Thief in Kailua!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thief in Kailua!

I am DISGUSTED!!! My bf came home today with a story that makes me soo mad, I have to post it here!! A bum broke into his car to steal a PILLOW and a box of CRACKERS and then nonchalantly sat around 15 feet away with the stuff!! WTF!! Here is the story, typed by bf...

so i had one of those safeway bags with a pillow and a bottle of water and some crackers in it because i had to go to this trade show and sit on a hard plastic chair all day, and i left it in the passenger seat when i parked my car right outside of my work in kailua town by longs this morning for like an hour, and when i came out my bag was gone. from my car. like who would steal that, right? and there's security guards around who write nasty little notes on our cars if we try to park all day outside work, so we have to go out and move our cars twice a day, that's a digression.

so i'm pulling out to head to town and there's this bum that hangs out by the goodwill like every day, i think he sleeps there, and thers's my pillow and my box of crackers discarded by the goodwill, and my bag on top of his shopping cart full of bottles with his stuff in it. so i start yelling at this guy, and he starts rambling on about how some other guy, "the guy on the bike", took the stuff and how he wouldn't do that, and that the guy on the bike stole his money too. i'm like, whatever dude, just give me back my sh!t. i mean these guys are hanging out there all day and i don't begrudge them their choice to live on the streets turning in cans for money to buy malt liquor at 8 am, i have even given them empty cans and change, but they've been getting brazen, coming up and demanding change and now stealing stuff that's obviously not theirs, out of my vehicle, that's bullsh!t.

i know times are tough, and i don't want to beat up on the homeless, but when they start taking stuff, thats crossing a line. i mean, especially taking something that they don't need, but obviously someone else has a use for, like cushioning my a$$ while i'm actually out WORKING, and then tossing it aside. WTF?
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Re: Thief in Kailua!

And he didn't call the police about it?

Comment

From my sweet bf -

it was eight in the morning and i had to go to work. is a cop gonna arrest some bum for stealing crackers? basically, i didn't have the time, and so it goes. i guess the posting was just to let people know to be careful. i mean, i don't leave my camera or laptop on the front seat of my parked car, but i don't usually worry about a twelve pack of soda or a half eaten box of crackers. or even my swim trunks and towel, i mean, who would steal that? i suppose, i might lock it in the trunk in waianae, but kailua, outside the longs?

Comment

Hmmmm, I notice no mention of broken window or busted lock. That would aggravate me more than anything - and yes, I think the damage would make it worth calling the police.

So.... how did he break into the car?

Comment

My sweetie never locks his car, because it might invite a broken window, so if he has anything valuable it goes into the locked trunk. I guess the thief either opened the door or reached in the window? I'll ask the bf.

The immature side of me wants to go down and confront that thieving bum, and yell at him for awhile, punctuated by pushing his stupid shopping cart over. Seriously - from now on whenever I see that guy I'm going to start yelling "thief!! this jerk steals!!" and pointing at him! After a few days of that he'll likely find a new parking lot to roost in.

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
            The immature side of me wants to go down and confront that thieving bum, and yell at him for awhile, punctuated by pushing his stupid shopping cart over. Seriously - from now on whenever I see that guy I'm going to start yelling "thief!! this jerk steals!!" and pointing at him! After a few days of that he'll likely find a new parking lot to roost in.
            Or he might get mad and attack you. Think twice before you provoke him.

Comment

My sweetie never locks his car, because it might invite a broken window, so if he has anything valuable it goes into the locked trunk. I guess the thief either opened the door or reached in the window?
              I am kind of shocked to hear this. While I currently don't own a car, I have been living in this state for all of my life and one of things that has been drilled into me by various people (parents, police officers) is that you never leave your car unlocked.

Comment

From my sweet bf -

...i suppose, i might lock it in the trunk in waianae, but kailua, outside the longs?
                Now you know that Kailua is no better than Waianae, or Kalihi, or Waimanalo, or anywhere else on this island as far as theft is concerned.

Comment

punctuated by pushing his stupid shopping cart over.
                  This? Made me laugh, just because I can actually see you doing it. Not that I'm advocating it because the last thing you need is a mob of angry bums chasing you out of Kailua Town, but the picture in my head is really funny.

I'm sorry, S. It totally sucks that he stole the pillow for no reason at all. I'd be pissed too.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

"Oh the times they are a-changing..." B. Dylan

Upon my 1970's return to O`ahu, I learned quick things was not the same.
                    I bought a car, and within two months my registration stickers was peeled off and my spare tire and jack was missing from my trunk... in Kailua.
                    I bought a house in Kaneohe in 1988, and within two months (hmmm, is there some message here?), I was broken into (I was still hooking up my security system, it was half done), and before they triggered my motion-sensor alarm the burglars made off with my wedding ring and my grandfather's ring.

This was before all the homeless problems came to light, it was just the 'have-nots' taking from those of us who work to get ahead.

Since then I have made a point to get acquainted with this facet of our society. Some feed their need for drugs by stealing, because they are unable to work (i.e., function in society), or unwilling (slothful), or see theft as an 'easy' way to get by. Some know no other way except to take what they want to survive (learned culture), and see nothing wrong in it. Some feel they have no choice - they take what they need.

Others are just criminal opportunists, ready, willing and able to rip off anyone, any time.

Some of the thefts have hurt me personally, deeply. Others I just chalk up to "it's just 'stuff,' and people are more important than stuff."

Some of it is passed down from parent to child, in inadequate upbringing. Others are a result of a lack of love (my loving neighbor neglected his daughter, so she became a criminal).

Aloha, loving relationships, acceptance, forgiveness, an open heart and a helping hand - these need be administered early, to children, in the developmental stages, if we are to stop this trend in the islands. After a certain point, your efforts will be taken advantage of, and their contrite smiles will turn to sneers at your foolishness. I know, personally. My charity to the mother of 5 children who's father was killed, was used to buy drugs while the children were malnourished and neglected.

Of course we can't fix this. Not in our generation. All we can do is take part in changing our system to provide adequate cultural indoctrination for the young, and education on how to get what you need while not stealing from others.

The world has always had thieves - for whatever reasons. We cannot eliminate them; HPD is useless; we can only protect ourselves best we can while we lobby for gradual change.
                    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                    ~ ~
                    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

My sweetie never locks his car, because it might invite a broken window, so if he has anything valuable it goes into the locked trunk. I guess the thief either opened the door or reached in the window?
                      Stealing under any circumstances is never okay. But I think we all have to take precautions to not make ourselves an easy target for crime. Leaving your house/car unlocked in this day and age is just asking for trouble. Doesn't matter whether you live in Kailua, Kapahulu, or Kalihi.

I've had my car broken into, and it was locked, equipped with an alarm, and parked in a garage with an attendant in the booth and a security guard working on the premises. Even with all that, the thieves still managed to break in and take 2 briefcases (which fortunately didn't have anything valuable in it.) But it just goes to show how desperate some people are: they're willing to risk breaking into my car with an active alarm. Do you think those same folks would hesistate for a moment in trying their luck on an unlocked car? Even if you know there's nothing valuable in your car, the thieves don't and might damage your vehicle in the attempt to break into your locked compartments, glove box, or trunk in the chance that they might find something like money, an iPod, or anything else they can sell.
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

From the bf -

dude, you kind of make the point for me, the reason i don't lock my car is b/c in los angeles i had my car broken into twice, both times, nothing was taken, b/c i never leave anything of value inside the car, bur both time i still had to shell out big bucks to replace the broken window. by the way, neither window has ever worked properly since. and the second time, the doors weren't even locked, but the crook didn't even bother to check before breaking the window. for that reason, and also b/c i don't have working ac, on dry sunny days, i prefer to leave the windows open part way so the car doesn't get too hot. that said, the point here as that i again left NOTHING OF REAL VALUE in the car, just an old pillow that i'd prefer not to lose and a box of crackers, and the thief just discarded the stuff when he realized what it was. that's what bugs me, he didn't take an ipod, which would have been a stupid thing to leave in the car, and hawk it for drug money, he took something of no value to anybody but me, and then he just chucked it away on the ground.

Comment

From the bf -
                          the reason i don't lock my car is b/c in los angeles i had my car broken into twice, both times, nothing was taken, b/c i never leave anything of value inside the car, bur both time i still had to shell out big bucks to replace the broken window.
                          I agree that it's better to remove anything valuable and to leave the car unlocked, and for exactly the reason TG/BF just mentioned. And it's especially true for convertibles -- if you lock the doors, a thief will just slash through the convertible top to get inside, and that's more expensive to fix than a broken car window.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Perhaps that should change to "remove all items from inside the car and not lock the car". The thief didn't know that the stuff inside the car was not valueable to the owner, perhaps said thief noticed that the door lock knob was up and figured the owner forgot to lock the car door. Took the stuff inside of the car and then realized what was taken wasn't worth anything and just dumped the stuff on the ground.

Comment

if you leave your car unlocked, except for the trunk where you place your valuables - isn't it possible for a thief to simply reach inside & pop the trunk open? does a car's ignition need to be on to do that?

if not, it would seem to negate the idea of not locking the doors to prevent a broken window.
                              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                              X