Growing Up In Hawai'i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Growing Up In Hawai'i

I consider myself unfathomably lucky to have grown up in Honolulu. Moss-sliding in drainage ditches, soccer, baseball and basketball teams, boogie boarding at Bellows on the weekends before I got older and started surfing and skating with friends. Poaching and gorging on mangoes in the summer. Spending most of my spare time on a ranch in Waimanalo (my sister rode horses, I did a lot of riding, too). Month-long campouts in a cabin past the Boy Scout camp in Pupukea and eating thousands of strawberry guavas and lilikoi.

Ah, the hanabata days. I had good ones.
    Don't be mean,
    try to help.

Comment

oh yeah, hanafuda. how could i forget? never was any good at it though.

and, picking guava and liliko'i in kaneohe so the grandma could make jams and jellies. going down to the drainage ditch and squishing tadpoles. gazillions of tadpoles and uka pile toads. ick!

sometimes the parents would send us off to hilo to stay with auntie and uncle. the cousins and the three of us would go to some golf course and "surf" on the grass with a piece of cardboard.

it's funny, when someone from honolulu goes to one of the outer islands, the locals can tell where you're from. somehow the pidgin is a little different.
      Last edited by kani-lehua; September 28, 2008, 07:26 PM.
      "chaos reigns within.
      reflect, repent and reboot.
      order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzvdllE45XEl - Engineer Bill
        www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki0yG-Ivero&feature=related - Sheriff John, have a hanky near
        www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO7Hc8Oq6Gs&feature=related - Chucko
        www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeJdMuOAZkw&feature=related - Paul Winchell & Jerry Mahoney

Having trouble correcting the top two. If your dying to see them, you know where to go.
        Cool vids of Soupy sales as well as other cool oldies in the 'similar videos' selector on the pages.
        Last edited by Ron Whitfield; September 28, 2008, 07:36 PM.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by HawaiiMama View Post
          [...]how many of you remember Tom Hatten, and a guy who had a cartoon show and his name was "Skipper Frank"? Loved him, too.[...]
          Tom Hatten had the Popeye cartoon show. He's still alive! Tom, that is...not sure about Popeye! Tom was an extremely talented, extremely nice guy. IIRC, Skipper Frank had a show on the same station. KTLA?

Comment

Re: Growing Up

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            He's still alive! Tom, that is...not sure about Popeye!
            Ahem. *cough* I'm right here. And I yam what I yam, Olive Oyl.
            And as you can see by my avatar, all that spinach made me younger and made me trade the pipe for the cigarettes.
            Bluto is still alive too, still offering to pay me Tuesday for a hamburger today.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

It's Wimpy, not Bluto who said "I gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today".

In any event, I grew up in Lihue during the 1960's to the mid 1970's. TV programs got aired here a week later. New movies got to Lihue months after it was released.

Lihue Airport only had one runway at the time. Planes had to fly over Kauai High School and Kauai Community College (at the time they were next door to one another, Kauai CC moved to Puhi in 1976) while landing.

The first set of stoplights on Rice Street in Lihue was setup around 1973 or so.

I can echo the situation with living next door to sugar cane fields. While it takes about 18 months for sugar cane to be harvested, the field behind our house was on a differnet growing schedule from the field across the street from us. And while the cane burning was an issue, the more major hassle was the cranes and cane trucks hauling the harvest into the wee hours of the night.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                Tom Hatten had the Popeye cartoon show. He's still alive! Tom, that is...not sure about Popeye! Tom was an extremely talented, extremely nice guy. IIRC, Skipper Frank had a show on the same station. KTLA?
                Yep, KTLA...channel 5! They were one of the "better" indie stations then...all the cheesy stuff was on KCOP 13!!!! HAHA!

I'd better shut up now--being from LA--guess we're just "growing up in Hawaii wanna-bes"....

Comment

What I really miss growing up den was the long weekend camp-out. Especially wen all the beach access we`re available,"not anymore!" The pineapple smell coming from the cannery. The Aloha and Hawaiian planes coming in for landing thru Wailuku. The old Fair grounds in Kahului, good fun day`s.
                  bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Lets see...I remember my sisters and I wandering the neighborhood behind Queens above the freeway, looking for seed pods to make seed leis, as well as toilet paper leis to give to the roller derby guys at the Civic - especially the Graham brothers. We were still in intermediate school but had crushes on them. We also used to go to KGMB to watch wrestling on Saturdays. When we moved to Kalihi, Mahalo Market was on the corner and we used to go there to by RC cola for 25 cents! And I remember when the McDonalds on Dillingham opened! We used to save our lunch money and buy a Big Mac that we split 3 ways.

Comment

Whoa, came back, and get plenty memories bring back .. even wrestling. Was a kid, still make me laugh 'Johnny Barand, and the Missing Link'. Still got their pics' and signatures. We all around the same age or what. So I guess we went to the Crater Festival up Diamond Head or the Surf Meets festivals at North Shore and Makaha or wen' they actually had FREE kanakapila's entertainment and just bring your coolers and mat. Anybody wen' dig fo' clams in Kaneohe, ono' yeah!
                      ... They said I'm much better now .... Tee Hee ...

Comment

Originally posted by almond mocha View Post
                        Lets see...I remember my sisters and I wandering the neighborhood behind Queens above the freeway, looking for seed pods to make seed leis, as well as toilet paper leis to give to the roller derby guys at the Civic - especially the Graham brothers. We were still in intermediate school but had crushes on them. We also used to go to KGMB to watch wrestling on Saturdays. When we moved to Kalihi, Mahalo Market was on the corner and we used to go there to by RC cola for 25 cents! And I remember when the McDonalds on Dillingham opened! We used to save our lunch money and buy a Big Mac that we split 3 ways.
                        Oh yeah, roller derby at the civic, thanks for bringing that up. We use to catch the old green and white MTL bus from Kalihi.
                        bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Anyone remember the trolley bus? Every once in a while it would come off the wire and the driver had to go out and "hook" it back up.
                          I grew up in Kalihi and life was so laid back and loose. We walked everywhere and sometimes hitch hiked because people actually used to pick you up. Like everyone else I remember swimming in the streams in the valleys, playing all day long until your mother yelled at you to come in to eat dinner. Saturdays at the local theater watching cartoons, in the Kalihi/Palama area there was Kalihi, Palama, and Liliha theaters. Good times.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
                            Anyone remember the trolley bus? Every once in a while it would come off the wire and the driver had to go out and "hook" it back up.
                            I grew up in Kalihi and life was so laid back and loose. We walked everywhere and sometimes hitch hiked because people actually used to pick you up. Like everyone else I remember swimming in the streams in the valleys, playing all day long until your mother yelled at you to come in to eat dinner. Saturdays at the local theater watching cartoons, in the Kalihi/Palama area there was Kalihi, Palama, and Liliha theaters. Good times.
                            On Kauai my Grandma use to tell us go hitchhike if us like go Eleele eat saimin or go store. By the time we get back, she knows who picked us up.

In HS we use to "thumb" to Waianae, Wahiawa, Kunia! Back in da day was good fun. OR we use to borrow surf racks and putt'um on my girlfriends car and go Ewa Beach, Waianae side or North Shore, pick up & drop off surfas. Ok so we were "cutouts."
                            ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

I'm still growing up, seeing as I'm still a teen. (:
                              But I have both grown up here in Hawaii as well as Oregon. Two different, but great experiences.

Well, back when I was younger, I used to do a lot of camping and going to the beach..when I was in Eugene, OR, I didn't get to do those things very often, and the school system(now) is different as well, confusing. >_>

It's not..different. But not the same as people up on the mainland. But the food is. xD Hm...when I was living in Hawaii...which I am..again, but back then, I didn't feel so ..out of it. I was tan, I spoke pidgin(despite the fact that my mom didn't want me to), and I was what you could call "more local". Compared to, I lived in Oregon, became pale, my English became better. xD

But eh, I'm still growing, and I'm not that great at explaining. D:

Comment

2 LA television icons die - Chucko The Clown & Lloyd Thaxton

Charles Runyon, as Chucko
                                www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-runyon9-2008oct09,0,4088677.story?track=rss

Lloyd Thaxton
                                www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-thaxton8-2008oct08,0,2214593.story

This news is certainly a dimmer on what was a fine day, but at least they both had good runs in LA TV and are remembered fondly by many.

Thanx guy's!
                                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
                                X