Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Storm Systems

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    EVERY media outlet should be showing this image as a warning.

Shift happens.
    Yes, but there's a reason for the shift.

Edit: Check this link for details.
    Last edited by GeckoGeek; August 12, 2007, 10:26 PM.

Comment

The winds are still at 135 mph according to the last bulletin issued at 11:PM last night.

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/cphc/pages/p...ata/HFO/TCPCP2

HURRICANE FLOSSIE ADVISORY NUMBER 19...CORRECTED
      NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI EP092007
      1100 PM HST SUN AUG 12 2007

...DANGEROUS HURRICANE FLOSSIE CONTINUES TO MOVE TOWARD THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...

AT 1100 PM HST...0900Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE FLOSSIE WAS LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 14.4 NORTH...LONGITUDE 148.2 WEST OR ABOUT 585 MILES SOUTHEAST OF HILO...HAWAII AND ABOUT 795 MILES SOUTHEAST OF HONOLULU...HAWAII.

FLOSSIE IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 14 MPH AND THIS MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 135 MPH WITH HIGHER GUSTS. SOME SLIGHT WEAKENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 40 MILES FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 105 MILES.
      The supposed weakening is not happening fast enough. Big Islanders need to brace themselves for this, and the rest of us need to continue monitoring the situation.

Next report at 5 AM today.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

LikaNui, you make an excellent point with the Iniki track pic! Wow, I had never seen that and though people had probably told me it did this, as I didn't move here till early '94, nothing says it like a pic. DANG....and dayum.

I need to hyper-down and get to sleep so I can awaken and have a reality check.
        Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

The latest shows about the same results. South Point on the Big Island is just touching the 39MPH wind level. Probably 2AM Wednesday. The rest of the islands are some distance from the projected path.

What I'm hearing is Oahu will have high surf and rain. So I wouldn't be too concerned for Oahu residents unless you are very close to shore or prone to flooding.

Still, a good time to check on your Hurricane plans to see if all is in order.

Expect some kind of Watch for the Big Island to be posted Monday morning.

Comment

The 5:00 am Hurricane Flossie Report from NOAA:

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/cphc/pages/p...ata/HFO/TCPCP2

BULLETIN
            HURRICANE FLOSSIE ADVISORY NUMBER 20
            NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI EP092007
            500 AM HST MON AUG 13 2007

...A HURRICANE WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR THE BIG ISLAND OF HAWAII...

AT 500 AM HST...1500Z...THE CENTER OF EXTREMELY DANGEROUS HURRICANE FLOSSIE WAS LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 14.9 NORTH...LONGITUDE 149.5 WEST OR ABOUT 495 MILES SOUTHEAST OF HILO...HAWAII AND ABOUT 705 MILES SOUTHEAST OF HONOLULU...HAWAII.

FLOSSIE IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 15 MPH AND THIS MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE THROUGH TONIGHT.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 140 MPH WITH HIGHER GUSTS.
            FLOSSIE IS A CATEGORY FOUR HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE. SOME WEAKENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 40 MILES FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 110 MILES.

Weakening in 24 hours? It picked up strength since the last report. Where's the shearing?
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

This graphic from the Joint Typhoon Warning Center includes closest point of approach, estimated times, strength, etc.
              Last edited by glossyp; February 27, 2008, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 40 MILES FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 110 MILES.
                Yesterday the TSF winds extended 90 miles... now 20 more miles added, to 110. Not good. Not good at all.

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
                This graphic from the Joint Typhoon Warning Center includes closest point of approach, estimated times, strength, etc.
                Most noticeable on that graphic is that it shows Flossie remaining as a hurricane all the way through/past Hawai`i and not downgrading to Tropical Storm or Tropical Depression levels, as was indicated yesterday.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Here on the BI it is calm............but we are getting ready...going to get some plywood today......got water...candles..fuel..etc... the civil defense message has not been updated since 5pm last nite.....in spite of every other source.. letting us know....to get prepared....i hop the CD stays on top of this...so far theyhavent kept pace on their website.... wish us luck.....
                  steve
                  the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by escondido100 View Post
                    Here on the BI it is calm............but we are getting ready...going to get some plywood today......got water...candles..fuel..etc... the civil defense message has not been updated since 5pm last nite.....in spite of every other source.. letting us know....to get prepared....i hop the CD stays on top of this...so far theyhavent kept pace on their website.... wish us luck.....
                    steve
                    You are All in my thoughts and prayers!

Auntie Lynn
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Just now saw that sustained winds increased from 135mph to 140mph (meaning gusts are now well over 165mph) and that forward motion increased from 14mph to 15mph.

Flossie is strengthening and picking up forward speed. Lord have mercy.

Comment

In this new message from NOAA, posted by them 5 minutes ago at 8am (when no update was expected until 11am), note that Flossie was formerly described as a "dangerous" hurricane but for the first time is now being called "extremely dangerous."
                        Also, look at this radar loop image.
                        For the few who've kinda shrugged the whole thing off: Time to really sit up and pay attention.
                        Last edited by LikaNui; August 13, 2007, 08:13 AM. Reason: Added radar loop link. Keep an eye on this!

Comment

My friends and family are taking this storm seriously, but at work it's a different story. So far this morning I've heard:

"It's not a hurricane, it's just a tropical storm."
                          "They said on the news that it will miss Oahu."
                          "I'm not prepared at all; I hope it doesn't hit."
                          "My brother-in-law works for the Navy. He said not to worry."

Da Nile is not just a river in Egypt....

Comment

Originally posted by Tiabla View Post
                            My friends and family are taking this storm seriously, but at work it's a different story. So far this morning I've heard:

"It's not a hurricane, it's just a tropical storm."
                            "They said on the news that it will miss Oahu."
                            "I'm not prepared at all; I hope it doesn't hit."
                            "My brother-in-law works for the Navy. He said not to worry."

Da Nile is not just a river in Egypt....
                            It's disappointing to hear that even after all of the natual disasters the world has been through that there's still this "colony" of people whom rely on the coconut wireless rather than do some research themselves, the information is available! If it doesn't hit, great...prepare for the next, 'tis the season, but let's not dig a hole in the ground and stick our heads in there...now a days you can DIGG!

To our HT family and friends, to our communities-at-large; be safe, be smart, be first!
                            ___
                            "Be god to each other."

Comment

Fear not fellow HT brothers & sisters! The Fat Jeff clan is prepared for this storm...that alone virtually guarantees that it will not come anywhere close to us!

P.S. Was nice seeing so many neighbors at Sam's Club this morning

Comment

DOE hasn't officially announced it yet, but my (((sources))) tell me that B.I. schools will most likely be closed tomorrow.

*sigh*

gonna leave work early today and batten down the hatches...

pax

Comment

Working...
                                X