New Hawaii Five-0: Episode & Storyline Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Hawaii Five-0: Episode & Storyline Discussion

1. Grace Park's acting was awful when she and Chin Ho was at the victim's hotel room. It sounded like she was reading a book. Have some passion when talking about where she wants to go to her honeymoon. BTW, why not Hawaii? I did. I lived in Hawaii for 25 years, and there are still places I've never been to, and would like to go. Anyhow, her acting is ok for the one liners, but give her more, IMO she is awful.

2. The bickering between Steve and Danno was cute in the beginning. It builds chemistry. I think it's getting old. 2 sec after the start, I can tell you how it's going to end.

3. I like how they are developing Steve's dad (mom's) story. A bit here and there.

4. I'm not sure about the the medical examiner guy. In the words of Kono. He looks at dead bodies at work. And he looks at dead bodies at home. Kind of a psycho for a future episode? I know they are trying to develop a super smart type of character, but IMO, he seems more creepy. And maybe bad stereotype of Asians(?).

5. Like others have said, where is Steve's sister? Off somewhere in Waikiki, partying? Where is the Governor? I know there is no need to follow the old rules. But the Governor (Steve's Boss) was very much a part of Five-O.

6. I don't mind the location changes anymore, like Kauai is really Honolulu. Mainland people don't know, and that's just Hollywood. After all, there were no dinosaurs on the windward side.

Comment

For Dr. Bergman looking at dead bodies at home, it was not actual dead bodies but pictures of them from other medical examiners that were dealing with unsolved cases.

I think that scene was trying to do was that a network of medical examiners exist that might be used later on in the series.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
        For Dr. Bergman looking at dead bodies at home, (...)
        He wasn't at home, he was in the morgue. In the episode where they introduced him, they talked about how he was so eccentric that he kept a piano in the morgue; that's the piano he was tuning in this episode.
        I've been wishing that the show used some Hawaiian music, and was very glad to hear a bit of 12-string slack key at the start of this episode. Nothing in the credits about who it was, though.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Eureka! For once, an episode where McGarrett does not torture anyone........ unless you consider subjecting Danno to "Sexy Eyes" on the car stereo as a form of cruelty.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by cabanalane View Post
            2. The bickering between Steve and Danno was cute in the beginning. It builds chemistry. I think it's getting old. 2 sec after the start, I can tell you how it's going to end.
            It's like a buddy cop movie. They were bantering during a standoff with a perp at the Pali Lookout.

Comment

to reply to the various comments above...

I think the "Pagoda Hotel" reference was used because they probably paid money for the ad. "Hilton" wasn't used in the frist two episodes, it was referred to as the Kahiko hotel. It wasn't until I think Hilton made a deal with CBS that it was referred to as the Hilton and Tropics got air time as well.

The writers are definitely not letting Grace park shine as much as she could...

I agree that "Nawiliwili Harbor" text could haave been used. It just might have been a post production oversight.

I did notice the same thing about the SS Kahala Hotel... did you notice the big painting of the deck and smokestack in the background of the kahala lobby?

more on my blog on Palekaiko http://wp.me/p1bjys-80

Comment

Originally posted by teeth63a View Post
                [...] did you notice the big painting of the deck and smokestack in the background of the kahala lobby?[...]
                That made me laugh. I was trying to imagine the Kahala lobby with a huge green screen in the background! I remember when no filming was allowed on the premises. Different owner, of course.

Comment

Let's not be criticizing the inaccuracy of what is alleged references seen in the show........

- Was HILARIOUS that Oahu doubled as Kauai
                  - Pagoda Hotel in Waikiki?!?

I am grateful for that scene in the car and a the song "Sexy Eyes" and how it played into the dynamics of Steve & Danny. I have NOT heard that song in AGES and wasted no time in buying the downloading the singe online.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
                    I am grateful for that scene in the car and a the song "Sexy Eyes" and how it played into the dynamics of Steve & Danny. I have NOT heard that song in AGES and wasted no time in buying the downloading the singe online.
                    I haven't heard that song played on the radio in ages too,..... thank God! The only time one would come across it nowadays is on some CD collection filled with guilty pleasures.

The original Steve McGarrett had much better taste in music. Case in point: Season 3 episode, "Trouble In Mind." McGarrett mentions to guest star Nancy Wilson that he has all of her albums. Now that lady could sing.

Hawaii Five-0 soundtrack -Spinning Wheels
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Watching in a non-Hawaii time zone - in tonight's episode, it's Christmas season in Hawaii - with a quick turnaround of footage in the early moments: shots of Honolulu Hale Shaka Santa and the Fasi Civic Center seasonal decorations that were not even in place on the grounds this year until week of November 29. Not a MAJOR hurry to get that bit of footage into the show, but certainly adds timliness to the December show. . . last new episode to air in 2010.

Hey, even cock fighting tonight!

Comment

On some levels tonight's episode had a mixture of a slice of life in Hawaii, with a good heaping of the return of at least 3 first episode characters thrown in. Did like Danny's Christmas tree which had a Charlie Brown quaility to it.

The parts that felt strange is when they raided Victor's condo and hostess bar hang out. The condo was done by Chin Ho and a group of HPD SWAT during daylight hours while the hostess bar hang out was by Steve and Danno with no backup while it still had light outside when they entered the building. Some how time was compressed and the next thing you see that Steve and Danno are outside in the dark and calling Chin Ho to get to the bad guys at the harbor and it is only him with no HPD backup.

Before this episode aired I guess the overall issue with the Five-0 unit in this series is with "police brutality" and it might be brought up by some future episode by some kind of reporter. However tonight's episode brings to a whole another level with "evidence tampering". Even if someone on the team where to win the lottery (or a trip to Las Vegas) and replace that $10 million that got burned, it is not the same $10 million that was in the evidence lockup.

Comment

The air shot of the "IKILANI Resort" sure looks like "Kapalua", Hey! I can see "Lanai" from my house!
                          Last edited by Mauibuzz; December 14, 2010, 12:15 AM.

Comment

The parts that felt strange is when they raided Victor's condo and hostess bar hang out. The condo was done by Chin Ho and a group of HPD SWAT during daylight hours while the hostess bar hang out was by Steve and Danno with no backup while it still had light outside when they entered the building. Some how time was compressed and the next thing you see that Steve and Danno are outside in the dark and calling Chin Ho to get to the bad guys at the harbor and it is only him with no HPD backup.
                            I noticed something wasn't right, but could not put my fingers on it. My thoughts then was...kind of choppy going from one scene to another.

Last night's was the best so far. I felt it had the suspense pressure drama that it had been lacking. There are so many story leads and run offs, that I did not pay attention to the details (like you mentione above).

It gives me hope that the writers got a real plan that goes beyond one season. This episode left me with a lot of questions and expectations on what I would see on how the story will carry out.

I was beginning to loose a bit of interest, meaing it's ok if I miss it. I'll catch it on the web some time later. Now, I can't wait to see it next week. Good job.

The only "negative" I would say is their portray of the local population. It is in some way, like Dog The Bounty Hunter. The show makes all the locals looks like Mokes or criminals. Yes, that may be a part of reality, but I like them to show how the local-middle class- working-class (I don't know what to call it), most of us people on the island (?). From the Mainlander's eyes, I may be afraid to go to Hawaii.

Then again, that's not Hollywood exciting to reflect the general local population.

Comment

Some how time was compressed and the next thing you see that Steve and Danno are outside in the dark and calling Chin Ho to get to the bad guys at the harbor and it is only him with no HPD backup.
                              Chin Ho was supposed to be staying inside the condo, but when Steve called him he was sitting on his motorcycle. Steve sent him to "Ala Moana Harbor" -- I don't know why they sometimes use real names and other times don't. There's no Ala Moana Harbor; either the Ala Wai Marina or the commercial Kewalo Basin at the other end of Ala Moana Park and across from Ward Center. (The scene was shot at Kewalo.) Then Chin parked his bike and was told the bad guys were on a boat at the far end of the pier but Chin jumped on the very first boat by his bike. A bunch of continuity errors in that whole scene.
                              I also heard Grace Park say that the Ikalani Resort "owned" the beach in front of it. Uh... nobody "owns" any beach here.
                              And hey, when Steve and Danno grabbed that Mercedes taxi for the car chase, Steve said they should put on seatbelts! That's a first!
                              Best episode yet.
                              And Scott Caan was nominated for a Golden Globe this morning.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

well, I sure hope someone from the production crew is reading this because you folks all can sure help them out
                                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                                X