Clear All

• Star Bull buys Advertiser

didn't see this one coming:

http://www.starbulletin.com/news/bulletin/85438317.html

Star-Bulletin bought the Advertiser!!!

Amazing breaking news at this link:

Star-Bulletin to acquire Advertiser

POSTED: 04:14 p.m. HST, Feb 25, 2010

The owner of the Honolulu Star-Bulletin is acquiring the Honolulu Advertiser.
    The agreement was announced this afternoon by Oahu Publications Inc., which owns the Star-Bulletin, MidWeek and other weekly newspapers and magazines, and Gannett Co., owner of the Advertiser. Oahu Publications also will get related assets in addition to the Advertiser, including its website, non-daily publications and Gannett's interest in Hawaii.com. It does not include The Advertiser's office building at 605 Kapiolani Blvd.
    "We are pleased to be able to purchase The Advertiser, a strong and excellent newspaper," said David Black, chairman of Oahu Publications. "We will endeavor to continue the tradition of good Hawaii newspaper stewardship as exemplified in modern times by Twigg Smith and Gannett."
    The deal, subject to regulatory and other approvals, is expected to close during the second quarter. Financial terms were not disclosed.
    Because the Star-Bulletin and Advertiser are daily newspaper competitors, Oahu Publications has discussed the transaction with the U.S. Justice Department and Hawaii's attorney general.
    Bob Dickey, president of Gannett's U.S. Community Publishing, said, "We have been very pleased and proud to be part of the Hawaii journalism community all these years but felt OPI's offer to buy The Advertiser and its related assets was the right course for Gannett at this time."
    He added: "We greatly appreciate all of the hard work and contributions our employees have made and know that they will continue to do a terrific job serving this market in the years to come."
    (...)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Re: Star-Bulletin bought the Advertiser!!!

Someone pick my jaw up off the floor for me. I can't move.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I'm dumbfounded!!

Comment

What a shocker! I can't even begin to think what this means.

Comment

Turnabout is fair play.

k.
            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
            ~ ~
            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Will be eager to hear what Erika and Buzz have to say.

Comment

Re: Star Bull buys Advertiser

I don't think anyone did.

Comment

Re: Star Bull buys Advertiser

i had to laugh when i read about it. all the hoo-hah a few years ago about the SB maybe going out of business and a lot of blame going to the Advertiser for the whole situation - is this what might be called ironic? or at least kharmic?
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Well, this is one way for SB to regain access to their photo archives. I wonder which HonAdv execs will get a golden parachute.
                    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                    "
                    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

More than likely we will be left being just another one paper town.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

What's next?
                        Go Airlines buys Hawaiian Air.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                          More than likely we will be left being just another one paper town.
                          KITV says that Black will try to sell the Star-Bulletin but that if it doesn't sell within two months he'll just merge the two operations under the Advertiser banner.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                            KITV says that Black will try to sell the Star-Bulletin but that if it doesn't sell within two months he'll just merge the two operations under the Advertiser banner.
                            I don't think anyone will want to buy a newspaper in these days when many people get their news from online media. I think we'll end up being a one paper town with whatever succeeds both the Advertiser and Star-Bulletin (one report indicated that a merged paper will get a new name)....
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Just an admin note here... merged 2 Star Bulletin buys Advertiser threads into this one thread. The separate threads were created just 2 minutes apart. Better to have them as one IMO.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X