Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oprah calling it quits in 2011!

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    If she resurfaces as the host of another program in the future, I'm willing to bet that it will be something quite different from the Oprah Winfrey Show that has become an institution on daytime TV, if ever there was one.
    I'd throw my money in with FM's thought; I suspect she'll be back with something else. 25 years of the daily grind is quite long enough. Perhaps she'll do something weekly, something along the Barbara Walters path.

Comment

I remember her when she was our morning talk show host in Chicago on "AM Chicago". When I was a kid Charlie Rose hosted it, then soon after Rob Weller did it for several years.

Around 1983-84 when I first saw Oprah I was not impressed and thought Weller was far more talented than her, he went on to do Entertainment Tonight and I thought he would do even more bigger and brighter things (he's since became a successful producer).

So Oprah comes along and back then Phil Donahue ran that town, but Phil left for NYC so Oprah kind of took Chicago in her grasp and made it her town.

Little did I know this person who I was initially not impressed with whatsoever would become a person that is known worldwide for just her first name, Oprah. And when you are known throughout the world with just your first name you are an icon.

Oprah could have hung on for a few more years and surpassed Phil Donahue with the longest running syndicated talk show. Now Phil will probably hold that record forever.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
        Little did I know this person who I was initially not impressed with whatsoever would become a person that is known worldwide for just her first name, Oprah. And when you are known throughout the world with just your first name you are an icon.
        Well, it sure helps when there are no other celebrities with the same first name.

Oprah could have hung on for a few more years and surpassed Phil Donahue with the longest running syndicated talk show.
        The record for talkshow longevity was her's for the taking, if she wanted it. But the rumors were that continuing to host her syndicated show would have put her joint venture deal with Discovery Communications (her 50/50 partner in the Oprah Winfrey Network) in jeopardy.

The rumor has merit. If Discovery is going to give Oprah a 50% stake in the new network, then they have every right to expect her to devote fulltime attention and energy into building up the success of this ambitious project, instead of having her work time divided between her syndicated talk show and her cable network.

Besides, there's no getting around the fact that a syndicated Oprah Winfrey Show will end up competing for ratings against the Oprah Winfrey Network.

It looks like Oprah has her eye on the bigger prize.

Now Phil will probably hold that record forever.
        Oh, I wouldn't bet the house on that just yet. Live with Regis & Kathie Lee/Kelly has been on syndication for 21 years, and its still going strong. Another syndicated show within striking distance of the record is the Jerry Springer Show, which is now in its 18th year.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Oprah's ratings have declined from 12.6 million in 1991-92 to 6.2 million in 2008-2009. She dropped 7% in the ratings in the last two seasons. Regis & Kelly have dropped in similiar numbers and Jerry Springer and Maury have dropped in double digits too. I wonder if the talk show era is fading away as we know it.

Regis is getting up there in age, he'll be 80 in two years. If he stays healthy and the ratings stay steady he *might* catch Phil.

My favorite talk shows were Mike Douglas, Merv Griffin, Phil Donahue (who I admit was stale and boring in his final years).

Aj

Comment

My favorite talk shows were Mike Douglas, Merv Griffin, Phil Donahue (who I admit was stale and boring in his final years).
            Do you differentiate between daytime and late-night talk shows? 'Cause my favorites were all after dark: David Letterman first. By a mile. Then Later with Bob Costas, Late Night with Conan, The Aresenio Hall Show (which I believe I would find unwatchable today), and The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
              Do you differentiate between daytime and late-night talk shows? 'Cause my favorites were all after dark: David Letterman first. By a mile. Then Later with Bob Costas, Late Night with Conan, The Aresenio Hall Show (which I believe I would find unwatchable today), and The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson.
              I thought about this too. I don't know how you correctly differentiate the two other than stating one is daytime and one is late night. If we are going that way then Tom Snyder and Johnny Carson win hands down, Dick Cavett is in there too. I havent seen enough Joey Bishop Shows (Regis was his sidekick), but what little I have seen I liked.

Back in the day I really enjoyed Arsenio, and agree I'm not sure if I would be enthralled with it in this era, of course we're all older and have matured since then too, I hope!

Aj

Comment

If we are going that way then Tom Snyder and Johnny Carson win hands down, Dick Cavett is in there too.
                I'm with you there, but I am old enough to add some Jack Paar into the mix.

Comment

Steve Allen was my all time favorite. There are about 5 of us on HT who remember that name! So talented, that man.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    Steve Allen was my all time favorite. There are about 5 of us on HT who remember that name! So talented, that man.
                    We should move some of these dicussions to a talk show thread...

I remember Steve quite well, the original Tonight Show host. Can you believe he, Jack Paar and Johnny Carson all died in recent years.

I liked Paar too and remember he had a late night talk show that I think replaced Dick Cavett's show on ABC, it didnt last very long.

is Steve Allen's widow still living, was it Jane or Audrey Meadows?

Aj

Comment

Back to Dick Cavett, he could have Cass Elliott or John Lennon on one show, the next day he could have Senator Inouye on the show, which he did discussing Watergate with other Senators at the time. He had some of the most eclectic guests on each show and I think that is what he liked to do bring people on with diverse backgrounds to create interesting dscussions and he was very successful doing just that.

Aj

Comment

Well, enuf of Oprah..., let's hear it for Joe Pyne!

Does anybody remember an evening LA roundtable discussion show from the 1960 era called The Bitter End? They had a regular stable of 4 panelists that covered daily fare, and were quite the characters. One rotund fellow always chomped a stogie and hawked furs, and another did suits (Ed Nalbandian for Zachery All 'on the Miracle Mile'). Never trusted the fat guy!
                        Seem's Korla Pandit, the spooky turbaned organist that never spoke, was in the mix as well, maybe he came on just after...

Funky stuff, but some of the best TV in a weird way.
                        Last edited by Ron Whitfield; November 21, 2009, 03:45 PM.
                        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Back on topic...
                          Losing Winfrey would be big blow for Second City

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                            Oh it is a big economic blow if she pulls out of Chicago and that would end a long run of successful talk shows taped in the city (Phil Donahue, Oprah, Jerry Springer).

In case you are wondering, Jerry pulled out of Chicago earlier this year:

http://www.nbcchicago.com/entertainm...-Springer.html

Comment

In case you are wondering, Jerry pulled out of Chicago earlier this year:
                              A frustrated Chicago did received the check Jerry Springer wrote for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                                A frustrated Chicago did received the check Jerry Springer wrote for them.
                                My tastes and attitude has changed over the years when it was first on the air I watched it all the time, I also liked the late Morton Downey Jr.'s show as well. And now looking back, I can't believe I watched those shows at all.

Aj

Comment

Working...
                                X