About these attacks in India

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: About these attacks in India

It might be a good idea to find out what they were so angry about.
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
      It might be a good idea to find out what they were so angry about.
      Does this mean you're abandoning the overdone steak theory?

Seriously, though. You're talking about a region of the world that has been in constant turmoil. I don't even know if "angry" is an applicable word anymore: Some of these inherited conflicts seem more about a tradition of enmity than about any kind of momentary emotion like anger. When trouble like this arises in the Middle East, it's generally assumed to be a Muslim/Islam conflict, or in certain areas, conflict between different Muslim sects. When it arises in India, the safe assumption is usually that it has something to do with Kashmir.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
        What can we do to make terrorism less attractive and peaceful behavior more attractive?
        Give in to terrorists' demands? After all, they don't seem the type to compromise, unlike us.
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
          We will never defeat terrorism by fighting terrorists.
          So we just accept it?
          See, Tim, this is what I mean by over-simplification; it's not an easy black-or-white proposition. When salmoned says fighting terrorists is not the path to defeating terrorism, he's not saying that you have to accept it - as if that were the only alternative. He's saying (and I hope I am interpreting his wise words correctly) that there are better ways to defeat terrorism. Just chasing after the "bad guys" is like trying to cure a disease by only treating the symptoms - it won't work. The root causes of terrorism, like a disease, still remain and still do their damage. Even capturing or killing Osama bin Laden would do nothing to stop terrorist activity - did the death of Saddam Hussein do it?

Comment

Yes, the 'good fight/bad fight' "axiom" goes well beyond stupidity.
            This entire post by salmoned is their finest effort to date. The post poses many questions that are worth pondering. Salmoned, use your talents to continue in this vein. Maali'e! (way to go)
            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Ai yai yai.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com
              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                A terrorist might actually consider a reporter with a camera as a friend - he will help spread the fear. And that's the whole point.
                Good point, GeckoGeek. The media is a useful weapon.

I found this interesting article, by a Jeremy R. Hammond. It's a lot more detailed than the mainstream stuff, which makes me wonder whether it's legit, but it seems so. Perhaps the HT sluthes might verify this source:

http://www.foreignpolicyjournal.com/..._eye_print.htm

On November 18, RAW intercepted a satellite phone conversation made to a number in Lahore, Pakistan, known to be used by the military commander of LeT known alternatively by the names Yusuf Muzammil or Abu Hurrera, also known as “Yahah”. The caller notified his handlers that he was heading for Mumbai with unspecified cargo.

Once on shore near the Gateway to India, Mumbai’s main landing point near the Naval dockyard, the team split up. Four men went to the Taj Mahal hotel, where an advance team had already checked in on November 22 and set up a control room. Two went to the Nariman House, the Mumbai headquarters of Chabad Lubavitch, an ultra-orthodox Jewish group. Another acquisitioned a taxi and drove to the railway station. Two others headed to the Leopold restaurant, a hot spot for foreign visitors to Mumbai.

According to Pakistan’s Daily Times, the terrorists identified and killed two U.S. intelligence officers at the Taj Mahal hotel.

According to police, the men were aged 18 to 28. They were found to have drugs in their system, and traces of cocaine and LSD

An Associated Press photo of the confiscated guns reveals what appear to be Heckler & Koch MP5-N sub-machine guns. The “N” model is a version of the MP5 designed specifically for the U.S. Navy and used by Navy Seals teams.

BlackBerry cell phones were also recovered from the terrorists, containing international SIM cards

"By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                "
                Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                  This entire post by salmoned is their finest effort to date. The post poses many questions that are worth pondering. Salmoned, use your talents to continue in this vein. Maali'e! (way to go)
                  Well, if you insist...

I am not advocating we allow terrorists to wreak havoc unchecked. However, only responding to impending and immediate threats is comparable to only repairing water main breaks and never upgrading the system. The actionable problem is that the current systems can only service limited populations (at minimally acceptable levels of service) and we have exceeded those capacities. Too many people with too little access to resources + a smaller group with overabundant access to resources = one over-arching deficiency (or inequality) from which multifarious, seemingly unrelated problems rain down upon us. One of those problems is terrorism.

On the other hand, what we view as a problem must be considered a possible solution by terrorists themselves. Their access to resources (individually or as communities) is so curbed as to permit them to believe (truly or falsely) that violent, suicidal acts are the best or only means they have to ease their misery, to 'voice' their problems or to exert power to address their problems.
                  Last edited by salmoned; December 5, 2008, 01:20 PM.
                  May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

I'm ready to hear a 'better way' Leo, or Salmoned.

Go for it.
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Address the root causes - stop assuming that "the American Way" is the best way for the rest of the world - stop imposing our values on other nations - quit manipulating governments against the will of their citizens, just for our own short-term gains/cheaper oil/bargain consumer goods - stop selling arms around the world, then wonder how they got into the hands of somebody else - cease being "the world's police" - put more efforts into providing better opportunities for poorer nations - quit disrespecting people with other religious/political/cultural beliefs - don't invade other countries, just because their leaders pissed off our leaders - start giving a damn about people other than ourselves - shift our focus towards helping relieve the suffering in our own country - get out of the mindset that "we're number one"/"we're the greatest"/"we know what's good for you"

Comment

So, Tim - I responded to your request with the thoughts that came right off the top of my head. Now I get to ask you a question.

What are your recommendations for "a better way" to fight the terrorists? What can you come up with that our military and intelligence services haven't used?

Comment

I would ratchet up the pressure on violent people, significantly. The Idiot's biggest problem for the last 6 1/2 years is that he has pussy-footed too much.

Political Correctness and Cultural Sensitivities do not concern me.

I, like Obama has stated, would cross national borders, in pursuit of lawlessness. Peaceful people deserve peaceful surroundings. Even in Afghanistan or Iraq or anywhere else.

The American way is fine. And there are many other fine ways. But violence is not acceptable, and retaliation needs to be over-the-top.

It's only civilization if it's civilized.
                          FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

timkona, the 'American Way' as it's been pursued during the last few decades HAS been violence and violent retaliation, as evidenced by our readiness and willingness to engage in and support violence. Lighting fires promotes fire growth, at least as long as there's fuel to burn, not fire suppression. You can't rationally advocate others seek peaceful resolutions while we continue our violent ways. While we believe ourselves the sole arbiters of right and wrong, we remain a cause of the problem and no part of it's solution. One person's 'law and order' is another's tyranny. Until the situation can be viewed without bias, one cannot engage in reasoned analysis.

The paths to a better situation are many and varied, but staying in our current rut (or 'ratcheting up' our current behavior) is not among them. We will have to change to promote a solution.
                            Last edited by salmoned; December 7, 2008, 09:25 AM.

Comment

The paths to a better situation are many and varied, but staying in our current rut (or 'ratcheting up' our current behavior) is not among them. We will have to change to promote a solution.
                              Wake me up when you thought of one. Honestly, we're more likely able to cure the common cold and never have a sick day before we can be rid of terrorism.
                              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

You perfectly exemplify the nature of the problem, Random. By encompassing the issue in terms of confrontational conflict whilst the solution lies elsewhere. It may be that the 'common cold' is bolstering our defenses against other, more deadly diseases. Were we to eradicate those organisms, we may succumb to others more easily. As well, by placing the onus of 'finding a solution' on others, your comments are revealed to be nothing more than snipes. Far be it from me to wake you from your slumber.

Comment

Working...
                                X