X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 7

Originally posted by Rickyrab View Post
    Well, I haven't come across any, and my opinion that "it kills whales" stemmed from this video about "similar" ferries killing whales in the Canary Islands. But it's still an ugly boat nonetheless.
    Rickyrab, I respect your opinion but "similar" is a huge difference from being the "SAME" as Da Hawaii Superferry!

No whales have been killed by such a BOAT!

I rest my CASE.

Mahalo

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Here's a scientific paper about high speed ferry collisions with whales all around the world. It doesn't break down the incidents by type of ferry, only noting that high speed is defined as travelling at 30 knots or higher, which is what HSF would be doing in waters greater than 100 fathoms. One of the more important conclusions that is reported is yes, speed kills: the faster the ferry, the more likely the whale that is struck will be killed.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
        Here's a scientific paper about high speed ferry collisions with whales all around the world. It doesn't break down the incidents by type of ferry, only noting that high speed is defined as travelling at 30 knots or higher, which HSF would be doing in waters greater than 100 fathoms. One of the more important conclusions that is reported is yes, speed kills: the faster the ferry, the more likely the whale that is struck will be killed.

Miulang
        Once again, "How many whales were killed by this type of BOAT?"

Lynn

Comment

Lest we take this "kills whales" thing too far:

-Airplanes kill birds
          -Cars kill people
          -Bicycles... well, there was that woman who biked into a truck on Haleakala, wasn't there?
          -Trucks kill people
          -People walking around kill ants and bugs
          -etc., etc., etc

Comment

Lest we take this "kills whales" thing too far:

-Airplanes kill birds
            -Cars kill people
            -Bicycles... well, there was that woman who biked into a truck on Haleakala, wasn't there?
            -Trucks kill people
            -People walking around kill ants and bugs
            -etc., etc., etc
            You started it!

And we may have found the simplest answer to the problem.

There has been no incident whatsoever of any Whale being killed by this type of BOAT! Hmmmm...maybe I should go to the Capital and show dem buggas wat we found.ha ha ha

Auntie Pupule

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              Originally posted by Rickyrab
              the Hawaii Stupidferry.
              Now THAT'S going to add to a constructive discussion...
              I couldn't resist the play on words, and I think that the decision to build the Stupid... err, Superferry was a bit hasty and a tad poorly thought-out. But I support the idea of an interisland ferry, if not exactly how it was executed.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                You started it!

There has been no incident whatsoever of any Whale being killed by this type of BOAT! Hmmmm...maybe I should go to the Capital and show dem buggas wat we found.ha ha ha

Auntie Pupule
                lol

Comment

No wonder there aren't very many like the Hawaii Stupidferry. It's an ugly boat and it kills whales. There are better looking (and better) ferries out there. And as for cars... if transit had been properly engineered in HI there wouldn't have been a need to ship cars all over the place. Moreover, cars further sprawl.
                  Now I respect opposing viewpoints but why is it anti-ferry folks are so insistent with name calling? It doesn't help you win over the opposition.

If transit had been properly engineered in HI? What do you mean? We can't build suspension bridges between the islands, we don't sit on a continental shelf in which the bridge pylons can be pile driven into.

Sorry to burst your bubbles, but all kinds of boats kill whales. Unless you are saying no more shipping commerce, it's a biased statement. Might as well accuse the black man that he did it.

Comment

I couldn't resist the play on words, and I think that the decision to build the Stupid... err, Superferry was a bit hasty and a tad poorly thought-out. But I support the idea of an interisland ferry, if not exactly how it was executed.
                    OMG!!! Make up your MIND! You like ~ You no LIKE?

You making me go DIZZY!

Stupid is right. No, WRONG! Ahhhh...nebamind. Just joking.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                      Now I respect opposing viewpoints but why is it anti-ferry folks are so insistent with name calling? It doesn't help you win over the opposition.

If transit had been properly engineered in HI? What do you mean? We can't build suspension bridges between the islands, we don't sit on a continental shelf in which the bridge pylons can be pile driven into.

Sorry to burst your bubbles, but all kinds of boats kill whales. Unless you are saying no more shipping commerce, it's a biased statement. Might as well accuse the black man that he did it.
                      By "proper engineering" I meant working out good bus and perhaps even trolley routes to and from ferries and planes, on the islands themselves, and better management and construction of the ferries and routes themselves.

As for name calling and whale killing, see my above posts.

that being said, why a car ferry?

Comment

You started it!

Auntie Pupule
                        Tita Lynne: "this type" of boat is a high speed ferry. The fact that there are no other boats like it makes it even more important to do an EA, yeah?

Bottom line is that the speed of the ferry has more to do with why the whales are killed than the kind of boat. If all boats went less than 20 knots, fewer whales would be hurt or killed. When the Legislature goes into Special Session, I can almost guarantee that one of the conditions the Neighbor Island legislators are going to require before approving any bills to bail out HSF is that HSF can't go as fast as it's advertised. So instead of a 3-hour trip, it might take 4 or 5 hours in the wintertime when the whales are around, and that would be probably 6 months out of the year.

Miulang
                        Last edited by Miulang; October 12, 2007, 08:10 AM.
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

OMG!!! Make up your MIND! You like ~ You no LIKE?

You making me go DIZZY!

Stupid is right. No, WRONG! Ahhhh...nebamind. Just joking.

Auntie Lynn

Well, I have nothing wrong against TheBoat.... and why should I make up my mind. I have fun being indecisive (yeah, just joking)

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                            Tita Lynne: "this type" of boat is a high speed ferry. The fact that there are no other boats like it makes it even more important to do an EA, yeah? Miulang
                            I read what Bruddah Blaine wrote. He was a Submariner and knows wat he talking about. I also read on The Advertiser.com Forum many comments as well. The HSF would make shua and take precautions not to hit or kill any whale. And I also believe if any whale see the Superferry approaching dey not dumb to stay and wait and pose for the passengers. Nah, they going hightail their okoles outta dea. Remember, whales are smart creatures. I watched Orca!

Lynn

Comment

By "proper engineering" I meant working out good bus and perhaps even trolley routes to and from ferries and planes, on the islands themselves, and better management and construction of the ferries and routes themselves.

As for name calling and whale killing, see my above posts.

that being said, why a car ferry?
                              Well I think we're finally having that light bulb go off as we're looking into different transit forms like the rail or The Boat, etc. We've still got a ways to go. If anything, I wonder, why isn't Kauai or Maui heavily investing in public transportation. It makes perfect sense there because it will help retain the small footprint, no H1. And everybody claims there that they have this close family mentality instead of "big city" Oahu so you think PT would work even better there.

Why a car ferry? Strictly speaking from a business point of view, there is a need and it is also a selling factor to someone who is going to think, I can sit on a plane for 20 min or 3 hours on a boat BUT on the boat, my car comes along so I am swayed to choose the boat. Not to mention the possibility of intra-island commerce that can occur the same day.

Comment

Well, I have nothing wrong against TheBoat.... and why should I make up my mind. I have fun being indecisive (yeah, just joking)
                                I like you!

You have a great weekend and watch the Bows win today!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Working...
                                X