"Lost" Season 2 Chapter 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: "Lost" Season 2 Chapter 2

Well, as I said to you on email, it makes sense that this site is still there. If this is where the season ends it surely makes sense that Season 3 will also begin there so it makes no sense to take down the set.

From all that I hear from the folks who have emailed me the LOST security is there but not all that tough. Apparently even if you show up at the set up at Police Beach they hold you back a bit but still they let you see a lot of what's going on.

I think the producers/directors of LOST understand that they have to be a little more accepting of kama`aina's as part of the aloha spirit. Also, working at About.com, the folks that do our TV sites have always had great cooperation from all of the folks involved with LOST.

John

Comment

I think as Hawaii treats "LOST" well, "LOST" treats Hawaii well. Even with fans like me stalking sets (and the occasional burglar), for the most part I think the cast and crew of "LOST" know they're lucky to be away from the hustle and bustle of Hollywood and L.A.

Sure they'll get stopped on the street for an autograph and a freelance photographer will follow them as they walk down the beach, but at least there ain't scores of paparazzi to beat back or, really, much of a requirement for heavy security everywhere they go.

I'm glad they're here. I'd be a fan of the show even if they weren't, I think, but since they are, I'm occasionally able to share incredible things like this.

That's the link to my photos from the Makapuu location. If you don't want to see anything you haven't seen on screen yet, don't click. But I think you'll find it difficult to resist!

Comment

Dang...those are great photos, PZ. I'm amazed security was that, ummm, tolerant!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
          Dang...those are great photos, PZ. I'm amazed security was that, ummm, tolerant!
          Me, too. Especially because I nearly killed myself trying to be all sneaky.

Seeing the guard posted at the front, I figured I'd take the trail up to the point (the "Dave" jumping-off spot, and what a view it was!) and come down the other side. It would be safe to say I badly underestimated the slope, distance, and the terrain! While I used to be an avid hiker, those days were long past and I was doing this in slippers and without any supplies. About halfway down, I was already having visions of an embarrassing rescue, and practicing the line, "Sorry, yes, I am a total dumbass."

And wouldn't you know it, after switching back and forth and making my graceless way down (I fell on my butt more than a few times), I ended up about twenty feet from the security guard anyway.

But he looked up, saw me, and looked away. And I saw another guy with a camera inside the set area taking pictures. So I waved at him, and walked past the security guard to introduce myself. We had a nice chat (his name was Scott, and he was a sports photographer), and after he headed off, I wandered around. There were, in fact, a bunch of teenagers in the area, jumping off the rocks into the ocean. They didn't seem impressed by the set at all.

So, I took my photos, and a few video clips, and headed out. The security guard waved and said, "Take care!"

I'd have saved myself 90 minutes of terror, embarrassment, and scratches and scrapes had I just walked in the front door. But I was still glad to have seen it all. I couldn't wait to get back and share it with the various "LOST" message boards.

As John said, "LOST" security is generally not very confrontational. (I can remember getting yelled at only once, and oddly enough, it was at a downtown shoot where I definitely had the right to be on the opposite sidewalk.) In part it's probably the local way, and I think in this case (and the Police Beach case), it's also because they probably can't technically stop anyone from walking along the beach -- PASH and all that.

Comment

One thing that shocks me about the photos is that it appears the actually built that door in the lava rock which I always thought was a no-no. This is a pretty undisturbed area of Oahu and I'm surprised the state let them actually dig into the natural rock formations to install a door.

John

Comment

I don't know if anybody's ever camped at Friends of Malaekahana park (as opposed to Malaekahana State Recreation Area), but the huts in the recently linked photos have the same silhouette as the yurts that are available as rental accommodations.

Great job, you intrepid fan-photogs, you!

fyi, per dictionary.com
              yurt
              n : a circular domed dwelling that is portable and self-supporting; originally used by nomadic Mongol and Turkic people of central Asia but now used as inexpensive alternative or temporary housing

Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University
              I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Just to offer a diversion in the current Lost locations items... this is something you might want to save up for... the Lost Season 2 DVD set is to be released on....

October 3!

At least according to the site information listed below:

Lost: The Complete Second Season

This sizzling 7-disc DVD box set will include all 24 episodes of season two, each presented in 1.78:1 Enhanced Anamorphic Widescreen with English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround audio tracks. Expect over 8 Hours of bonus materials including an on location featurette, lost flashbacks, secrets of the hatch, bloopers and much more. Lost: The Complete Second Season (The Extended Experience) will be available to own when it hits store shelves October 3, 2006.
                I am not familiar with the moviesonline site, but I think it could be a Canadian release date. I checked Amazon.com and they have the DVD cover art up but no release date listed.

Lost: The Complete Second Season (Amazon.com link)

That said the moviesonline site has screenshots of the DVD's menu screens.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Oh thank god they changed the box art

The temporary one was just horrible. But the rusty color makes me think of Silent Hill, heh.
                  myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                    Just to offer a diversion in the current Lost locations items... this is something you might want to save up for... the Lost Season 2 DVD set is to be released on.... October 3!
                    I would have thought that with the declining ratings during Season 2 (due in large part to ABC's rerun schedule and competition from American Idol) that ABC would have wanted this released earlier so that folks could "catch up" before Season 3 begins which is likely to be very close to October 3.

I guess the delays in filming the final episodes of Season 2 due to the bad weather also resulted in the DVD release being pushed back.

John

Comment

Originally posted by fisch1
                      One thing that shocks me about the photos is that it appears the actually built that door in the lava rock which I always thought was a no-no. This is a pretty undisturbed area of Oahu and I'm surprised the state let them actually dig into the natural rock formations to install a door.
                      This is over at the Makapu'u cliffs, right? If memory serves me, there are a handful of old abandoned military observation bunkers in the area that were constructed immediately after the Pearl Harbor attack. I'd guess that they just did a cosmetic retrofit of one of them. PZ, how does that sound to you?

Comment

For PZ and you other folks who want to know when/where they're filming -- be advised that the last day of filming is tomorrow (5/9/06) and then they don't resume until late July or early August.
                        Just a 'heads up' for ya...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

And now, some possible spoilers from upcoming episodes from an extra on the set.

Don't click this if you don't want to know.

Interesting.

Comment

Does anyone know how one becomes an extra on Lost?
                            Arturo

Comment

Originally posted by arturo_h
                              Does anyone know how one becomes an extra on Lost?
                              Arturo
                              From honolulu craigslist 5/5/06 Jobs posting...(not sure how legit is)

Reply to: job-157879279@craigslist.org
                              Date: 2006-05-05, 10:05AM HST

I think you may know what show this is for.

Email resume, headshot and acting background if any.

Job location is Hawaii

Compensation: $50 a day

Comment

That is terrible pay. I thought extra's made way more than that!!

KalihiBoy

Comment

Working...
                                X