, uh, pretty good, uh, Japanese.)

A little melodramatic, but you get the point.
                              ee to (ne)?

Comment

Working...
                              X