Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to get the absolute BEST maguro without spending LOADS of cash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to get the absolute BEST maguro without spending LOADS of cash?

i really WANT to treat myself this week to some nice fatty tuna.... the REALLY melt in your mouth GOOD stuff!
    whats your favortie sushi place where the fish is good but the place is just a joint. not looking for fancy decor... just want to drop in and make a pig of myself for a few hours.
    Mahalo

Re: Where to get the absolute BEST maguro without spending LOADS of cash?

My favorite spot to eat sushi is Mitch's near the airport. Not fancy, but the freshest and best I've had here in Hawaii. Very tiny, so it's best to go mid-afternoon when it isn't busy. Bring a beer for yourself and don't forget to bring a bottle for Mitch!

Comment

I like to go to Zippy's in Pearl City, the one next to Longs on Kam. Hwy. If you want big pieces of fish, that's the place to go! My favorite is the hamachi!

Comment

Man, this sounds good...
        flickr

An email from God:
        To: People of Earth
        Date: 9/04/2007
        Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
        God

Comment

Originally posted by OnoLoa View Post
          i really WANT to treat myself this week to some nice fatty tuna.... the REALLY melt in your mouth GOOD stuff!
          whats your favortie sushi place where the fish is good but the place is just a joint. not looking for fancy decor... just want to drop in and make a pig of myself for a few hours.
          Mahalo
          i highly recommend sunrise cafe just a wee off kapahulu on the same block as waioli shave ice. sunrise is a sushi bar/okinawan food spot run by the most adorable okinawan man and his son. THE BEST FISH FOR THE PRICE, and mind you, genki is just a few blocks down the way, but i'll take sunrise over genki anyday. and you'll love the hospitality at sunrise. the owner might regale you with some okinawan songs, esp as he gets more hammered while making sushi as the eve goes along. parking is tight, and the restaurant fits maybe 18 people total, 5 at the sushi bar. you can also get hamachi kama ($13.00 for huge pieces), salmon dynamite, goya chanpuru and other stuff. the sushi/soup specials are about $13 bucks for a bowl of soup (oxtail, special miso, and...tripe i think are the choices) plus 13-15 pieces of really good sushi. i think reid on onokinegrindz.com has a review of them on his food blog.

gaah, now i'm ono for sunrise!
          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
            My favorite spot to eat sushi is Mitch's near the airport. Not fancy, but the freshest and best I've had here in Hawaii. Very tiny, so it's best to go mid-afternoon when it isn't busy. Bring a beer for yourself and don't forget to bring a bottle for Mitch!
            I gotta agree, the fish here is fresh. Mitch used to be a fish wholesaler who decided to make his own sushi bar. I've never seen him make any sushi but the guys he's hired are great. And, yes, the place is small. The food is definitely worth the price although that it may cost a little more than you're willing to spend.

Originally posted by wowlaulau View Post
            I like to go to Zippy's in Pearl City, the one next to Longs on Kam. Hwy. If you want big pieces of fish, that's the place to go! My favorite is the hamachi!
            For the price this may be the best bet. I believe the head sushi chef is named Susumo Machida. He selects some pretty good fish. If you're going to gorge yourself on sushi this would fit your price range if you're looking to eat on a budget. After all it is a Zippy's.

If driving to Pearl City isn't your thing you could always go to Yohei Sushi over in Kalihi.
            You can take the boy out of Hilo but you can't take the Hilo out of the boy!

Comment

WoW!!! mahalo for all the suggestions i am gonna try every one in the next few weeks. i LOOOOVE good sushi!

Comment

Working...
              X