This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rail Transit

As much I am for rail transit, I do question the validity of the panel's majority recommending steel-on-steel transit. Forgive the pun, but as Djou have said, "we've been railroaded."
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
      The "zipper lane" was supposed to bypass traffic jams.
      [...]
      A rail transit system is under positive control all the time. It greatly reduces the possibility that a mindless few will hold up thousands of people intent on getting somewhere within a reasonable period of time. And that's the definition of "mass transit".
      I agree that the zipper lane is no substitute for mass transit. But what I'm talking about is nothing like a zipper lane. I'm saying that instead of rail, build an entirely separate guideway for buses that bypasses highway traffic jams. The public will not have access to the guideway. It will only be used by buses operated by bus drivers, and as such is not subject to the "amateur" drivers and other problems that the zipper lane suffers from. Such a guideway would only be built where the traffic jams are the worst. At least that's my vision

Comment

Yes, toll-free roads are not actually toll-free since we already pay taxes for them. And that's why there shouldn't be any toll roads and highways, since it's a redundant tax.

And yes, owning an auto is expensive. But it's so worth it.

And yes, walking is good for your health. I walk to work. But I still own a car.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
          If the route is closer to the shoreline, then it shouldn't be elevated.
          Shhhh. Don't say that too loud in Seattle, where our ancient elevated waterfront roadway will likely come down in our next sizable quake.

Comment

The steel on steel option for Oahu's Mass Transit system did not get the okay at Honolulu Hale. Wednesday a council committee wrapped up a hearing on the steel wheels against steel rails technology which was recommended by a panel of experts, but instead of passing on the bill, the committee decided it wants to reconsider two other technologies: rubber wheels on cement and magnetic levitation. A resolution has been introduced to provide full disclosure of the entire decision making process.

I'm hoping for "Rubber wheels on cement".
            Just think it would be more useful in general and even for area evacuation situations.
            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I believe a whole new perspective is the only way to promote a sustainable existence. The whole idea of a rail system presupposes continued population growth and continuing to do work the way we've worked in the past. How about trying no growth for 20 or 30 years? How about moving jobs near housing (or putting housing near jobs)? Let's see if we can make it all better, instead of just bigger. The best way to solve this problem is not by attacking it head on, but by using an end-around maneuver.

[End of non sequitur rant]
              Last edited by salmoned; March 20, 2008, 11:19 AM. Reason: expansion
              May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

have you guys read this article?

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 1:43 PM HAST
                UH Manoa study proposes traffic alternatives
                Pacific Business News (Honolulu)

http://pacific.bizjournals.com/pacif...4/daily17.html

very interesting reading....

Opps; i just saw that the advertiser has a similar article:

http://honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/p...13/1019/NEWS09
                525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Dr. Prevedouros also made his presentation to Small Business Hawaii last month. It is covered in our 30 minute TV show that airs for the next few Sundays at 4:30 pm on Olelo 54. He presented the same information there as at the press conference which I was at yesterday.

I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

hi this is sansei and in response to our moderator mel,i myself respect's your opinon only my opinion,when i once spoke to my eldest sister about elevated highway's and what Dr Prevedorous want's,my eldest sister who live's in calif and that she's experienced how elevated highway's dont work,i agree with our mayor that a rail would work and my eldest sister agree's with rail working in our state so i thought to share this with everyone.

well thank's for your time

Comment

A budget savings plan is for those solicitors to give piggyback rides for a donation.

Comment

Doesn't Pano have his own agenda? Something about being connected to cab drivers and those who make their living through driving vehicles (except bus drivers).
                        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                          Doesn't Pano have his own agenda? Something about being connected to cab drivers and those who make their living through driving vehicles (except bus drivers).
                          I'm convinced he has his own agenda. He's link to honolulutraffic.com and that site is sponsered by practically all the taxi cab companies, tour bus operators, etc.

And his solution/numbers don't sound realistic at all. The military never likes to have any tunnel near their harbor and the $1 million annual price tag to operate a car ferry across Pearl Harbor? The Boat currently needs $4 million just to operate a people ferry. How can a 500 car capacity ferry aka SuperFerry II only cost $1 mil a year to operate? This guy is blowing smoke up people's you know what.

Comment

Looks like some good news for rail. With $900 million from the feds if it happens, the project cost on the locals will be more reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
                              have you guys read this article?
                              Yes I did.

Following yesterday's briefing, Mayor Mufi Hannemann blasted Prevedouros and the subjects of his study.

"It's all political with Panos," Hannemann said. "These are all old ideas that have been studied before and have not been able to generate any momentum and support. The big question is the lack of a funding source. You can't unilaterally move the GET (tax) and Panos knows that."
                              Uh, Mufi, Panos is an engineer who can back his assertions with studies and numbers. All the reasons you've proposed is "political".

"Lack of momentum and support"? Political.

Funding source? Political.

Isn't it your job to cut though the politics and do what's good for the public? Or is that persona just for show?

"He's going against the grain of what most cities are trying to do."
                              Lemmings. So how well has it worked out for other cities in reducing their traffic?

Hannemann said nonrail options lack opportunities for economic development at rail stations.
                              Oh, so now we come across the real reason. The folks with money want BIG projects they can benefit from. Politics!

As for the comments about Panos being backed by taxi drivers as such - why should it surprise anyone? He's the only one who's talking about actually helping the traffic situation. If you look at what the proponents of rail are talking about, the traffic will continue to get worse - just not as fast. If I earned my living by driving, who would I back?

Maybe the taxi drivers, being on the road every day, seeing the problem first hand, know what will really help.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                                As for the comments about Panos being backed by taxi drivers as such - why should it surprise anyone? He's the only one who's talking about actually helping the traffic situation. If you look at what the proponents of rail are talking about, the traffic will continue to get worse - just not as fast. If I earned my living by driving, who would I back?

Maybe the taxi drivers, being on the road every day, seeing the problem first hand, know what will really help.
                                Isn't it politics too if Panos represents special interests, in this case, taxi companies, private bus companies, auto dealers, etc? These people have no problems with tolls because they won't be paying them, they will just pass that on to the end customer. I have to ask, if Panos is such an expert, why is he the only academic pushing this so hard? Why aren't his fellow colleagues at UH endorsing his solution? And let's not count his students who are depending on being on his good graces for a decent grade.

Comment

Working...
                                X