Aol dinosaur

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aol dinosaur

Well it has finally happened. I have become a confirmed email-dinosaur. The revelation came today when I needed to give my email address to a secretary at a large mainland company during a phone conversation.

"DahDah@aol.com", I said.
    The secretary replied, "Ok, that is DahDah at ..... what?"
    Me: Aol.com
    Her: A....
    Me: Aol
    Her: Aol??
    Me: Yes, Aol.com. Just ask someone who was born before 1980.
    Her: Hum, I've never heard of that.

I almost feel old.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Re: Aol dinosaur

I still have an AOL email account. Hardly ever use it, but login on occasion just to keep it alive.

So today I went to check and I only got 3 emails among one was this from last month:

Dear AIM user,

We see that you've used AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) in the past, so we wanted to let you know that AIM will be discontinued and will no longer work as of December 15, 2017.

Before December 15, you can continue to use the service. After December 15, you will no longer have access to AIM and your data will be deleted. If you use an @aim.com email address, your email account will not be affected and you will still be able to send and receive email as usual.

We've loved working on AIM for you. From setting the perfect away message to that familiar ring of an incoming chat, AIM will always have a special place in our hearts. As we move forward, all of us at AOL (now Oath) are excited to continue building the next generation of iconic brands and life-changing products for users around the world.

You can visit our FAQ to learn more. Thank you for being an AIM user.

Sincerely,
    The AOL Instant Messenger team
    Can't even remember the last time I used AOL messenger. Not really a big fan of instant messenging in the first place.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Yeah, I got that AIM message awhile ago, also. MY IMing is done nowadays on FB, I don't even know anyone who has AIM anymore.

AOL also did some housekeeping a few months ago by clearing out all emails from accounts that were not active. They didn't close the accounts, but they deleted all the emails. They left alone the active accounts.

Comment

Yep the few times I do messaging it is on Facebook or more often on Google Voice or just straight SMS on the mobile device.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I have an friend that is in her 80's. She does email, and AOL IM, and phone calls, but that is all. (No texting, no FB, etc).
          I thought I'd see if I could catch her online today in IM, but it seems that AOL has already removed IMing (it was supposed to be tomorrow).

Goodbye IM, now I won't have "live-time online contact" with my friend anymore. Good thing there is the phone.

Comment

I literally use AOL only if I need to give my email address to someone I don’t really know or trust. I vaguely remember that letter sunsetting AIM. Unlike mel, I actually AM a huge IM fan. Even more then mel is a Natalie Iwasa fan.

My fave was MSN Messenger. That got discontinued a long time ago. That’s when I called it quits across the board. I do use Facebook messenger. I don’t buy into all that hype about “oh they’re going to sell your data.” News flash: ALL companies sell your data. Just read the fine print of any EULA agreement. By using their product, you AGREE to it! Shame on you.

That being said, AOL as a company seems like a dinosaur. Seems like decades ago that the company started in the basement of local boy Steve Case.

Wait...

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
            X