Moving to Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to Hawaii

Hey guys, my name is jeff and i will be moving to Maui in about a year. I am coming down in december hopefully to look around and to see what area of the island will be best for work and a place to live for us. I have a few questions maybe you can help me out.

right now i live in louisville, ky, its like the 14th largest city in the country and with that is violence, gangs, etc. Its not surprising to come home and here of a shooting on the news, so my first question is, are there any areas when visiting or looking for a place to move that I should be aware of, and I hear on lots of websites that there are people that get very upset of new comers to the island to to the crowding and i am not a very confrontational person so that concerns me and i do not want to have to worry about any local gangs or anything like that.. Its hawaii and i never thought of gangs being there its suppose to be a happy place, but in real life i want to be prepared.

Also i hear rumors there are no snakes there is this true?

I hear fire ants are bad is this true?

last two questions are just out of curiosity..

Nice to meet you guys by the way

Re: Moving to Hawaii

There are gangs every where:

http://archives.starbulletin.com/200...s/story08.html

Every place has their own flavor of customs and of crime.

Research the various "moving to..." threads here closely. The people that live in the different areas have given and will give you the truth, not some fantasy that will eventually turn into a nightmare for not being given realistic information.

Comment

is there any city you guys reccommend in maui?

Comment

Originally posted by jeffdmaples View Post
        .... its suppose to be a happy place, but in real life i want to be prepared.
        As Peshkwe recommended, check out the old threads on HT, you’ll find hours of reading about moving to Hawaii.

Everywhere you go in the U.S, you’ll most likely meet some form of prejudice. Hawaii is no exception. But what is surprising to some Caucasians (haoles) is that in Hawaii they are likely to be among those on the receiving end of it, which is often times quite reversed from what they’ve experienced where they came from. [You did not say you were white, but it is a leap in assumption I'm making.]

Your question about what specific cities …. well, where are you planning to work? What are your skills? That would make a huge difference in where to live. Which brings up if you have a job lined up or not? Or at least a big bankroll to see you through? Those sorts of points to consider can be found in the archives of HT.

Don't let me discourage you, but take advice to do some serious online research (and here at the HT archives is a good place to begin).
        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I hear fire ants are bad is this true
          nope, I haven't seen any fire ants. at least not the kinds I used to put up with when I lived in the southeast! come to think of it...I've been here over a year, and not one ant bite so far!

Welcome to HT and the islands! I don't have much info about Maui, but perhaps if you have more specific questions, we can get you some answers
          ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Also i hear rumors there are no snakes there is this true?I hear fire ants are bad is this true?
            Yes, there is one type of snake in Hawaii, see post #9 at:
            http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=16840

Yes, there are fire ants in Hawaii, to learn about them just goggle "fire ants in Hawaii".
            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

no i do not have a job lined up yet, i am in banking and my wife in insurance i also do sales. We plan on having 6 months worth of income saved up before we come down to provide enough time to find a job

Comment

I would suggest you start putting in resumes ASAP. In these tough economic times, the State of Hawaii is feeling the pinch in everyway. However, you may come across affordable living accomadations because heavy foreclosures day after day.
                Maui depends on the Visitor Industry, which has taken a big hit. Construction Industy has come to a halt.
                I`m not saying don`t come, but be prepared. Alot of Hawaii born residents moved to Las Vegas to start a new life only to move back to Hawaii because of the recession.
                And still alot more Hawaii residents have moved back to the Mainland because of Company closures.
                BUT, ALL IN ALL THIS IS STILL THE PLACE TO BE. LUCKY WE LIVE HAWAII...
                Now if these guys stop raising the taxes for everything, maybe we Can...
                bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

(...) so my first question is, are there any areas when visiting or looking for a place to move that I should be aware of, and I hear on lots of websites that there are people that get very upset of new comers to the island to to the crowding (...)
                  That's over-rated, really. If you come in with a 'colonialist' attitude (i.e., "this is America, do things MY way!" You will meet with resistance. But if you are warm, open-minded and willing to learn you will find people who will, most likely, take you under their wing.

On Maui I have friends that live up in the jungles North of Kahului/Wailuku area. When needed they can go into town, but the 'country' is nearby. They are very content there. I personally like up-country Maui, with the horse farms, cattle farms and the like.

Also i hear rumors there are no snakes there is this true?
                  Officially, yes. The blind snake mentioned in a previous post is Hawaii's "official" snake. However, numerous pet pythons and boas have escaped/been released, but no breeding population has been detected.

A breeding population of Eastern garter snakes has been established on O`ahu, and several sightings of the small and secretive ring-necked snake hint at the possibility of an established population. These are considered 'invasive' species, but because of their small impact on native species they are of little concern.

Several years ago, a corn snake was found on Kahekili Highway in Kaneohe, being picked at by chickens, dead. I have heard of no other "finds." Certainly there's nothing to fear. We also have the mongoose here, which would threaten any snake populations.

Nice to meet you guys by the way
                  Keep us posted!
                  Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                  ~ ~
                  Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                  Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                  Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

thank you guys for all the help

Comment

Jeff- Small world. I lived in KY, my family are still live there about 45 min from Louisville. I'm moving to Oahu in a few months (August). Keep in touch and I'll give you a KY perspective on moving to the islands.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestTransplant View Post
                        Small world. I lived in KY, my family are still live there about 45 min from Louisville. I'm moving to Oahu in a few months (August). Keep in touch and I'll give you a KY perspective on moving to the islands.
                        Hala.

You coming hea and my son going dea. I going be nicey to you.

Must be faith.

Once again, welcome to HT.

Auntie P.
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                        X