Carvalho or Cravalho?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvalho or Cravalho?

When faced with the name Cravalho, most locals will probably think of former Maui mayor Elmer Cravalho. But there are also a lot of people who have the name Carvalho, too. Are they two variant spellings of the same original Portuguese name? Or are they really different names? And how do you pronounce that last part, anyway -- is it 'vall-ho' or is it 'vall-yo'?

Re: Carvalho or Cravalho?

Never noticed the difference in spelling before. For the most part I am usually with the Carvalho rather than the Cravalho. As far as the pronouncation I usually hear it as 'vall-yo' but that could be a regional thing too.

Comment

My husband is rather fond of this Carvalho. He loves him some Podagee mixed girls

I apologize ahead of time if that picture shows too much. I figure she's not showing anything more than I see everyday at the beach back home.
      Attached Files
      I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Re: Carvalho or Cravalho?

All of the Carvalhos I know pronounce it "cra-val-e-yo." Never encountered anyone who pronounced it phonetically.

Ole Elmer. Now that brings back some memories! At one time, people were seriously talking about him eventually being a gubernatorial candidate. But then came his sudden and totally unexpected resignation as Maui mayor in 1979, which came only a few months after he was re-elected. Cravalho later attempted a mayoral comeback, but failed. His tenure as both Maui Mayor and earlier, state Speaker of the House, was a very colorful one.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
        X