Tsunami Watch - Hawaii for March 11, 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tsunami Watch - Hawaii for March 11, 2011

Anyone else less than impressed by the Skype reports that KHON is using? It almost seems that instead of having a camera crew, they have resorted to blurry, skippy Skype pictures. So does Skype represent a big improvement in "technology", or a big budget cut?
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

HawaiiNewsNow is showing a view from a traffic camera around the Kalakaua and Kapahulu. During the 2nd surge a person was riding a bike close to the shore.

Another view from Diamond Head shows a reef being exposed.

Comment

I know I'm not a frequent poster, but I do read here quite a bit, and just wanted to let you all know you're in my thoughts.
        Peace, Love, and BBQ!

Comment

Damage reports starting to come in. Sounds like Maui and the Big Island may have had the worst. One sensor south of Kona is 100' inland from the beach and recorded 12' of water.
          Sunrise in about half an hour, at 6:44am, and we'll find out a lot more. You folks on the mainland should check updates on the Star-Advertiser website.
          HawaiiNewsNow just reported that "La Mariana is gone." They were kind of implying that it's the La Mariana Sailing Club restaurant that's gone, but I think the reality will be that many of the boat docks broke up in front of it there in Keehi Lagoon. I can't see why the restaurant would be gone.
          Possible damage in Haleiwa and Waianae harbors too. Reports of boats washed up onto dry land.
          All state and city offices will be closed today, as will most schools.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            Damage reports starting to come in. Sounds like Maui and the Big Island may have had the worst. One sensor south of Kona is 100' inland from the beach and recorded 12' of water.
            Twelve feet of water?!? Holy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              Twelve feet of water?!? Holy crap.
              Yep, 12 feet. And it's important for everyone to remember that it's not a 12' wave, it was a 12' rise in the surface of the ocean. Followed by a 12' drop in the ocean surface. So it's actually a 24' change.
              We had 8' rises here on Oahu, or a 16' surface change.
              More and more reports of damage are coming in now that sun is up. Surges are still happening.
              No answer yet about La Mariana Sailing Club. Some of the docks there, which have long been in horrible condition, have completely broken loose and are surging back and forth in Keehi Lagoon, some of them with 30 or 40 boats still attached.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Half a mil in damages estimated at La Mariana, with at least 3 docks completely destroyed, some floating around with boats attached, many boats sunk and more in danger. No real damage to the club, but financially it might be a problem, I guess insurance will cover most... I'm nearby and would go take some pix but with no bus service this morning and a fractured foot I've already walked way enuf miles. Doesn't anybody pick up hitchhikers any more?
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Looks like Hawaii Civil Defense should install some beachside webcams on the neighbor islands so conditions can be monitored during evacuations.
                  Burl Burlingame
                  "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                  honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjCV182S5y4

you tube link for a time lapse of kona town seawall.
                    the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

Umm, Is it just me, or is it really quiet out today?
                      ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

It does seem really quiet here but in a good way, I think. Maybe people are tired from last night and relieved that it wasn't really bad here and so are just recovering?

Comment

Took a quick nap before the 3am event and had some sleep between the 5 am to 10 am time frame (with the TV on all the time). All I remember is waking up to The Price is Right.

Werid thing was that the Honolulu Star Advertiser being deilvered at my door at 4am. I would have suspect it to be delayed until the daylight hours with a special edition with this morning's events.

Comment

Originally posted by KeleiGrrrl View Post
                            I know I'm not a frequent poster, but I do read here quite a bit, and just wanted to let you all know you're in my thoughts.
                            Thanks for your concern! Glad we were spared what hit Japan.
                            "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                            "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                            "
                            Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                              Umm, Is it just me, or is it really quiet out today?
                              People are sleeping?!

Comment

Thanks for your concern! Glad we were spared what hit Japan.
                                I know. I just can't stop thinking about them and feeling so helpless. And sure, I can donate money, but times like this I also want to be able to help with my own two hands as well. I just can't begin to fathom this kind of epic devastation.
                                Peace, Love, and BBQ!

Comment

Working...
                                X