Jawaiian Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jawaiian Music

Do you think that local contemporary reggae or "Jawaiian" music is still in the mix becuase of the radio stations that play it?
    <G>
    http://www.bartenderphd.com
    http://wwwmyspace.com/bartenderphd

Re: Jawaiian Music

Originally posted by <G>
    Do you think that local contemporary reggae or "Jawaiian" music is still in the mix becuase of the radio stations that play it?
    Mixjah. Kekai Boyz. Pana'ewa. Some quality bands just for starters. And if the radio stations didn't play them, me, the hubby and the chilirens will still hunt high and low for their sounds.

pax

Comment

I'm not a big Jawaiian fan, and I don't mix much of it into the Hawaiian programming I do for work or for radio, but I wouldn't deny it has a place in Island music, and I don't think it's going to go away (nor do I think it should.)

I knew little about the Island music scene up until a decade or so ago, so I wasn't involved during the "renaissance" of the late-60s/early-70s; was there a similar outcry when bands like Country Comfort, Kalapana, C+K, Olomana, Beamer Brothers, etc., started having hits with a Mainland-pop (very Southern California-esque, in fact) sound? Did people say "that's NOT Hawaiian music - it's just a trend, it won't last"?

Comment

I'm not at all a fan of the "reggae wanna-be" Jawaiian sound. Are our island musicians so jealous of Caribbean-style music that they're desperate to emulate it? Do the Jawaiian bands even know what a Rastafarian believes? (Other than spliffs and dreadlocks, of course. But does the Jawaiian camp know those are religious concepts to Rastafarians?)
        Out of curiosity over the past few years, I've asked several Jawaiian types to tell me who Haile Selassie was and what he means to a Rasta... and not a single one could answer.
        Freakin' wanna-be's. Pffffbt.
        And Leo, sometime for your radio show you should ask Willie K what he thinks about Jawaiian music. If you think my comments above are harsh, wait 'til Uncle Willie gets into his attacks on Jawaiian!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
        X