Slumdog Millionaire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slumdog Millionaire

I have a friend who has a penchanet for watching movies that are nominated for Best Picture. Just by luck we saw two of them on Christmas day so today we will heading off to Dole to watch Slumdog Millionaire. Since no thread exist for this movie, might as well start it now and hopefully anyone who has already seen this can add to this thread.

Re: Slumdog Millionaire

I recommend it.

Comment

I loved it. I've always had an interest in India and try to see Indian films when I can. (Yes I know this film is considered a British film). Before seeing it, I realized there was a bit of "hype" about it (I hate that word) so I didn't see it right away, but when i did, I was very impressed. There is violence and parts that are not happy (the trailers make me think it was a sweet love story set after winning "Who wants to be a millionaire"). This film also somewhat makes me remember a film years ago titled "Salaam Bombay" that came out in the late 80s or so.

Every few years or more there is one foreign language film that sweeps the oscars and is "the" international film that gets a lot of attention. Sort of makes me remember when "Like Water for Chocolate" had a similar attention given to it years ago or "Life is Beautiful".

Im all for this film or "Milk" winning Best Picture.
      n'importe

Comment

I enjoyed it. Predictable, but definitely NOT your typical Bollywood flick full of melodramatic, colorful singing and dancing. There's one scene that still freaks me out every time I think about it.

Comment

Good but not great.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
            I enjoyed it. Predictable, but definitely NOT your typical Bollywood flick full of melodramatic, colorful singing and dancing. There's one scene that still freaks me out every time I think about it.
            The "eye" deal?

Comment

Oh. I was thinking the outhouse.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

The outhouse scene was the funny part of this movie, lucky we had finished eating our snack by the time it was shown.

Comment

Much much better than I had expected.

Predictable but very different from whats out there now in the theaters.

That outhouse scene and that kid cracked me up.

Aloha

Comment

It was kind of predictable but it had a very interesting plot and was entertaining. I really liked it overall.
                    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

I really liked it. I didn't want to see it at first because of all the hoopla going on about it and I didn't wanna be, u kno mainstream. but then, I finally saw it and i'm glad i did. .....And the "eye" deal freaked me out too!

Comment

As terrible as some of the attrocities depicted in this film, what's far more tragic are the reports that the father of child actress Rubina Ali tried to sell his daughter for $400,000 to an undercover cop.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...BQmIAD97MFOEG0
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                          As terrible as some of the attrocities depicted in this film, what's far more tragic are the reports that the father of child actress Rubina Ali tried to sell his daughter for $400,000 to an undercover cop.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...BQmIAD97MFOEG0
                          $400,000? He could make more just managing/exploiting her, American-Hollywood "Lindsey Lohan" style.
                          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

This movie did not stir or move me in any way. It was eminently predictable IMHO, and over-rated by the media proponents.

I didn't really pay attention to things like directing or cinematography, I wanted to get something out of the story - and the story was too pedestrian. Perhaps it had some good qualities that I overlooked, or perhaps the approval it receives is merely trendiness.

On IMDb there's quite a divided discussion about it, for those who are interested. I don't pretend to be a professional movie critic.

BTW, I didn't like "Titanic" either - another movie that got numerous award nominations.
                            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                            ~ ~
                            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                              This movie did not stir or move me in any way. It was eminently predictable IMHO, and over-rated by the media proponents.

I didn't really pay attention to things like directing or cinematography, I wanted to get something out of the story - and the story was too pedestrian. Perhaps it had some good qualities that I overlooked, or perhaps the approval it receives is merely trendiness.

On IMDb there's quite a divided discussion about it, for those who are interested. I don't pretend to be a professional movie critic.

BTW, I didn't like "Titanic" either - another movie that got numerous award nominations.
                              It's way better than the unoriginal inundation of remakes that we've seen in the past few years coming out of Hollywood.

I'll kill myself if the remake of "Footloose" makes more money than the old one.
                              Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X