Kress Store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kress Store

I found a brand new unopened pack of tube socks my dad bought from Kress. 25 cents. He got before they went out of business.

I think Kress was on Fort Street Mall?

Anyone remember? Refresh my memory where it was exactly. By Mc Donalds? Or where HPU is?

I'm sure downtown has changed alot since....but still.

Re: Kress Store

Originally posted by cabanalane View Post
    I found a brand new unopened pack of tube socks my dad bought from Kress. 25 cents. He got before they went out of business.

I think Kress was on Fort Street Mall?

Anyone remember? Refresh my memory where it was exactly. By Mc Donalds? Or where HPU is?

I'm sure downtown has changed alot since....but still.
    Across from where Music Box Records to be, and the okazu. There used to be an Arby's next door too.

Comment

Originally posted by johmbolaya View Post
      Across from where Music Box Records to be, and the okazu. There used to be an Arby's next door too.
      Music Box Records.... So it's not on Fort Street, but Union Street? So just before where the First Hawaii bank building is?

Comment

You could walk right through Kress from Pauahi to the Union Mall. I loved walking in barefeet on the cool flooring in Kress.
        Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

I'm sure I've been in the store. But I was too young to remember anything, other than the location.

Were there other Kress stores on Oahu?

What kind of store was Kress like today. Kind of like a Longs or (mini) Walmart/Target? Maybe what Woolworth used to be?

I'm not sure why, but I'm not opening this package of tube socks. Kind of like keeping a piece of "old" Hawaii.

Comment

I remember the Kress store downtown. Also, some of the other old stores: Ritz, Woolworth's, Liberty House, Hartfields, McInerny's. This was back in the dinosaur days.

Comment

Originally posted by btwnc2c View Post
              I remember the Kress store downtown. Also, some of the other old stores: Ritz, Woolworth's, Liberty House, Hartfields, McInerny's. This was back in the dinosaur days.
              I remember every store on your list Except I have a hard time picturing Ritz and Hartfields. Where were they and what did they sell? Share what you remember.

Comment

I remember every store on your list Except I have a hard time picturing Ritz and Hartfields. Where were they and what did they sell? Share what you remember.
                Ritz was couple doors up from Kress. Hartfields (a low-end women's clothing store) was next to a women's shoe store (Leed's?) that was on the corner (directly across the street from Woolworth's) and just before Liberty House. Great directions, huh? I've forgotten names of streets or where they're at and how they run...been gone too long.

Comment

Originally posted by btwnc2c View Post
                  Ritz was couple doors up from Kress. Hartfields (a low-end women's clothing store) was next to a women's shoe store (Leed's?)
                  I think we can go on and on about stores that used to be around. How times have changed.

Comment

There was also a small KRESS in the Kamehameha Shopping Center on School Street between the present-day Long's and Star Market. It was managed by a former neighbor who also managed the Maui ans Hilo KRESS stores.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                      There was also a small KRESS in the Kamehameha Shopping Center on School Street between the present-day Long's and Star Market. It was managed by a former neighbor who also managed the Maui ans Hilo KRESS stores.
                      Kress was around until the mid 80's, it's where Blockbuster Video is now I think. Swear I saw a Kress store in Vegas a couple years back.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                        Swear I saw a Kress store in Vegas a couple years back.
                        Isn't Kress a national chain of department stores. I don't know if the rest of the stores around the country are still around or not.

I'm sure I've been in the store. But I was too young to remember anything, other than the location.

Were there other Kress stores on Oahu?

What kind of store was Kress like today. Kind of like a Longs or (mini) Walmart/Target? Maybe what Woolworth used to be?
                        Lihue had a Kress store on Rice Street, the building is still there the last time I was there in 2006. Hilo had one in their downtown area and either moved or openned a second location in the Kaiko Mall.

I don't remember going to a Kress store when I arrived on Oahu in 1979.

As far as what kind of store Kress was, it was a department store, like Woolworths or Walmart (without the groceries).

Comment

From Wikipedia:

"S. H. Kress & Co. was the trading name of a chain of "five and dime" retail department stores in the United States, which operated from 1896 to 1981...

...The Kress chain was known for the fine architecture of the stores, with a number of locations being hailed by architects for their design. A number of former Kress stores, now put to other uses, are ranked as landmarks..."
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kress_Stores

The last time I was in Hilo, the building still carried the "Kress" name, although it had been converted into a 4-screen theatre. You can see a picture with some of the architectural detail here:
                          http://gohawaii.about.com/library/gallery/blhilo_57.htm

As a kid growing up in Wahiawa, there were three "five & dime" stores back then: Castner's, Cornet's, and Kress. The Kress store was located in the Wahiawa Shopping Center, next to Foodland.

It's been fun reminiscing, thanks for the trip down cabana"memory"lane!
                          To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                            Swear I saw a Kress store in Vegas a couple years back.Aj
                            Really, where was that at? Been coming out to Vegas since late 60's () and living here now for several years. Just curious as to where part of the Valley it was located.

Comment

There was a Kress store in Kailua. Next to Liberty House, on the Texaco Station side.
                              "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
                              Ayn Rand

Comment

Working...
                              X