Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Congrats Walter Makaula! He's movin' on up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Congrats Walter Makaula! He's movin' on up!

Originally posted by tutusue View Post

<wave to lurkers!>
    Right on braddah Waltah! You go, brah!

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah View Post
      Right on braddah Waltah! You go, brah!
      One non-media related lurker, uh, lurkah, now outta hiding!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        ...the support of Walter isn't about numbers. He's a local boy who's movin' on up and that's so worthy of kudos.
        I never said that moving up was unworthy of kudos. It's true that I don't agree that a move to San Diego is a step up (whatever the market size), and I happen to love San Diego and have spent more vacation time there than anywhere else on the mainland. As you mention, there are excellent broadcasters who spend their whole careers here or who find their way here mid-career and love it so much that they stay. Many of them would probably agree that the real step up is the move from San Diego to Hawaii. I acknowledge now that my original post WAS excessively negative; I can't decide if it would have been better to keep my mouth shut (and thus keep my negativity out of the thread) or worse to keep my mouth shut (and thus censor myself for disagreeing that congratulations are necessarily in order). Shutting up because I disagree seems to violate the spirit of HT, but so does excessive negativity. It's a wire I thought I knew how to walk, but it's clear that I'm still learning.

There's a lot of talent in Hawaii who never seems to get a break.
        This is true, but I wonder how many San Diegans never get to work in Hawaii. I feel worse for them. Do you see my point? I was trying to express in my initial post that not EVERYONE would see this as a "step up." In fact, I confess that part of my negative reaction was because I'm very tired of the implication that (a) I'm not as important an audience as I would be if I were living on the mainland, and (b) people who choose to stay here are less successful or less talented than people who don't. You yourself, tutusue, have talked about how much happier you are living here than in California. Did you consider it a demotion?

It just appeared that you felt a need to rain on Walter's parade.
        Believe me (and I sincerely hope you do): If I met Walter in person, the first thing I would do is congratulate him on finding a job he'd rather have. However, the second thing I'd do is say, "Look: the day you leave, the quality of local broadcasting does down a couple of notches, at least temporarily. I can't say I'm happy about that, so go do what you have to do and come home someday." Forgive me if I don't consider a thread on a message board Walter doesn't participate in a "parade" in his honor. I would never rain on his parade, if indeed I thought this was a parade! If Erika told us she was leaving for more lucrative pastures, believe me, I wouldn't be happy about it and I would express it, but I would never publicly communicate these things in what (I am now aware) was an excessively negative manner.

And, in life's big picture, why would you even be concerned about how Angela communicated HT's support to Walter?
        You're right, I guess. I don't know why I care. Angela could make up anything she wanted, even saying that there was unanimous support from two thousand posters on HT, and why would it matter to me? Really, people can say anything they want about what goes on at HT, and in the big picture, it doesn't matter. I seem to be the only one who does care about that, though, so maybe I need to explore that a bit.

As for the silent, supportive lurkers, you know that's not a fair thing to use as support. How do we know there aren't also an enormous number of people who, unlike me, have the tact and wisdom just to shut up if they don't agree that a move to San Diego is a step up? We don't.

I've already apologized, but I'll do it again: Clearly, I was needlessly negative. I am sorry.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          I never said that moving up was unworthy of kudos.[...]
          Not in so many words...
          This is true, but I wonder how many San Diegans never get to work in Hawaii. I feel worse for them. Do you see my point?
          Yes, I do see your point. To be honest, I don't know why I posted my lengthy reply when my only beef was the way you presented your initial post. Ya know...it's not what you say but how you say it!
          I was trying to express in my initial post that not EVERYONE would see this as a "step up." In fact, I confess that part of my negative reaction was because I'm very tired of the implication that (a) I'm not as important an audience as I would be if I were living on the mainland, and (b) people who choose to stay here are less successful or less talented than people who don't.
          Hmmm...that implication never occurred to me. I think you might be over intellectualizing and reading too much into a very harmless, simple topic. My interpretation of Angela's post was that it was about congratulating Walter on his new opportunity without implicating anything about you, the viewer. Often, when people take a job in another market, it tends to be an advancement with more exposure, more money and a new challenge. Otherwise...why leave? Except when one is offered a job in Hawaii, of course! I'm sure you'll understand that when someone is already in Hawaii, then what? Walter is seizing an opportunity. If that's not a "step up" to you I can honor that.
          You yourself, tutusue, have talked about how much happier you are living here than in California. Did you consider it a demotion?[...]
          My move to Hawaii in 1978 was definitely a demotion in my career; one I was willing to take. My pay was cut by more than half and there were far fewer opportunities. I had to counter that by taking jobs in other areas of production with which I wasn't familiar. Fortunately, I wasn't a fish outta water in the industry! Now...here's the important part! Yes, I was and am much happier here...because the lifestyle is so much nicer. It's been a trade-off and lifestyle wins. I would be willing to bet that had I been born and raised in Hawaii, gotten my feet wet in the local film industry and was offered a chance to work in Hollywood...I would've taken it. And I, almost certainly, would've moved back to Hawaii!!!

I'm trying to convince my daughter that her lifestyle will benefit, too! But, oooooh, would she ever take a career hit...a huge demotion for her.
          [...]Forgive me if I don't consider a thread on a message board Walter doesn't participate in a "parade" in his honor. I would never rain on his parade, if indeed I thought this was a parade![...]
          I'm now sorry that I used that expression!
          You're right, I guess. I don't know why I care. Angela could make up anything she wanted, even saying that there was unanimous support from two thousand posters on HT, and why would it matter to me? Really, people can say anything they want about what goes on at HT, and in the big picture, it doesn't matter. I seem to be the only one who does care about that, though, so maybe I need to explore that a bit.
          Why would Angela or anyone else make up anything? It could be something as simple and unassuming as..."Hey, Walter, the folks at HT are happy for you." Not ALL the folks or 5 folks. Just..."the folks"...something simple and harmless and definitely not worthy of over intellectualizing!
          As for the silent, supportive lurkers, you know that's not a fair thing to use as support. How do we know there aren't also an enormous number of people who, unlike me, have the tact and wisdom just to shut up if they don't agree that a move to San Diego is a step up? We don't.
          I, personally, feel that the potential of silent lurker support is fair in this situation as it does happen. I'm always amazed at the number of PMs and private email I get in response to my posts. Sometimes it's support. Other times it's discussion. So I know that this is definitely a by-product of participating in HT.
          I've already apologized, but I'll do it again: Clearly, I was needlessly negative. I am sorry.
          Oh, scriv, you're an articulate, overly bright, contributing member of HT and sometimes you get in your own way! What would we do without you?

Comment

However, the second thing I'd do is say, "Look: the day you leave, the quality of local broadcasting does down a couple of notches, at least temporarily. I can't say I'm happy about that, so go do what you have to do and come home someday."
            This emphasizes a point that I have experienced with a number of former Island residents, who took Mainland jobs in order to further their careers. A number of them have expressed to me that they always considered the move to be temporary - something they did for the money, the opportunities, the experience, the advancement - but that the day will come that they will move "home."

Granted, many of them are still somewhere on the Mainland, dreaming of the day they can return, but just as many did exactly what they said they would do, and eventually returned to Hawai`i.

Many people consider the place where they were raised to be "home," but in my anecdotal experience, more people hailing originally from Hawai`i express plans to return someday than any other locale I can think of. I can't help but wonder if that seed is in Walter's mind, too.

Until we have that answer, we can only congratulate him on his career success.

Comment

Can we now all agree that when one moves "up" 40+ market sizes, one is in fact in the throes of an upward career move? Bigger market equals more pay, more prestige, more exposure.
              The people in market 27 aren't anymore important that the people in Hawaii's 72nd market, actually we dropped to #73 as of January, there's just more people in market 27.
              There's no reason to get hostile thinking its implies that Hawaii is inferior to mainland markets. I've been a lifelong resident, and I can't think of a better place to live, but the fact is Hawaii is a very small television market. As an example, the markets immediately ahead of us are at Des Moines, Iowa #71 and Toledo, Ohio #72. That's how we rate on market size.
              Market size doesn't reflect the amount of talent or skill a locale has, but it certainly does reflect in the pay scale. So now Walter doesn't have to wait 10-15 years to make top pay as a news anchor in Hawaii. He's already surpassed it with his move to San Diego. The rumored salary of Joe Moore is an exception to the pay of the rest of Hawaii's news anchors.
              Last edited by Media Guy; July 18, 2008, 12:52 PM. Reason: typing error

Comment

Check this out:

New anchor named for KHNL's 5 p.m. newscast

Mari-Ela David will anchor the KHNL News 8 at 5 p.m. weekday newscasts beginning July 25.
                KHNL news director Dan Dennison said David will replace Walter Makaula, who has decided to relocate to KSWB-TV in San Diego where he will become weekend anchor and reporter.
                "Mari-Ela has done a wonderful job the past year as our late reporter and fill-in anchor," said Dennison. "In her new role she will still be out in the field each day producing stories and then kicking off our afternoon news block."

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Can the news be read by someone cuter than Mari-Ela David?
                  Can or No Can?

Comment

Congrats Walter! From MAMA and Auntie Lynn of Da Old Benny's!
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                      Can the news be read by someone cuter than Mari-Ela David?
                      Can or No Can?
                      No can. She's waaaaaaaaaaay cute.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                        Check this out:
                        Stephanie and Mari-Ela. Talk about a girl/girl news action.

Besides, I'm kinda tired of the boy/girl team-up.
                        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Angelakeen View Post
                          Walter has accepted a position with KSWB in San Diego. I've watched him improve by leaps and bounds
                          Go get em Walt!
                          =====================
                          A sincere congratulations to Walter...I recently stumbled across this clip recorded about 19 years ago from a Japanese TV show. I think it is quite funny.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EycXJmj6pac

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                            Stephanie and Mari-Ela. Talk about a girl/girl news action.

Besides, I'm kinda tired of the boy/girl team-up.
                            Watching that news team would be exhausting.
                            Go see a medical doctor if you're watching/lasting for more than 4 hours straight!

Comment

A big congrats to Walter, also to Mari-Ela!

I assume Dash will continue to anchor the 6pm and 10pm news?

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by DNR55 View Post
                                =====================
                                A sincere congratulations to Walter...I recently stumbled across this clip recorded about 19 years ago from a Japanese TV show. I think it is quite funny.
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EycXJmj6pac
                                Wow. What was THAT???

Comment

Working...
                                X