X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An unsafe childhood

Originally posted by kimo55 View Post
    yea. hoooman that is another thread.

all the toys we can't have now becuause of lawyers and all the manini lawsuits instigated in past few decades.
    remind me of one woman who lost her kid cuz he wasn't sitting fully in the back of a truck, diver rides recklessly, kid falls out, ma-ke die dead.
    she, being a prominent socialite campaignes to get that action illegal. and a law is passed. JUST cuz of a couple dumb kids' moves.
    OK, so I'll start one.

I started it by pointing out the Vac-u-form, a device that heated plastic over a hotplate until it became soft.

Do they still sell wood burning kits?

My family's car was a '56 - no seat belts, much less airbags or crush zones. The next car was a '67 - had lap belts, but we never buckled up unless we were going over the Pali.

Playing with mercury. Hey, it was fun!

What other products or pastimes we enjoyed as kids that are no longer allowed or seriously frowned upon?

Re: An unsafe childhood

I remember breaking thermometers and playing with the mercury, back kailua days.

and yea wood burning kits. had them. made alotta cool creations, burned down an outhouse. guess it evened out.

we would do firecrakers all year long. saved em and played wittem as we saw fit;
    packed plumbing pipes full of unrolled fireckrackers/gunpowder, packed the top with lavarock. lit the bottom, watched the cannon blow s#!t across lanikai. hope yours wasn't one of the broken living room windows.

about 15 or so, we would smoke da paka on lanikai beach then go out mokulua drive and plant ourselves under our bikes right in front of the telephone pole at the bottom of the incline below the lanikai monument. we waited to see motorists drive by screech , jump out and say oh kid, you okay!?
    and we'd bolt up, ride away screming laffin.

sometimes two of us would stand on either side of the road leaning back, with our clenched fists aiming to the middle of the road as if we are pulling a rope tight across the road. this would freak out motorists. and especially bicyclists.
    Last edited by kimo55; January 17, 2007, 07:44 AM.

Comment

go out mokulua drive and plant ourselves under our bikes right in front of the telephone pole at the bottom of the incline below the lanikai monument. we waited to see motorists drive by screech , jump out and say oh kid, you okay!?
      and we'd bolt up, ride away screming laffin.
      Wait as sec!!! I've heard this before! This sounds like the Lanikai/BS Lanikai drama freaks I went to school with. Bob? David? Iszat you?

Comment

I had several Japanese toys... good stuff, actual painted metal and chrome, serious construction... genuine Voltron cats that created the giant robot, seeming precursors to Transformers, oh, they were great. Lots of small, pointy parts to injure and maim. They'd be worth a fortune, if I didn't trash them like I did most any toy with daily use.

And if I still had 'em. One day I came home to find the whole bin gone. My mom had read the paint had lead in it and wanted it out of the house pronto. Gods, was I bummed.

As my house fills with toys for my kids, I'm constantly mourning how some classics have changed -- metal to plastic, sturdy to flimsy -- and how less and less imagination is fostered. I guess they're less likely to shoot their eye out, but I think they're missing a lot of the fun, too. I'm grateful that along with Barbie and the new, plastic Little People sets, they also love their wooden Lincoln Logs and classic LEGOs.

Comment

I remember breaking thermometers and playing with the mercury, back kailua days.
          Hmmmm...that explains it

I had the full on Erector set with the electric motor and the gear reduction unit. No sheath over the gears so one day after seeing Superman stick log in a set of gears to stop the tram on TV I thought I could stop my gear reduction motor by sticking my finger in the gears.

Yeah I stopped the motor alright after I yanked it off it's mounts running around the house with my finger mashed in the gears (metal back in those days, not cheapo plastic) and the motor housing dangling from my crushed finger as I wailed for MOMMY!

And skateboarding with rock wheels and no protection. It was just a known fact that when you skateboarded back in the early 60's you ate it and got cherries and assorted other bruises and broked bones.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Its kind of sad how protected kids are nowadays in comparison. Now theres no hexigonal monkey bar jungle gym things, everythings all plastic and foam padding in case some dee de dee kid hangs himself. (did this actually happen; to cause the riddance of the jungle gyms?) I did swing on the swings in an unsafe manner (standing on the swing seat) and flew off, bonking my head. I'm mostly okay.
            Legos used to be about building things with basic blocks and your imagination. Now its all specialized sets and boy, they arent cheap. I remember making 2 story houses out of lego and putting in bugs and prettending they were people =p
            Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

One of my favorite hanabata days toys was the wind-up Evel Kneivel bike. Wind that bugger up to about 10,000 rpm and send it over jumps, cliffs, balconies, whatever. The poor Evel action figure that came with it was gone the day I got it. Not a particularly dangerous toy, I suppose, but I do seem to recall my sister's hair getting hopelessly tangled in the contraption and the subsequent tearful haircut she got from my mom.

The most dangerous toy I can remember was the plastic tracks for the HotWheels cars I loved so much. I never had to suffer it, but when my hanabata friends got too kolohe, I remember wincing in sympathy when they got dirty lickins with those tracks. Talk about whack whacks! That's one dangerous toy, brah!
              Don't be mean,
              try to help.

Comment

*opens mouth...pauses...smirks...walks away*

superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  I had the full on Erector set
                  there's a joke in there somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
                    *opens mouth...pauses...smirks...walks away*
                    ericncyn, you, your hubby mixplatebroker, meet palolojoe. who all three, with yer annoying inconsequential buzzing, are banished and now reside on da ignore island. have fun, kids.
                    Last edited by kimo55; January 17, 2007, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Hmmmm...that explains it

I had the full on Erector set with the electric motor and the gear reduction unit. No sheath over the gears so one day after seeing Superman stick log in a set of gears to stop the tram on TV I thought I could stop my gear reduction motor by sticking my finger in the gears.
                      there's a joke in there somewhere.
                      it's even funnier when you read the whole paragraph. Sorry Craig.
                      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

slap bracelets! The ones that were all metal and cut your whole wrists when you slapped them on...so you ended up chasing your brother with them and gashing his head open!
                        Maybe that wasn't an unsafe toy but an unsafe handler!
                        Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                        Sharing withother survivors...
                        www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

I still have my Vac-u-form and still use it.
                          Burl Burlingame
                          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Your good...real good.

Comment

Originally posted by PoiBoy View Post
                              Your good...real good.
                              that's what SHE said after he stuck his finger in and got the full on erector set. and no sheath either!

Comment

Working...
                              X